The band and dance line have been replaced

oak_street1981

Reaction score
by Dick Jonchowski's blathering and endless time out promo BS. It was beyond appalling last night at the NU game. They might as well remove the band if this is how it is going to play out.

Last night was as bad as it has ever been. This mess did not resemble a College Basketball environment in any way. Subway Subway, Subway, LandOLakes, xct, shooting contest, dance off, blather, ect.

A Jan Ganglehoff pork rind eating memorial contest or 1 minute seminar paper writing seminar might have been better if she wasn't worm bait. Hell, a Chris Voelz femi-nazi 30 second speech about how the Duke rape case was justified would have been better. How about a tribute to the boathouse?

For just about every full timeout during the 1st half we were subjected to some inane contest and/or the bellowing of the PA announcer.

The dance line would then walk on to the court for 10 seconds. One Rouser and maybe one other school song the whole first half at best; but a whole lot of Dick Jonchowski bellowing!

I hope they do not butcher the environment in a similar way next year during the football games.

2nd the motion

We talked about it during the game. It's a complete wreck. 'Frickin stupid' doesn't do it justice. What a worthless excuse for a college game experience. It's painful to remember back to the days before that color scoreboard - or even back about 15 years, when they would strike up the band during practically every timeout. You got to hear a good portion of the band's repertoir at every game back then. These days you don't even get a taste of their tunes unless you come at least 1/2 hour early. Well, at least we have memories.

Don't blame Jonkowski

He doesn't decide how many or when the promos take place during media timeouts. Blame the Gopher Marketing department trying to make some extra money and sacrificing a college atmosphere for that resembling something over near 1st avenue.

Why complain now when it has been this way for years? Nothing new happened on Sunday.

Tell me when it would have been appropriate to begin complaining, and I'll make my remarks retroactive to that date. Thanks in advance.

This has obviously been talked about before, but the advertisements, lack of flow, etc. are making it very, very hard to renew for next year. I'm afraid the only way anything would ever change is if a bunch of people didn't renew and gave this as a reason to the athletic dept. If this is the atmosphere they are going to give us, then they might as well go ahead and rip the barn down and replace it with a Kohl Center 2.

I have never been a fan of Jankowski or however you spell his name but all the advertising has really hurt the Barn's atmosphere the last 5 years or so.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wouldn't it be fun to see the financial numbers on this? Just exactly how much does the U get from all that promo B.S. during the timeouts? (I can't imagine Jax Cafe is putting in a ton of cash for that "hide the nut" advertisement of theirs.)

I saw the replay of the Northwestern game on the tube and they showed Maturi in attendance. Maybe Joel sees the advertising as a necessary evil. Maybe all those folks see it like that until they are forced to see it another way. Maybe Joel doesn't give a rip.

Sending Maturi an email on this issue, or a dozen emails, likely will not make a difference. And I think it's sad. The Gophers are selling the soul of the Barn. And for what exactly?

Can't there be some middle ground? Couldn't the marketing department cut this crap in half?

Money talks. Simple as that. The simple matter is that everyday it is become more and more expensive to run a high D-1 athletic department.(Also being on the edge of the Big Ten geographically doesn't help-basically means more flights.) Also factor in that the Metrodump is providing compartively little revenue to other Big Ten fields puts an even bigger burden on MBB to finance the department. Although mens hockey does break even(I believe) helps they need the extra income.

There are multiple ways of fixing it and all of them involve large amounts of money. So unless you and your friends can pony up a few million, you will more than likely have to get use to it. Look on the bright side at least we(meaning the U) dont have a "NBA style" arena like O$U, Wisco or PSU and have no atmosphere at all.

Dick J. is not the issue. I did not blame Dick, but the

He doesn't decide how many or when the promos take place during media timeouts. Blame the Gopher Marketing department trying to make some extra money and sacrificing a college atmosphere for that resembling something over near 1st avenue.

awful environment the athletic dept. has created.

The promos are bad enough but the inane nature of most of them makes it all the worse.

"Everybody On Your Feet And Make Some Noise For A Chance To Get A Land-O-Lakes Basketball"

Of course the cheerleaders can only get the ball into the first three rows.

And isn't the Noise Meter exciting.

Let's not forget the high drama of the Jax Cafe Pea Game. Has anybody EVER lost?

Don't blame Jonkowski

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He doesn't decide how many or when the promos take place during media timeouts.

Maybe not but he still sucks.

I'm of the definite opinion that I would be very successful in marketing. As has been previously stated, ads are part of the game, but they could be integrated a little better I think. Gopher gameday has lost its way a bit in the last few years, starting under Monson, I think. There's no reason to ever have to hear Jock Jams. The highlight video that they run out to is boring and slightly obnoxious. I think the U marketing department just needs to realize that the Barn is old and classy, and Target Center marketing will be ineffective there.

They need to STOP with Dick J's advertising and replace it with better signage. The signage in the barn is a relic (which part or me likes) and needs to be replaced with the LCD ribbon that every arena in the country has. The ribbon would go around the entire facia of the second level (and they could even add more ribbon along the facia of the suites).

I think making this slight upgrade to the Barn would limit what is now taking place and allow the U much more flexibility in their marketing.

Dick J might be an institution at the U, but he needs to do a better job of making these vocal advertisments more seemless. Second, I don't need to see two idiots try and shoot layups for 30 seconds either. If you didn't play basketball or wearing an animal outfit I don't want to see you.

Tubby

Tubby's $2.3M salary has to come from somewhere.

I used to think it was Monson. Now it is obvious that the TV timeouts, the coaches' timeouts, the constant advertising and the fact that the refs have become bigger than the game, have destroyed what was once one of the best environments in all of sports. The building never really has a chance to get loud because there are so many stoppages in play. The game against WI next week will likely be the most raucous of the year, but it won't be close to how the Barn sounded circa 1997.

It's a shame.

i thought this thread was about the dance line. I was going to comment that the best dance line I ever saw was at shiek's downtown during my brothers bachelor party. but I guess i'll save that story for a thread actually about dance lines.

Where's the rouser?

When there is a time-out after a Gophers rally, there are repeated times every game when the band sits there and waits 15-20 seconds for a stupid advertisement to start. At least there could be a short rouser every time the team rallies. It's like the band director is not watching the game and the PR people control no matter what. This started as a problem under Monson but it's not improved in the last 2 years.

Dick, the self-named "Polish Eagle" is a self-promoting d-bag that should be replaced. Bums have been on the campus' West Bank for 40 years, but it doesn't mean we need to embrace them.

Dick, the self-named "Polish Eagle" is a self-promoting d-bag that should be replaced. Bums have been on the campus' West Bank for 40 years, but it doesn't mean we need to embrace them.
Give a dog access to the Internet and a keyboard and all kinds of droppings get left.

Snowman....I have a pooper scooper if you need to borrow it.

39342972.html

I do not believe anyone has posted this great article on this thread yet.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/39342972.html?elr=KArksUUUU

It is where he proclaims his name as the 'Polish Eagle." You also have to love his jokes. They can be kind of riskay at times.

So who bestowed "tomdog" on you?

Top Bottom