The best year ever.

Schnoodler

Ice Cream Abuser
Reaction score
Obviously not, but maybe one of the most interesting.

In responding to another post from a long time Gopher fan who's a bit down right now it suddenly dawned on me that we might be experiencing the most interesting Gopher year in a very long time, probably since Holtz got us all believing.

The biggest thing of course is Brewster. CAn he save his job, and if so what will it take. It's absolutely fascinating to watch this unfold. But in the finer points of this it gets more interesting.

Brew has pinned his hopes on a new OC with a hammer of a scheme, and Coscgrove. Horton was heralded as our savior coming in. We lauded the commitment to pounding the rock. Now we see what that means, and we don't necessarily like it. Cosgrove has his hands full with talented but inexperienced players. Can he get performance before it's too late?

And then there are the story lines,seemingly one a week, first Jerry Hoese, then Cosgrove's son's leukemia, and now TS.

On top of that Weber is chasing records, TS if he returns is as well, Gray is atop the WR charts despite still looking a little uncomfortable, a RS freshman on the OL, freshmen all over the D. A plethora of kids we have waited to see now being depended on. Everywhere you look is a story that is already framed up just waiting to be told. Pick a position and there is a story that most of us could begin to tell. It really is fascinating.

This may be the most interesting night of the year. It may also be the last time we are favored all year, and what is interesting about it is that Brewsters job is on the line (and I mean he may get canned immediately and not the end of the year like we all expect) in a game the oddsmakers expect to be decided by a field goal. This is what really interests me as I head into the game. We obviously could very easily lose this game, as NIU is a solid team, and it would be very interesting to see what the administration would do if the team left NC 1-3.

This is literally the biggest game of Brewster's career. If we can't beat NIU at home, we can't expect to beat anyone else on our schedule. If the unthinkable happens, they should fire Brewster tonight. This is year four and Brewster looks completely over matched. He might still be able to eck out a few more victories and save his job, but that remains to be seen. Even if he does, it's not like next season we'll be better: we have to replace 4 of 5 offensive linemen and break in a new qb. Maybe 2013 we'll get back to the Insight Bowl.

This is literally the biggest game of Brewster's career. If we can't beat NIU at home, we can't expect to beat anyone else on our schedule. If the unthinkable happens, they should fire Brewster tonight. This is year four and Brewster looks completely over matched. He might still be able to eck out a few more victories and save his job, but that remains to be seen. Even if he does, it's not like next season we'll be better: we have to replace 4 of 5 offensive linemen and break in a new qb. Maybe 2013 we'll get back to the Insight Bowl.

And then what?? Do you even think about it before you type it?

If they make a decision at this point, and by if I mean no way in hell, they decide Brewster is not their man, they still don't make a move anytime soon.

If they make a decision at this point, and by if I mean no way in hell, they decide Brewster is not their man, they still don't make a move anytime soon.

I don't understand why I keep seeing that there's no way in hell that Brewster gets fired during the season. Maturi has done it before with the basketball program. Obviously, it's not ideal and it's not what Maturi wants to do. But "no way in hell"? If we lose tonight, we could be in hell and find out.

Exactly. But do you see the difference? Munson quit on his team, the program was eroding and their was nothing to be gained in retaining Munson. Certainly if it goes that direction Maturi has to act.

But that is not the case here. One guy get's in trouble and gets angry about being suspended and everyone thinks Brew is losing the team. This happens on every team and it's happened to Brewster every year. It's not losing the team. Brew continues to recruit, academics continue to improve. The fact of the matter is that the program is getting better with Brewster here than a vacant coaching position. This is what is lost on so many. Maturi could make a decision today to find a replacement and Brew will still be here coaching on the sidelines against Iowa.

I don't think Brewster gets fired tonight. I think the Gophers win. I DO think Brewster gets fired at the end of the season unless things turn around. I buy the argument that Bruinicks and Maturi's waning careers might play into the mix, but if the season is below .500, I still think they can Brewster.

That said, let's talk hypotheticals. Let's say the Gophers lay an egg and get beat by NIU. A lot of folks around here claim there is no benefit to firing Brewster mid-season, and thus there is no way it will happen.

Not so. There is one HUGE benefit to firing Brewster mid-season if things go completely in the weeds. That benefit is...

>drum roll please<

IT GETS THE ISSUE OF FIRING BREWSTER OFF THE TABLE.

...off the headlines, off talk radio, off the forums, off the chants during games, etc., etc., etc.

Then the news is, who is next? That's FAR better P.R. for the program, and would be played as moving on and moving forward.

Does it hurt recruiting? Yes. So does keeping a lame duck. If the Gophers suck, and Brewster is obviously gone, recruiting is shot ANYWAYS. The only good thing you can do is turn the page.

That said, let me re-iterate that I think the Gophers win tonight, and Brewster remains through the season. If they do manage to lose, however, as they've proven they are capable? All bets are off...

I guess people forget Mason damn near got fired right after WINNING against NDSU...word is had they made that field goal he would've gotten the boot...

Will Brewster be fired before the end of the season? Doubt it...

Maturi is a horrible AD though...

I don't think Brewster gets fired tonight. I think the Gophers win. I DO think Brewster gets fired at the end of the season unless things turn around. I buy the argument that Bruinicks and Maturi's waning careers might play into the mix, but if the season is below .500, I still think they can Brewster.

That said, let's talk hypotheticals. Let's say the Gophers lay an egg and get beat by NIU. A lot of folks around here claim there is no benefit to firing Brewster mid-season, and thus there is no way it will happen.

Not so. There is one HUGE benefit to firing Brewster mid-season if things go completely in the weeds. That benefit is...

>drum roll please<

IT GETS THE ISSUE OF FIRING BREWSTER OFF THE TABLE.

...off the headlines, off talk radio, off the forums, off the chants during games, etc., etc., etc.

Then the news is, who is next? That's FAR better P.R. for the program, and would be played as moving on and moving forward.

Does it hurt recruiting? Yes. So does keeping a lame duck. If the Gophers suck, and Brewster is obviously gone, recruiting is shot ANYWAYS. The only good thing you can do is turn the page.

That said, let me re-iterate that I think the Gophers win tonight, and Brewster remains through the season. If they do manage to lose, however, as they've proven they are capable? All bets are off...

I don't think too many argue that point. In fact i think many who are supporting Brewster have made this point. But he hasn't lost this team. And remember that firing Brewster mid season means an empty recruiting year. Bresters first class has handicapped Brewster every year. And he retained many of Masons kids, imagine if all of Masons kids had wandered off due to two months of vacant coaching. We really want to avoid that again if at all possible.

I don't think it will happen but if they lose bad to NIU then I do think Brewster will get fired. Horton could finish the year. Losing to USD and NIU would be worse than what Monson did to get fired.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brewster gets canned during the season (after a huge loss of course). Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to sports. Logic says that it would come after the season but logic and sports don't always go together.

If TBgets fired at all, who ever comes in next yr. will not have a bare cupboard. Like I have said before, we have alot of good young athletes. Why we are not doing better is befuddling. Remember the head coach does little actual coaching!! are our assistants that bad???? I don't think so, but something is wrong. However that being said, I think, unlesss the coaching is really the prob. the D will continue to improve because these kids are young but good athletes. As to replacing the O-line next yr. Look at the stable of big young kids that will be ready to step right in. I am betting some of them will get good playing time this yr. Whether its TB or someone new we will be alot better FB team the next 2 yrs.

Exactly. But do you see the difference? Munson quit on his team, the program was eroding and their was nothing to be gained in retaining Munson. Certainly if it goes that direction Maturi has to act.

But that is not the case here. One guy get's in trouble and gets angry about being suspended and everyone thinks Brew is losing the team. This happens on every team and it's happened to Brewster every year. It's not losing the team. Brew continues to recruit, academics continue to improve. The fact of the matter is that the program is getting better with Brewster here than a vacant coaching position. This is what is lost on so many. Maturi could make a decision today to find a replacement and Brew will still be here coaching on the sidelines against Iowa.

what proof do you have of this? ultimately a coach is judged on wins and losses and the results for Brewster so far are not good.

I don't think too many argue that point. In fact i think many who are supporting Brewster have made this point. But he hasn't lost this team. And remember that firing Brewster mid season means an empty recruiting year. Bresters first class has handicapped Brewster every year. And he retained many of Masons kids, imagine if all of Masons kids had wandered off due to two months of vacant coaching. We really want to avoid that again if at all possible.

second time this argument has been made the last 2 days. when Brewster was hired in 2007 has no affect whatsoever on 2008, 2009 and 2010. that is just a poor attempt at an excuse.

If TBgets fired at all, who ever comes in next yr. will not have a bare cupboard. Like I have said before, we have alot of good young athletes. Why we are not doing better is befuddling. Remember the head coach does little actual coaching!! are our assistants that bad???? I don't think so, but something is wrong. However that being said, I think, unlesss the coaching is really the prob. the D will continue to improve because these kids are young but good athletes. As to replacing the O-line next yr. Look at the stable of big young kids that will be ready to step right in. I am betting some of them will get good playing time this yr. Whether its TB or someone new we will be alot better FB team the next 2 yrs.

this was the argument that many made for the defense to be improved right away this year. so far hasn't worked out that way and now the reasoning is that they are young and inexperienced.

He's building a solid recruiting class. What exactly do you think would happen to the class if Brew is fired now? Do you think there is a plethora of guys waiting to come here who would play for anyone just not Brewster. Our class would be empty. It doesn't take much thinking to fiugre that out.

I'm not sure if you're dumb or just don't get the value of experience. We are fielding a mostly freshman defense not because we love to play freshmen but because we don't have any experienced depth. That class is this years juniors and seniors. Get it?? I highly doubt you do.

Most people did not expect the defense to improve right away. Most expected doom and gloom. Our most glowing outlook in the media was 3-9 all because of the defense. Those who expected the defense to improve did so with the expectation of a learning curve. It's game four.

Schnoodler you are typical Brewster buddy. If you don't like what someone says you resort to calling them "dumb" and no way are they as smart as you or know what you know which from reading your posts isn't much.

you give Brester way too much credit for his recruiting. did it ever occur to you that another reason someone chooses to play for Minnesota because it is a great university in a great area?

actaully you might be the guy that told Sid the U was last in the B10 for their football budget. are you a relative of Brewster's?

Then quit being dumb.

Actually that guy was an organization that reports these things. And they are dead last. What is at issue is that the various reports aren't created in the same way so it's difficult to know what is included in each schools budget and what isn't. But don't let the actual story get in the way of your nonsense.

The administration that is trying to protect itself is the only ones saying they are somewhere in the middle. Not saying they're wrong, but one source is more prone to bias than the other.

With all due respect, here's what you do. Name Horton interim head coach and start the search.

Schnoodler you are typical Brewster buddy. If you don't like what someone says you resort to calling them "dumb" and no way are they as smart as you or know what you know which from reading your posts isn't much.

you give Brester way too much credit for his recruiting. did it ever occur to you that another reason someone chooses to play for Minnesota because it is a great university in a great area?

actaully you might be the guy that told Sid the U was last in the B10 for their football budget. are you a relative of Brewster's?

I think Schoondler is Brewster!!!

And just who is going to commit to an interim coach? Plus the only reason to do it is because the coach has lost the team, guess what, the coordinators lost them too. The best thing the U can do if they are going to make a change is to play along and show support and keep the time between fire and hire as short as possible, as in hours. Or at most one day.

Mason was fired late, and early. Too late for a good search, and too early because he had to be let go before his new contract year started so they didn't have his replacement hired yet. You want a very small gap to keep continuity. There is a good chance that a good hire can retain everyone. But a gap will erase most of that potential.

Then quit being dumb.

Actually that guy was an organization that reports these things. And they are dead last. What is at issue is that the various reports aren't created in the same way so it's difficult to know what is included in each schools budget and what isn't. But don't let the actual story get in the way of your nonsense.

The administration that is trying to protect itself is the only ones saying they are somewhere in the middle. Not saying they're wrong, but one source is more prone to bias than the other.

Or it could be Brew cites a flawed report to justify losing to a division 2 team.

With all due respect, here's what you do. Name Horton interim head coach and start the search.

The only way this happens is if the players quit on Brewster. A win tonight is badly needed for all; the players, the fans and the coaches.

That's what I'd do if I felt I had to fire him. That said I'd at least wait until the gophers are completely out of bowl contention before making that call. That means no sooner than the day after the Penn state game. Tonight however could change everything.

Or it could be Brew cites a flawed report to justify losing to a division 2 team.

I think Brew has a pretty good handle of the inputs into his program compared to others. And he's never said it's crap, only that he's at a disadvantage. Maturi himself has admitted that our neighbors all have larger paid staff than the Gophers. That is a real difference.

We want a winner, then you have to have the inputs of winners. It's pretty simple. If we're in the middle, I'm not happy with that. We're trying to catch up, we better be at the top of everything.

With mediocre investment you get mediocre results.

Well perhaps it was a bit too much to ask to spend a little time on some of the other things happening with the program. It's too bad so many have so little depth they can't see anything but wins and losses.

I find this year fascinating. I would have even without the Brewster hot seat.

So few people with experience

Fewer with critical thinking skills. The last option is to fire the coach. There are several problems with coaching change during the season and late in the recruiting season. First, you still have to get a coach to come in, preferably one who is active. Inactive coaches are inactive for good reason. Plus, they get rusty being out of the game. Even a year out can be detrimental to staying current with the game. As for the recruiting angle, the problem with losing a recruiting class runs into the same thing that happened after Mase was sacked and Brewster brought in, a weak class. We can't afford to have 2 week classes in 4 years. That would set the new coach too far back to have any type of season for at least 4 years, maybe even 5 years. So, there is zero advantage to firing Brewster this season. I would be the first to get in line to see him get on a plane out of here. However, I don't want that to happen because on a talent management perspective, it would set the organization years back. Successfully moving this team requires some time to go by.

Rome is buring, no time to wait

Even I can appear to be like Nero, fiddling while Rome burns. The program is sinking so fast that there is only one course of action to take. Hire Paul Bunyan to put the fire out. Bring a very big bucket please!

Top Bottom