The Athletic's plan to save the non-conference season

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Again, seems impossible to pull off, but at least it's refreshing to read something offering a potential solution for the (hopefully) upcoming season.

Gophers would be in Rochester Mayo Civic Center bubble along with Iowa, Iowa State, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Northern Illinois, Northern Iowa, and Western Illinois. Gophers would play everyone except Iowa. Wouldn't be a terrible non-conference schedule with games vs. Iowa State, NDSU, and UNI.

Great on paper — when it costs nothing to write out.

Who’s paying for all this? Travel, hotels, food? What if a player gets sick? Are all teams quarantined? How do you get a quarantined player home, isolated from the team? Private charted van?

Who’s going to put in all the work to organize everything?

On paper, it’s great. Will get clicks.

And that’s as far as it will go.

Who’s paying for all this? Travel, hotels, food? What if a player gets sick? Are all teams quarantined? How do you get a quarantined player home, isolated from the team? Private charted van?

Gopher Hole’s Dan Wolken.

Agreed. It’s time to just push the stop button on athletics and hit play when we are thru this. Restart with new rules like 4 years of collegiate play. No red shirts no grad transfers etc.

Reactions: sal

Nice to see some solutions, gives us hope. Would be a fun format if they can pull it off.

As my guy And Dufresne so appropriately said: "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

1597076121653.png

Go Gophers!!

Nice to see some solutions, gives us hope. Would be a fun format if they can pull it off.

As my guy And Dufresne so appropriately said: "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

View attachment 9058

Go Gophers!!
Amen, Bleed. I'm a big believer in hope! Beats the alternative.

Andy Dufresne also said something else that I wholeheartedly agree with:

"Either get busy living, or get busy dying."

Um ... another quote from Andy:

I was in the path of the tornado… I just didn’t expect the storm would last as long as it has.

Just saying.

Jeff Goodman shared an idea like this on his pod a couple weeks ago. Interesting idea

Though this would be fun, I don't see any particular reason to try and save the non-conference schedule. Just focus on getting the conference games in. If you want a couple of gear up games, play SDSU and NDSU in a round robin at Target Center

Aaand this is why he's on ignore by 2x his nearest "competior".

No reason at all for "buy" games as there will be no (or few) fans. Probably no exempt tourneys as it requires a long travel and putting 4 to 8 teams in close proximity increases chances of wide exposure.

The question for me, if there is a season at all, is whether the contracted challenge games go on, Gavitt & ACC. I expect other NC local games like Iowa/Iowa St, Marquette/Wisconsin, Indiana/Butler, Cincy/Xavier can be worked in.

What I suggested on another forum was start either Dec 23rd (if you want to utilize the holiday period) or Jan 2 (if you want to give the students more freedom to be with family), play 3-5 NC games over 2 or 3 weeks. Start league play around mid January and play 20-26 league games. Skip the conference tourney and go straight to NCAA with a 96 team field. Top 32 get a bye, top 20 leagues send their best 2 teams, bottom 12 get one bid, leaving 44 at large.

With no tournaments on final weekend, have last games be played on Saturday afternoon. Committee sets field on Saturday night. Opening games on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday or Wednesday/Friday/Sunday.

Amen, Bleed. I'm a big believer in hope! Beats the alternative.

Andy Dufresne also said something else that I wholeheartedly agree with:

"Either get busy living, or get busy dying."
We’re all living right now. So your quote had no context.

Top Bottom