The Athletic: The most intriguing men’s college basketball players for the 2020-21 season (#23. Both Gach, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hamilton:

23. Both Gach, Minnesota
On this roster alone, it’s tough to decide between the 6-6 Utah transfer or Liam Robbins, the 7-foot up-transfer from Drake who already received his waiver to play in 2020-21. Robbins definitely helps fill the size void left by Daniel Oturu, and he was a 20-and-10 guy on a per 40-minute basis as a sophomore, but expecting that sort of production to translate immediately to the Big Ten is a stretch. Gach hadn’t yet gotten the yay or nay on his waiver as of this writing, so that instantly makes his situation more intriguing. But he has played at the power-conference level. And while his sophomore numbers weren’t incredible (10.7 points, 3.6 rebounds, 2.9 assists per game and an effective field goal percentage of just 45.5), they do have a glue-guy feel; the curiosity would be how much Gach’s athleticism adds to that to make him a sort of uber-glue guy, or better.

Go Gophers!!

I’m expecting for Gach to be a lot more than just a glue guy, I think he’ll be the second leading scorer on the team and be a high usage guy and also a guy who may take the last shot on the team depending on if he or Carr has the hit hand.

Tre Williams and Brandon Johnson are more what I would consider “glue guys” which is someone who isn’t particularly skilled offensively but will always give 100% on the defensive side and get pesky rebounds.

When do we get word on his waiver? I wasn't nervous about it but now I am.

When do we get word on his waiver? I wasn't nervous about it but now I am.
I saw a tweet from Marcus earlier that had indicated they haven't even submitted the waiver yet, but are planning to soon possibly next week. I am not sure why they are waiting, but they would have to be extremely confident in it getting granted if they are holding off this long.

I saw a tweet from Marcus earlier that had indicated they haven't even submitted the waiver yet, but are planning to soon possibly next week. I am not sure why they are waiting, but they would have to be extremely confident in it getting granted if they are holding off this long.
They could not submit the application until he was in school. I believe classes just started...

I’m expecting for Gach to be a lot more than just a glue guy, I think he’ll be the second leading scorer on the team and be a high usage guy and also a guy who may take the last shot on the team depending on if he or Carr has the hit hand.

Tre Williams and Brandon Johnson are more what I would consider “glue guys” which is someone who isn’t particularly skilled offensively but will always give 100% on the defensive side and get pesky rebounds.
I like the idea that we are going to have so many guys that have a chance to score in double figures on a given night. Gach, Robbins, Gabe, Carr, Johnson, Mashburn and Ihnen. Curry if healthy...

I like the idea that we are going to have so many guys that have a chance to score in double figures on a given night. Gach, Robbins, Gabe, Carr, Johnson, Mashburn and Ihnen. Curry if healthy...

Has potential to be a very deep team.

Might take some time to mesh, but there doesnt appear to be a wasted roster space

Has potential to be a very deep team.

Might take some time to mesh, but there doesnt appear to be a wasted roster space
As much as I like a team that has a lot of different scoring options, I think the more important thing is that you have a team that has the defensive grit to hold the high-scoring opponent to 60 points if that's what it's gonna take to win. Not having that most years seems to be the Gophers biggest issue.

As some have pointed out, the Gophers record could have been much better last year if they could've just come up with a couple of big stops per game in those close losses. Hopefully, our new guys and the young guys set to get more run this season, can add "Stopper" to the top drawer of their tool chest this year.

You’d like to think anyone on your list could average double figures. Tre
Williams can get to 10 once in awhile. The wild card for me is Mutaf. Scoring is his strength. How comfortable will he be? How will he adapt and fit in? He could surprise us all or be forgotten.
Omersa, Mitchell and Freeman probably are not getting to 10 more than once if ever this season. Freeman may if he gets to play.

Chico: better defense may happen but more offense is almost a certainty.
We have more scoring options this year. It’s a better team. It’s a different team.
We will out score people more than we shut people down. Pitino hasn’t had this much offense.

As much as I like a team that has a lot of different scoring options, I think the more important thing is that you have a team that has the defensive grit to hold the high-scoring opponent to 60 points if that's what it's gonna take to win. Not having that most years seems to be the Gophers biggest issue.

As some have pointed out, the Gophers record could have been much better last year if they could've just come up with a couple of big stops per game in those close losses. Hopefully, our new guys and the young guys set to get more run this season, can add "Stopper" to the top drawer of their tool chest this year.
I agree with you. Based on what we are coming in with, if injuries are no worse than is normal we should be a better defensive team as well. There is no excuse not to be. Carr will get more rest time so his defense should improve and he needs to if he wants to go up a level. Gach has the athleticism to be a defensive pest, Robbins is a shot blocker. Mashburn comes in with a rep that he defends. Johnson seems to be feisty. We have more guys who can defend. We have to do it.

Well we have great length and a shot blocker in the middle. When Pitino has done well defensively this has been the formula. In some of the recent years we have been so poor guarding the perimeter but I think Gach on one side and Gabe on the other should really help. Tre Williams has a chance to be defensive stopper as well. Additionally, the minutes played should go down for everyone, which should pay dividends later in the year. As we have seen from the baseball season depth is so important.

Gach was Jimmy Butler like for Austin with key deflections to steals, steals, rebounds and transition dunks.
There is a lot of space between Austin and the Miami Heat but the potential and aptitude is there to deliver big plays. Not something that happened much last year or even seemed like it could. Coffey had some moments in his time earlier.

Did you guys know that Liam Robbins led the nation in shot blocks for sophomores? A solid rim protector will make our defense better in many ways. Reggie was huge in that role.
No doubt our defense should be vastly improved but I’m more excited about the difference in offensive weapons and depth.

Chico: better defense may happen but more offense is almost a certainty.
We have more scoring options this year. It’s a better team. It’s a different team.
We will out score people more than we shut people down. Pitino hasn’t had this much offense.
I'd say Robbins presence automatically ensures better defense. Bigger body who won't leave the post as much as Oturu. Add to that the following:
Johnson could wear a cast and be more mobile than demir on defense.
Gach is way longer than the guy he is replacing.

Defense should easily improve.

Did you guys know that Liam Robbins led the nation in shot blocks for sophomores? A solid rim protector will make our defense better in many ways. Reggie was huge in that role.
No doubt our defense should be vastly improved but I’m more excited about the difference in offensive weapons and depth.

Chicks dig the long ball

I'd like to see the Gophers play more 2-3 match up zone with those long mobile wings and Robbins in the middle. Plenty of length to go after passing lanes and still have the big guy waiting to shut down anyone coming to the middle.

Top Bottom