The Athletic: College Football All America Teams at Midseason - Tyler Nubin 2nd team

MisterGopher

Reaction score

Second Team Defense & Special Teams
POS.PLAYERTEAM
DELaiatu LatuUCLA
DEAshton GillotteLouisville
DTTyleik WilliamsOhio State
DTHoward Cross IIINotre Dame
LBJason HendersonOld Dominion
LBCedric GrayNorth Carolina
LBPayton WilsonNC State
DBTyler NubinMinnesota
DBXavier WattsNotre Dame
DBJaylin SimpsonAuburn
DBKalen KingPenn State
KGraham NicholsonMiami (OH)
PJack BouwmeesterUtah
APSilas BoldenOregon State

Dragan Kesich is the best kicker in the NCAA and just needs a few more FG attempts.

The tape doesn't lie. He's a future NFL kicker. Should be first-team.

The only problem is that as I posted last season, a growing body of evidence shows that kicking the ball super deep on kickoffs actually improves opponent starting field position.

For the second straight season, the worst team at deep kickoffs (Northwestern) allows their opponents the worst starting field position. The team with the highest touchback % (Minnesota) allows the best starting field position to opponents.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 11.44.49 AM.png

Dragan Kesich is the best kicker in the NCAA and just needs a few more FG attempts.

The tape doesn't lie. He's a future NFL kicker. Should be first-team.

The only problem is that as I posted last season, a growing body of evidence shows that kicking the ball super deep on kickoffs actually improves opponent starting field position.

For the second straight season, the worst team at deep kickoffs (Northwestern) allows their opponents the worst starting field position. The team with the highest touchback % (Minnesota) allows the best starting field position to opponents.

View attachment 27740
Kickers going to the NFL is always such a crap shoot but agree that Kesich will have a great shot at making it with his long kickoffs and so far great accuracy on FGs which has been a really pleasant surprise.

As for he kickoff thing.....I will take a sure TB nearly every time over the risk of a long return. It might give the offense slightly better starting field position but also eliminates the chance of them getting great starting field position after a long return.

Top Bottom