The Athletic: The promise of Minnesota’s Matt Simon goes beyond receivers’ production

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Mitch:

Simon, at age 36, is the Gophers’ wide receivers coach, passing game coordinator and co-offensive coordinator. He’s one of the most promising assistant coaches in college football, with a long list of players he’s helped propel to stardom, and a future that figures to include his own ascension of the coaching ladder.

“It’s only a matter of time before the whole country knows him,” said Kirk Ciarrocca, the Gophers’ offensive coordinator and longtime Simon mentor.

It’s working out, all right.

“It’s interesting when you coach a guy and you see him as a player, then you watch him as a coach,” Fleck said. “You watch him get married and have kids, be there as a dad. It’s an incredibly proud feeling to know you’re a small piece of that.

“And I’m not a huge piece; I’m a small piece. Matt’s earned everything that he’s ever gotten. I knew from early on that he’d be a phenomenal coach.”

Fleck will be on stage Tuesday at Big Ten media days in Indianapolis. Behind the scenes back home, Simon, the rising star, plays a key role in the development of Fleck’s offense and in the installation of his culture.

Go Gophers!!

Really nice article on Simon! I'm liking the fact that The Athletic seems to be making an effort with more Gopher content for the preseason!

Top Bottom