The Band Pit

My preference would be to give the band an entire section - either 121 or 129. They can have all the space they need to be loud! They look so squished together currently. Then fill in the current band area to match the rest of the stadium.

My preference would be to give the band an entire section - either 121 or 129. They can have all the space they need to be loud! They look so squished together currently. Then fill in the current band area to match the rest of the stadium.
This is the correct answer. They were trying to do something special and highlight the band with their own dedicated area right at field level, something that is not common. Of course, then everybody shits all over it if it's not perfect. The easy answer is to do exactly as you describe; blow up the band pit, make it match the adjacent seating areas, and stick the band in the section next to the student section in one of the corners like almost every other college stadium. If the band grows/shrinks, you just sell more or less seats behind them in that section. Additionally, the higher they are, the better the sound carries.

This is the correct answer. They were trying to do something special and highlight the band with their own dedicated area right at field level, something that is not common. Of course, then everybody shits all over it if it's not perfect. The easy answer is to do exactly as you describe; blow up the band pit, make it match the adjacent seating areas, and stick the band in the section next to the student section in one of the corners like almost every other college stadium. If the band grows/shrinks, you just sell more or less seats behind them in that section. Additionally, the higher they are, the better the sound carries.
exactly. Amen.

Why this hasn't been done yet is strange to me, especially considering the wacky disjointed way the band has to be positioned now.

I guess everyone has their particular annoyances. The configuration of the band pit never bothered me. The fact that we allowed an opponent’s band into our stadium to keep their team and fans rev’d up bothers me immensely. Maybe there’s some NCAA rule that says we have to. I don’t know. In my mind that’s part of home field advantage. There should never be an opposing band in our stadium.

I guess everyone has their particular annoyances. The configuration of the band pit never bothered me. The fact that we allowed an opponent’s band into our stadium to keep their team and fans rev’d up bothers me immensely. Maybe there’s some NCAA rule that says we have to. I don’t know. In my mind that’s part of home field advantage. There should never be an opposing band in our stadium.
I actually enjoyed that, USC has a traditional band and having them there was fun and helped the atmosphere. We don't get many traveling bands coming anymore these days

As a former band member with a wife that was a member, a daughter that was a member and even a father-in-law and sister-in-law that were members, the size of the pit has bothered me from day one also.

I've said if I ever won the lottery, I would donate money to expand the band pit so it goes from tunnel to tunnel and even up a couple rows so they can all fit. But since I don't even play the lottery, the odds of that happening are basically zero.

Sounds like we know who to blame for the band issues. Sorry HopHead. This is on you.

Very petty.

The USC Band travels to EVERY Trojan away game.

Also while they're on the roof ....

They should let me build a nice big condo up there with a deck I can watch the game from. I promise I will be a good neighbor up there.
A Gopher Athletics department representative would like to know if you are interested in a premium seating option, with suites as low as XXXXX please dial...

Disagree. Having the band and opposing band adds to the pageantry of CFB and something that differentiates it from the NFL.

My annoyance is our band doesn't travel. Probably why it seems foreign to you lol

That is actually a former Pac-10 thing. All the marching bands sent basketball-sized pep bands to road football games, and occasionally the whole band coming. I know the Oregon full band was booed mercilessly when they did their full pregame and halftime at Husky Stadium in Seattle.

Incidentally, that game in 2007 also featured Dennis Dixon and Jonathan Stewart running the most lethal play fakes I've ever seen at any level of football.

As a former band member with a wife that was a member, a daughter that was a member and even a father-in-law and sister-in-law that were members, the size of the pit has bothered me from day one also.

I've said if I ever won the lottery, I would donate money to expand the band pit so it goes from tunnel to tunnel and even up a couple rows so they can all fit. But since I don't even play the lottery, the odds of that happening are basically zero.
As a fellow former band member I agree. In addition, I would say that there should be some extra railing or something that discourages students from trying to rush the field through the band pit.

Then, field rush protocol can become "Stay put in the pit until the field is clear enough that it is safe to leave", rather than what it is now.

Disagree. …
My annoyance is our band doesn't travel. Probably why it seems foreign to you lol
I don’t mind you disagreeing. We all have opinions. But it would seem the U of M is in the vast majority, not minority. In the 14 years I’ve spent as a season ticket holder, I don’t remember any B1G school bringing their band into our stadium. It’s possible some have, but it’s mighty rare.

I don’t mind you disagreeing. We all have opinions. But it would seem the U of M is in the vast majority, not minority. In the 14 years I’ve spent as a season ticket holder, I don’t remember any B1G school bringing their band into our stadium. It’s possible some have, but it’s mighty rare.
It's definitely on the rarer side, but it has happened.

Ohio State, Nebraska, and Iowa have all had their bands travel to our stadium once since it opened.

It's definitely on the rarer side, but it has happened.

Ohio State, Nebraska, and Iowa have all had their bands travel to our stadium once since it opened.
USC may be the only visiting band to appear at the Bank more than once now.

All the marching bands sent basketball-sized pep bands to road football games
A men's sized basketball or a women's sized basketball? There's a difference of 46 cm^3 between them...

Top Bottom