The Big Show at Xcel - Gopher Recruiting Misses?

GoldMedalCounty

Reaction score
I love the spectacle of the state hockey tournament, but I'm not a college hockey recruiting guru, so I want to ask a question that's bugged me for years.

Every year we see a dominant player like Ben Hanowski, Drew LeBlanc, Matt Cullen, etc. in the state tournament that the Gophers didn't give a sniff. This year it looks like Alex Bump and Daimon Gardner will fall into this category. ...

Is it time to openly say the Gophers will always have 1-2 scholarships available until March 15th? Would enough of these kids going to non-premier programs bet on themselves that it would be worthwhile?

Bump is going to Vermont, I think it's fair to say we're not the only program that overlooked him....
Keeping scholarships open hoping for a later bloomer at the tourney is a terrible idea. While I would absolutely love to see Bump in maroon & gold, it's hard for me to look at Bob's recruiting results (especially next year's class) and complain a whole lot.

Bump has a family connection with the Vermont coaching staff, and Vermont got in on him long ago.

I love the spectacle of the state hockey tournament, but I'm not a college hockey recruiting guru, so I want to ask a question that's bugged me for years.

Every year we see a dominant player like Ben Hanowski, Drew LeBlanc, Matt Cullen, etc. in the state tournament that the Gophers didn't give a sniff. This year it looks like Alex Bump and Daimon Gardner will fall into this category. ...

Is it time to openly say the Gophers will always have 1-2 scholarships available until March 15th? Would enough of these kids going to non-premier programs bet on themselves that it would be worthwhile?
Alex Bump committed to Vermont on October 11, 2021. Not sure it has anything to do with keeping a scholarship open until March 15th. Plus contrary to football, hockey teams only have 18 scholarships for the whole team. So even the very best players don’t get full scholarships. If the gophers get Logan Cooley to sign his NLI as a top 5 draft prospect I would gladly take him over Alex Bump who played well for 1 tournament.

Alex Bump committed to Vermont on October 11, 2021. Not sure it has anything to do with keeping a scholarship open until March 15th. Plus contrary to football, hockey teams only have 18 scholarships for the whole team. So even the very best players don’t get full scholarships. If the gophers get Logan Cooley to sign his NLI as a top 5 draft prospect I would gladly take him over Alex Bump who played well for 1 tournament.
I mean to be fair Bump played amazing all year, not just at the tourney. I think any gopher fan would love to have Bump, but like you said if we're getting guys like Cooley, I can handle missing on a late bloomer. He's not going to UND, Wisconsin, Michigan, UMD, SCSU - I can sleep at night.

I mean to be fair Bump played amazing all year, not just at the tourney. I think any gopher fan would love to have Bump, but like you said if we're getting guys like Cooley, I can handle missing on a late bloomer. He's not going to UND, Wisconsin, Michigan, UMD, SCSU - I can sleep at night.
Yes there are 6 bleeping D1 hockey teams in Minnesota and he is going to Vermont. That’s awesome for him and I hope he’s happy. It’s tough when you’ve only got room for 30 guys and you are the “state of hockey”. Frankly I want the gophers to get older with 20 year old freshman unless they are superstars.

Yes there are 6 bleeping D1 hockey teams in Minnesota and he is going to Vermont. That’s awesome for him and I hope he’s happy. It’s tough when you’ve only got room for 30 guys and you are the “state of hockey”. Frankly I want the gophers to get older with 20 year old freshman unless they are superstars.
See Meyers, Ben

The kids that go East come back to play at home with a high frequency. Jus sayin. Oh and the top 18 kids all get full scholarships. Where do they get this stuff?

Top Bottom