The Athletic: Minnesota wins the Big Ten if … Quarterback Tanner Morgan plays every game like he did against Nebraska.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Athletic:

Minnesota wins the Big Ten if … Quarterback Tanner Morgan plays every game like he did against Nebraska. Morgan completed 14 of his first 15 passes and was 20 of 24 overall. That was in contrast to a 5-of-13 passing day for 59 yards against Bowling Green. The Gophers are much improved defensively and have enough of a running game to threaten any of its remaining foes.

Other items from their Big Ten mid-season reset:

• Minnesota: With an impressive and gutsy victory at Purdue, the Gophers remain in contention despite losing its top two running backs for the season.

Biggest disappointment

At surface level, three losses to teams ranked in the top 13 is nothing for which Wisconsin to be ashamed. However, the manner in which the Badgers (3-3, 1-2 Big Ten) have performed — especially on offense — is not up to their standard after debuting at No. 12 in the national polls. With three touchdowns and nine interceptions, the passing game has become a net negative to a team with an elite defense. In the past, the Badgers could rely upon its running game but with last year’s starter Jalen Berger leaving the program and Isaac Guerendo out for the season, even that area has slumped dramatically. There’s still time to make up ground in the Big Ten West, but it’s completely on the defense to keep the Badgers in games.

Go Gophers!!

We DO have a chance! We have to take it one game at a time and each game gets bigger and bigger with more on the line and the stakes are risen. Each successive win puts us in a better spot and the games get more meaningful. If we lose, we can't get down and have to just get back to the drawing board and start over again.

We DO have a chance! We have to take it one game at a time and each game gets bigger and bigger with more on the line and the stakes are risen. Each successive win puts us in a better spot and the games get more meaningful. If we lose, we can't get down and have to just get back to the drawing board and start over again.
Yep. First half of the year has had a lot of ups and down. Injuries to key players, a baffling loss to a bad team, a dominant road blowout of a power 5 team, couple of conference wins and a competitive battle with one of the best in the league.....

But all that really matters is that with 6 games to go we control our own destiny and we have a schedule that doesn't look super daunting on paper with a bunch of very winnable games on it if we play the way we are capable of playing.

Could be a really fun second half, and if we take care of business it could end with a trip to Indy.

The Gophers are a far better team with Chris Autman-Bell in the lineup. They would not have lost to Bowling Green if he didn't go out on the first play. They would have probably played Ohio State even closer if he was active for that one.

Tanner had a very nice game but CrAB was the biggest reason why.

I truly think they can win the West if he is healthy the rest of the way. He may be the team's most important player over the next 6 games.

The Gophers are a far better team with Chris Autman-Bell in the lineup. They would not have lost to Bowling Green if he didn't go out on the first play. They would have probably played Ohio State even closer if he was active for that one.

Tanner had a very nice game but CrAB was the biggest reason why.

I truly think they can win the West if he is healthy the rest of the way. He may be the team's most important player over the next 6 games.

There is definitely a gap from CAB to the #2 right now. That doesn't mean the other young receivers won't grow to his level or past, but it's not close right now.

Granted, even without the picks Fleckball might have gone full terrapin and ran every play anyway (though I think they were changing their best)
perhaps if the Gophers get a lead this Saturday the other team will try and mate with us in the 2nd half

Yep. First half of the year has had a lot of ups and down. Injuries to key players, a baffling loss to a bad team, a dominant road blowout of a power 5 team, couple of conference wins and a competitive battle with one of the best in the league.....

But all that really matters is that with 6 games to go we control our own destiny and we have a schedule that doesn't look super daunting on paper with a bunch of very winnable games on it if we play the way we are capable of playing.

Could be a really fun second half, and if we take care of business it could end with a trip to Indy.
Injuries to key players hasn't hurt us much. Fleck's best job so far is the depth of talent we now have. This is obvious at RB where we have lost a great one and a very good one and are still producing.

Wide receiver injury to CRAB seems to have hurt us but that is because Sanford has gone with a limited game plan when he is out. Why? We don't change the run game when new guys are used. This roster is full of talented receivers, many who came with impressive offer sheets. It is clearly Sanford's choice not to trust the young receivers in the full passing game. That's another in the lengthy list of Sanford errors.

If he throws 2 incompletions every game we might still win a national title

if he throws 2 interceptions every game we might not win a game

per The Athletic:

Minnesota wins the Big Ten if … Quarterback Tanner Morgan plays every game like he did against Nebraska. Morgan completed 14 of his first 15 passes and was 20 of 24 overall. That was in contrast to a 5-of-13 passing day for 59 yards against Bowling Green. The Gophers are much improved defensively and have enough of a running game to threaten any of its remaining foes.

Other items from their Big Ten mid-season reset:

• Minnesota: With an impressive and gutsy victory at Purdue, the Gophers remain in contention despite losing its top two running backs for the season.

Biggest disappointment

At surface level, three losses to teams ranked in the top 13 is nothing for which Wisconsin to be ashamed. However, the manner in which the Badgers (3-3, 1-2 Big Ten) have performed — especially on offense — is not up to their standard after debuting at No. 12 in the national polls. With three touchdowns and nine interceptions, the passing game has become a net negative to a team with an elite defense. In the past, the Badgers could rely upon its running game but with last year’s starter Jalen Berger leaving the program and Isaac Guerendo out for the season, even that area has slumped dramatically. There’s still time to make up ground in the Big Ten West, but it’s completely on the defense to keep the Badgers in games.

Go Gophers!!
He needs to play like he did in the FIRST HALF against Nebraska. Not like how he started the 2nd half which led him to also tuck the ball and run (for no gain) on a possession after his 2 picks. You could tell HE lost confidence and so did the OC.

First half Tanner showed us that he is the same person that he was in 2019, if he (and the rest of the offense) comes out hot there isn't a team in the B1G we can't go toe-toe with. We are a team who rides our highs very well and when we are in ruts and come out cold we struggle immensely. I wish the gophers would come out with that spark every time because not only do they play so well but they are also so much fun to watch like that.

If he throws 2 incompletions every game we might still win a national title

if he throws 2 interceptions every game we might not win a game
If his two ints count as his two incompletions, we aren’t losing again.

He needs to play like he did in the FIRST HALF against Nebraska. Not like how he started the 2nd half which led him to also tuck the ball and run (for no gain) on a possession after his 2 picks. You could tell HE lost confidence and so did the OC.
I don’t think Tanner lost confidence. The OC may have. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed Tanner get too down after a mistake.

I don’t think Tanner lost confidence. The OC may have. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed Tanner get too down after a mistake.
Of course you didn't notice it. He always keeps his oar in the water and keeps on rowing. The HYPRR culture does not let one get down after a mistake. You need to show your HOW and respond with gROWth.

I will say then if he hadn't lost his confidence there, he would have surveyed the field (as he had plenty of time - does he survey the field though? Another conversation) and found an open receiver. He did the tuck and run.. to me it looked as though he had lost his confidence at that point.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tanner, but he does seem to get shaken at times.

Are we going to see more slants and short passes incorporated into the game plan(s)?

2 ints a game will kill us!
i disagree, it didn't kill us in this game and if he performs as he did inclusive of those two picks, we win most if not all games. As long as they aren't pick six or int's deep in your own zone it's not a lot different than a punt. At least when you go for 10 yards a play every play, you have a pretty good chance of keeping a drive going. grinding 3-4 yards at a time on the ground always leaves you one play or one penalty away from killing a drive.

Can someone confirm if #9 WR Jackson was injured and unable to to play last week, or did he get sent to the doghouse?

Earlier this year, he appeared to be the clear #3 ahead of #22 Brown-Stephens and #14 Boyd but I did not see him out there at all last week.

Can someone confirm if #9 WR Jackson was injured and unable to to play last week, or did he get sent to the doghouse?

Earlier this year, he appeared to be the clear #3 ahead of #22 Brown-Stephens and #14 Boyd but I did not see him out there at all last week.
Injured, Fleck said he's probably questionable for Maryland. There is concern he may be near death

Thank you, I assumed he was was not ready to go last week, but did not know.

Top Bottom