The Best 3-9 Team In College Football History

The Fighting Jeff Hortons finished with two straight Big Ten wins, didn't lose to Illinois, and brought home the Pig. Did anyone storm the field when Nebraska blew it at home against Iowa this year to end the season? For some dumb Heroes trophy? Didn't think so.

They can brag about losing close games all they want but that's a better 3-9 season than what Nebraska had. Scott Frost is still objectively worse than Tim Brewster's era.

I honestly do think they're gonna be good pretty soon. I think Frost investing in some good assistants this offseason will make a huge difference

I honestly do think they're gonna be good pretty soon. I think Frost investing in some good assistants this offseason will make a huge difference
I don't think they will be while Frost is there. Their losing problem starts there. In my opinion, the longer they keep him, the worse off the program.

A nebraska fan I know did actually tell me that they are the best 3 win team in the country. True story

I don't think they will be while Frost is there. Their losing problem starts there. In my opinion, the longer they keep him, the worse off the program.
Why do you think that?

Here is the other thing about their 3-9 season. The best win is Buffalo. And Buffalo went 4-8.

Why do you think that?
Ongoing NCAA investigation for, among other things, moving strength training off campus to avoid detection by school officials during the pandemic. Rumors of hookers and edibles. Starting players transferring and unhappy. Recruiting rankings dropping. Even aside from all of this embarrassment for Nebraska, it isn't the assistant coaches who are responsible for the horrendous W-L, it's the HC.

Last year they had a huge exodus that was masked by the transfer portal incoming talent. It seems as though they have had a lot more defections this year (leaving early, transfers out, etc.) but this time it won’t be as easy to replace them with a dead man walking coach.

either way they should probably be pre season ranked because, you know, Nebraska.

You are right. They played six ranked teams - most of them highly ranked - dead even. This was their best team since Pellini, but they are losing in the portal and recruiting is meager, though the new OC may bring in a good QB for a new system. Frost is humiliated, can't call plays, his buyout halved, salary down, had to fire four assistants, etc.

Buyout drops in October I believe, so Frost could be out after about 4 games next year if things start cold.

Ongoing NCAA investigation for, among other things, moving strength training off campus to avoid detection by school officials during the pandemic. Rumors of hookers and edibles. Starting players transferring and unhappy. Recruiting rankings dropping. Even aside from all of this embarrassment for Nebraska, it isn't the assistant coaches who are responsible for the horrendous W-L, it's the HC.
There are definitely many signs of chaos with that program.

I am still not convinced his turnaround of UCF was fluke enough that Nebraska won't significantly improve.

Also, there is something to be said for being competitive in 12/12 games. I am not sure how frequently a team that finishes in the bottom half of a conference like the Big Ten or SEC goes a whole season without a loss where the margin was not greater than one posession. It has to be very rare.

Of course, losing 9 games (however it happens) can crush the will of a program.

Nebraska is a 7-5 team if you just use the 2nd half. I believe Brewster also won the 2nd halves when he was "coach".

They payed some good teams close ... so a handful of moral victories.

Then they lost to teams they greatly out recruit (until very recently...).

That's bad.

If they were a one win team last year ... I could see a "We're actually better than 3 wins" kinda argument, but that's something some REALLY BAD type teams would argue ...

As I mentioned on the potential recruiting violation thread in the MBB forum, their athletic department is a dumpster fire right now. I think they would fit in perfectly back in the Big12.

A nebraska fan I know did actually tell me that they are the best 3 win team in the country. True story

Seriously? Better than all the other three win teams in the country? Some top competition there.

I haven't looked up all the other 3-9 teams but I guess it's possible? But yes, a silly thing to even tell someone. Kind of sums up where they are at.

Top Bottom