The Beach extends Monson

SelectionSunday

Reaction score

To this point (still a bunch of schedules not finalized), Monson has one of the 10 toughest nonconference schedules in the nation (based on average RPI of opponents) for 2010-11. Last season the 49ers had the 2nd most difficult nonconference schedule according to CollegeRPI.com.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/15295/long-beach-state-extends-dan-monson

I have no clue what he is thinking with that schedule, but he has a very good club that may well win the conference this year. Oddly he seems to be recruiting better out there than here- already has a good 3* PG for next year and his incoming class is good. Is Jacob Thomas cleared?

Good 4 Him

Monson is a good coach who didn't fit well for the Gophers.

LB State has a good tradition (Tark and Lute coached there) and West Coast is a better fit 4 him.

I have no clue what he is thinking with that schedule, but he has a very good club that may well win the conference this year. Oddly he seems to be recruiting better out there than here- already has a good 3* PG for next year and his incoming class is good. Is Jacob Thomas cleared?

http://www.longbeachstate.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/lbst-m-baskbl-mtt.html JT not listed on roster (yet) but that may not mean anything.

Monson recruited pretty well at Minnesota overall, if not every single class. For EG he landed Hoffarber and Nolen, who are key cogs for the 2011 Gophers.

Monson recruited pretty well at Minnesota overall, if not every single class. For EG he landed Hoffarber and Nolen, who are key cogs for the 2011 Gophers.

Kris Collins
Aliou Kane
Kerry Woolridge
Rico Tucker
Brandon Smith
Limar Wilson
Kevin Payton

That enough busts for ya?

Kris Collins
Aliou Kane
Kerry Woolridge
Rico Tucker
Brandon Smith
Limar Wilson

Nope. EVERYBODY signs them. Tubby signed a few - Jason Parker, Rashaad Carruth, Shagari Alleyne, Rekalin Sims just to name several - at UK.

Monson generally recruited OK at Minnesota.

Dan may be a good coach, and he's done a solid job at LBSU so far, but no one of sound mind can say he was a good coach at Minnesota. I count at minimum three Gopher teams of his that were of NCAA caliber (2001-02, 2002-03, 2005-06) but significantly underachieved. I count one that significantly overachieved (his only NCAA team of 2004-05).

No offense FOT, but you appeared out of the blue (on GopherHole) and are only here because your "friend" inherited the substantial mess left behind by the previous coach. I'll listen to what you have to say when you're talking about Cincinnati and Purdue -- schools to which you obviously have close ties -- but anything you say regarding the Gopher basketball program (especially pre-Tubby) I take with a huge grain of salt. You didn't experience that dreadful period first hand like a lot of the diehard Gopher basketball fans did.

Dan may be a good coach, and he's done a solid job at LBSU so far, but no one of sound mind can say he was a good coach at Minnesota. I count at minimum three Gopher teams of his that were of NCAA caliber (2001-02, 2002-03, 2005-06) but significantly underachieved. I count one that significantly overachieved (his only NCAA team of 2004-05).

No offense FOT, but you appeared out of the blue (on GopherHole) and are only here because your "friend" inherited the substantial mess left behind by the previous coach. I'll listen to what you have to say when you're talking about Cincinnati and Purdue -- schools to which you obviously have close ties -- but anything you say regarding the Gopher basketball program (especially pre-Tubby) I take with a huge grain of salt. You didn't experience that dreadful period first hand like a lot of the diehard Gopher basketball fans did.

(I said) Monson is a good coach but not at Minnesota. Good at Gonzaga. Pretty good at LBSU.

(I also said) Monson recruited OK / pretty well at Minnesota. Not great, not perfect.

Is Jacob Thomas cleared?

My understanding is that he's taking classes, but is a nonqualifier and won't be practicing or doing anything with the team this season. If he can get his grades right in his first year at LBSU, he could become eligible to play next season.

FOT will disappear the day Tubby leaves. He doesn't care about the University of Minnesota.

Those were brutal years and Monson was in over his head. His only legitimate recruit before Hoff (not counting the ones who decommitted elsewhere) was Vincent Grier.

Monson was brutal, seemed like a nice guy who you wanted to do well. Couldn't recruit (or wouldn't work at it) and was overmatched against the rest of the Big Ten coaches.

Not to bring up football issues but at least with Brewster you know he is busting his butt and giving his all. Never got that impression with Monson.

if by pretty good you mean welcoming back natives who decided that the colleges the went to/committed to were the wrong choice.

humphries chose mn so he could put up stats. coleman came back. hargrove left and came back.

monson was not good at anything at minnesota.

Yes, transfers (in and out) are part of recruiting. Pitino thrived on them (Ford, Pope, Anderson, Dent, Brown, Evans) at UK.

Monson did OK at recruiting, all-in-all.

Monson was brutal, seemed like a nice guy who you wanted to do well. Couldn't recruit (or wouldn't work at it) and was overmatched against the rest of the Big Ten coaches.

Not to bring up football issues but at least with Brewster you know he is busting his butt and giving his all. Never got that impression with Monson.

Again he did NOT do well at Minnesota but IS a good coach and has shown it elsewhere.

Monson At Minnesota Vis-A-Vis Minnesota All-Time

Minnesota (Big Ten Conference) (1999–2006)
1999–2000 Minnesota 12-16 4-12 10th
2000–2001 Minnesota 18-14 5-11 9th NIT 2nd Round
2001–2002 Minnesota 18-13 9-7 6th NIT 2nd Round
2002–2003 Minnesota 19-14 8-8 T-6th NIT Fourth Place
2003–2004 Minnesota 12-18 3-13 T-10th
2004–2005 Minnesota 21-11 10-6 T-4th NCAA 1st Round
2005–2006 Minnesota 16-15 5-11 10th NIT 2nd Round
2006–2007 Minnesota 2-5 0-0 N/A
Minnesota: 118-106 (52.7%) 44-68 (39.3%)
Monson All-time: 208-170 (55%) 87-101 (46.3%)

Minnesota (all-time) counting Haskins:
Overall Record: 1430–1051 (.576), Conference Record: 691–743 (.482)

Kris Collins
Aliou Kane
Kerry Woolridge
Rico Tucker
Brandon Smith
Limar Wilson
Kevin Payton

Rico Tucker was a decent player and great defender, transferred back to Cali and was plaged by injuries. Branding Smith wasn't a bust either, last I checked he was putting up big numbers in Europe. No idea why he left the program when Tubby arrived.

Yes, transfers (in and out) are part of recruiting. Pitino thrived on them (Ford, Pope, Anderson, Dent, Brown, Evans) at UK.

Monson did OK at recruiting, all-in-all.

monson was brutal. end of story.

you're out of your element.

In fairness to Monson, I think you guys are being a bit harsh and perhaps not appreciating the utter mess he inherited. IMO, Monson did as well as anyone could have through 3/3/02. That was the day of the epic melt-down against Illinois. Had we won that game we would have made the NCAA tournament that year. Instead we didn't and I think his whole tenure turned. It was never the same after that.

I'm not saying he was ever going to be a great Big 10 coach, but he wasn't completely over his head like say, Brewster for example. :cool: His recruiting was indeed medicore at best, but however he ended up with them, he did get some talent in the fold eventually. Even as late as the 05-06 season, I thought he did a nice job rallying them back from 0-6 in the Big 10 to reach the NIT. But it was sliding downhill fast at that point and too late to salvage. I think Brewster's in a similar spot. He might rally the troops to 5-6 wins, but it's too late.

In fairness to Monson, I think you guys are being a bit harsh and perhaps not appreciating the utter mess he inherited. I think Monson did as well as anyone could have through 3/3/02. That was the day of the epic melt-down against Illinois. Had we won that game we would have made the NCAA tournament that year. Instead we didn't and I think his whole tenure turned. It was never the same after that.

I'm not saying he was ever going to be a great Big 10 coach, but he wasn't completely over his head like say, Brewster for example. :cool: His recruiting was indeed medicore, but however, he ended up with them, he did get some talent in the fold eventually. Even as late as the 05-06 season, I thought he did a nice job rallying them back from 0-6 in the Big 10 to reach the NIT. But it was sliding downhill fast at that point too late to salvage. I think Brewster's at a similar spot. He might rally the troops to 5-6 wins, but it's too late.

Very well stated.

monson was brutal. end of story.

you're out of your element.

Sorry but I've followed Big 10 basketball closely since I matriculated at Purdue Univ in 1969.

I only paid attention to Gophers twice a year. They USUALLY played Purdue tough ESPECIALLY in Twin Cities.

In fairness to Monson, I think you guys are being a bit harsh and perhaps not appreciating the utter mess he inherited. IMO, Monson did as well as anyone could have through 3/3/02. That was the day of the epic melt-down against Illinois. Had we won that game we would have made the NCAA tournament that year. Instead we didn't and I think his whole tenure turned. It was never the same after that.

This has always been my belief. Monson in all likelihood was not a top tier Big Ten coach but he was up against the 8-ball here.

As painful as it sounds, the Athletic Department might have been better off hiring one of the Bierman janitors or a HS coach to coach the team for those first 2-3 years of the sanctions/penalties, just to take those lumps and not cost the University much money. THEN, they could have gone after somebody, a young up-and-comer, who was a good fit for a nice re-building job.

The Illinois game was a killer. Who KNOWS what the landscape of things would have looked like over the next couple seasons had they just hung on and won that game. With an NCAA berth on his resume, recruiting would have improved, everything changes. Might have been interesting to see.

This has always been my belief. Monson in all likelihood was not a top tier Big Ten coach but he was up against the 8-ball here.

As painful as it sounds, the Athletic Department might have been better off hiring one of the Bierman janitors or a HS coach to coach the team for those first 2-3 years of the sanctions/penalties, just to take those lumps and not cost the University much money. THEN, they could have gone after somebody, a young up-and-comer, who was a good fit for a nice re-building job.

The Illinois game was a killer. Who KNOWS what the landscape of things would have looked like over the next couple seasons had they just hung on and won that game. With an NCAA berth on his resume, recruiting would have improved, everything changes. Might have been interesting to see.

Maryland did that by hiring Wade after Driesell left, then Gary Williams after Wade was gone.

slow down

I'm not a Monson guy, but my gosh people. The atmosphere he inherited was the worst you can imagine. How could someone recruit against that ammunition by rivals. If he could overcome that perception, he had massive NCAA restrictions to overcome.

Probably was successful at Gonzaga because of his assistants. He's a decent coach, certainly not a great coach but the circumstances would beat anyone down at the U of M during his tenure.

As was said, however they got here, he had a lot good players. He recruited better than he coached in my opinion.

Tubby coaches better than he recruits.

Kris Collins
Aliou Kane
Kerry Woolridge
Rico Tucker
Brandon Smith
Limar Wilson
Kevin Payton

Rico Tucker wasn't a bust. If he had stayed he would have helped the Gophers.

Smith, loads of talent without any commitment, worth the risk though.

Limar Wilson wasn't that bad.

The others were a bust.

It was a relatively warm early March afternoon and I was so aggravated when I got home from the game that I threw on my running clothes and took my fastest run ever. If there had been a marathon that afternoon I might have won the damn thing.

Eight and a half years later and we are still talking about that game. All they had to do was get the ball across the center court once and maybe the next five years of gopher basketball wouldn't have been wasted. Oh well.

My understanding is that he's taking classes, but is a nonqualifier and won't be practicing or doing anything with the team this season. If he can get his grades right in his first year at LBSU, he could become eligible to play next season.

http://www.longbeachstate.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/thomas_jacob00.html

He's now on the roster, but-

Three expected prospects - recruits Khalid Gerard, Shelton Boykin and Jacob Thomas - are were unable to join the team due to academics. Thomas, who insiders say could be the best pure shooter in LBSU history, will sit out this season to get the books in order. The Minnesota prep star will need to pass grades this year in order to be eligible for next season.

Top Bottom