The Athletic Ranks The BIG

Tier Three? I'd pick MN over MD for Tier Two.

I can see why The Athletic ranked MN Tier Three. MN has to beat Iowa and Illinois.

For those looking for more context and the link:

Tier 3

Minnesota​

The Gophers, in the past three full seasons, have won 11, nine and nine games. They did just enough, though, last season to let the Big Ten West title slip from their grasp. It was there for the taking as Minnesota featured experience and skill at all levels on offense and a defense directed by coordinator Joe Rossi that played better than the sum of its parts.

The pieces look different in 2023. Gone are quarterback Tanner Morgan and running back Mohamed Ibrahim. Athan Kaliakmanis enters at QB after he performed well in relief of Morgan last year. Can Sean Tyler (Western Michigan) in the backfield and fellow transfers Corey Crooms (Western Michigan) and Elijah Spencer (Charlotte) at wide receiver step in and replicate their impressive Group of 5 production?

Proven playmakers Chris Autman-Bell at receiver, tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford at tight end and Tyler Nubin in the secondary provide leadership.

But another nine-win season requires Minnesota to overachieve.

Go Gophers!!

"Gophers have to replace Morgan and Ibrahim."

this has been a Gopher football preview brought to you by ChatGPT.

I'm starting to think this is like one of those term papers that gets posted online and results in multiple kids turning in the same term paper for class.

Basically they think the top 3 are going to be really good (MI, OSU, PSU) and everyone else after that has questionmarks.

Somehow they feel Wisconsin has the fewest question marks of the teams in the West although I don't really agree with that line of thinking it does seem to be a common one this off season. People buying into the Fickell hype....here's hoping it ends up being Scott Frost North.

"Gophers have to replace Morgan and Ibrahim."

this has been a Gopher football preview brought to you by ChatGPT.

I'm starting to think this is like one of those term papers that gets posted online and results in multiple kids turning in the same term paper for class.
It is interesting that these previews all act like Morgan was the QB all of last season. I know the Athletic one mentions Athan playing well in relief of Morgan but they still kind of phrase it like he is a brand new starter this year.

I really hope the offense surprises people this year by going back to more of a 2019 look. The assumption has become that we can't throw over the past few seasons but this year could provide a bit of a wakeup call. QB with a really good arm and a bunch of weapons in the passing game.

The wake up call that I want to see for the national media is like a 45-10 thrashing of Nebraska.

Is this for this year? Not sure how Illinois is a tier ahead when they haven’t finished ahead in the standings in a long time. Also I see little reason to think Illinois will be better this year than last year.

No other team ever has to replace a qb and rb. Totally reasonable to rate us lower. /s

Basically they think the top 3 are going to be really good (MI, OSU, PSU) and everyone else after that has questionmarks.

Somehow they feel Wisconsin has the fewest question marks of the teams in the West although I don't really agree with that line of thinking it does seem to be a common one this off season. People buying into the Fickell hype....here's hoping it ends up being Scott Frost North.
The new air raid offense really plays to Wisconsin's strengths.

It is interesting that these previews all act like Morgan was the QB all of last season. I know the Athletic one mentions Athan playing well in relief of Morgan but they still kind of phrase it like he is a brand new starter this year.

I really hope the offense surprises people this year by going back to more of a 2019 look. The assumption has become that we can't throw over the past few seasons but this year could provide a bit of a wakeup call. QB with a really good arm and a bunch of weapons in the passing game.
It is oblivion that Athan Kaliakmanis defeated Wisconsin last season in Madison.

The Gophers are the Rodney Dangerfields of the Big Ten.

Top Bottom