The Barn

Did they remove 94-98 as part of the sanctions or what?
Maybe:
Per Wikipedia

Sanctions​

Self-imposed​

Following an internal investigation launched on March 19, 1999, the university self-imposed the following sanctions on its men's basketball program, among others:
  • A postseason ban for the 1999–00 season;
  • A reduction of three scholarships for the 1999–00 season and a total of four scholarships reduced from the 2000–01 and 2003–04 seasons;
  • Forfeiture of 90% of money earned from appearances in the 1994, 1995, and 1997 NCAA Tournaments.
On June 25, 1999, the university paid $1.5 million to buy out the contract of Clem Haskins. It hired Gonzaga head coach Dan Monson a month later to replace Haskins. This was four months after Gonzaga beat Minnesota in the NCAA Tournament.[7] On November 19, 1999, the same day that Minnesota released its report of its internal investigation of the scandal, Minnesota president Mark Yudof accepted the resignations of vice president McKinley Boston and men's athletic director Mark Dienhart.[8]

Three years later, on May 13, 2002, Hennepin County District Judge Deborah Hedlund ordered Haskins to return $815,000 of the $1.5 million in buyout money paid to him. This was based on an arbitrator's recommendation, after the university argued that Haskins had committed fraud by lying to the NCAA yet accepting the buyout money.[9]

They should stop doing it at the Final Four then.
Maybe I am wrong and we could have elevated floor. Final four is usually in stadiums and the sight lines and money are put ahead of safety. You really think the U would do that in a new stadium, no way...

Maybe I am wrong and we could have elevated floor. Final four is usually in stadiums and the sight lines and money are put ahead of safety. You really think the U would do that in a new stadium, no way...

They would possibly do it if season ticket holders and boosters complain loudly enough.

My time at the U coincided with the last 5 years of the Dan Monson era. I watched a lot of bad basketball at Williams Arena. However, it was fun being part of the very first Barnyard and was part of the group of only ~100 student season ticketholders in the fall of 2004, before some dude named Vince Grier single-handedly dragged the Gophers to the NCAA tourney.

Also, Williams Arena is by far the better venue for state basketball. Even Mariucci Arena is better for basketball than Target Center.

The elevated floor is terrible for sightlines. No reason to keep it outside of nostalgia.

Top Bottom