The Athletic: Best X and O Coach and Next Big Time Coach Survey

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

30 coaches anonymous coaches respond with not much consensus (except for VanDerveer):

Who’s the nation’s best X’s and O’s coach?​

COACHTEAMVOTES
Tara VanDerveerStanford11
Geno AuriemmaUConn4
Jeff WalzLouisville4
Bill FennellyIowa State2
Karl SmeskoFlorida Gulf Coast2
Also receiving votes: Brenda Frese, Maryland; Kelly Graves, Oregon; Aaron Johnston, South Dakota State; Kevin McGuff, Ohio State; Joe McKeown, Northwestern; Lynne Roberts, Utah; Dawn Staley, South Carolina

Who’s the next big-time coach?​

RANKCOACHTEAMVOTES
1Lindy LaRocqueUNLV5
2Robyn FralickBowling Green3
2Lisa FortierGonzaga3
4Kristen GillespieIllinois State Redbirds2
4Tina LangleyWashington Huskies2
4Molly MillerGrand Canyon2
Also receiving votes: Trish Cullop, Toledo; Denise Dillon, Villanova; Megan Duffy, Marquette; Shauna Green, Illinois; Jan Jensen, Iowa (assistant); Carley Kuhns, Samford; Michaela Mabrey, Notre Dame (assistant); Joy McCorvey, Tennessee (assistant); Carrie Moore, Harvard; Tomekia Reed, Jackson State; Tami Reiss, Rhode Island; Alex Simmons, Gardner Webb; Tamika Williams-Jeter, Dayton

Unfortunately, the number one rising star on the survey Lindy La Rocque can't apply for the Gophers job because she doesn’t meet the requirements.

Unfortunately, the number one rising star on the survey Lindy La Rocque can't apply for the Gophers job because she doesn’t meet the requirements.
Is this true? I'm not doubting you, but if this is accurate what an insane arbitrary way of finding a coach. You get the best person. Period. If Dawn Staley only had 4 years of experience with multiple national championships, she wouldn't meet the U's requirements?

Anyone can apply for the job, even you or me. I trust that, if they thought she was interested and was a good candidate, they would find time for an interview.

Anyone can apply for the job, even you or me. I trust that, if they thought she was interested and was a good candidate, they would find time for an interview.
Not true- apply sure. Qualify- no.
See the thread on job posting qualifications the school set.

After some conversations yesterday, it is believed she to be a candidate, and has done a first round interview. One even said possibly a top option along with Duffy.

Coyle reached out to La Rocque himself and asked about her interest. I’d still think Duffy the favorite to get it tho.

It would seem to me that LaRoque, if she continues her current run of success (no matter where she is coaching), would be a strong candidate to take over at Stanford when VanDerveer retires.

If we hired her here, would she stay if Stanford came calling?

If we hired her here, would she stay if Stanford came calling?

No, but if Stanford comes calling then Gopher Women's Basketball is probably in a wonderful place. They can have their pick of any coach.

Besides, remember how concerned everyone was that Richard Pitino would be the Louisville coach when Rick retired?

No, but if Stanford comes calling then Gopher Women's Basketball is probably in a wonderful place. They can have their pick of any coach.

Besides, remember how concerned everyone was that Richard Pitino would be the Louisville coach when Rick retired?
Agreed, if the new coach has had time to establish the foundation for future success. But I think most ADs in P5 conferences would like to hire a coach that is unlikely to leave after just 2-3 seasons. You are always rolling the dice with a new hire.

After some conversations yesterday, it is believed she to be a candidate, and has done a first round interview. One even said possibly a top option along with Duffy.

Coyle reached out to La Rocque himself and asked about her interest. I’d still think Duffy the favorite to get

Coyle reached out to La Rocque himself and asked about her interest. I’d still think Duffy the favorite to get it tho.
Well, if that is true that is great, but I'm skeptical.
Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 4.21.00 PM.png
What would be the point of establishing qualifications and then not following them....especially at an academic institution?
I'm not a Coyle fan, but if he is dumb enough to establish those qualifications, publicize them ...he can't be so cavalier to just ignore them? Makes no sense. There are a lot of attorneys representing their candidate short on experience per requirements who would be lined up.
And then again, maybe it's how we got here.

Well, if that is true that is great, but I'm skeptical.
View attachment 24603
What would be the point of establishing qualifications and then not following them....especially at an academic institution?
I'm not a Coyle fan, but if he is dumb enough to establish those qualifications, publicize them ...he can't be so cavalier to just ignore them? Makes no sense. There are a lot of attorneys representing their candidate short on experience per requirements who would be lined up.
And then again, maybe it's how we got here.
You are right to be skeptical, required qualifications are absolutely required at the U. They would have to pull the listing and realist the posting. I know several people who have hired at the U and they have had to relist positions because of issues with required experience.

The Athletic writes popular articles for popular entertainment. Enjoy it for having some names to talk about but not a real accurate ranking.

Missing from that list are numerous obvious names. Niele Ivey at Notre Dame won ACC Coach of the Year. I would say Kenny Brooks of Virginia Tech. Dawn Staley should be near or at the top. Teri Moren Big Ten Coach of the Year who also won a gold medal in 2022 for Under 18. Kim Barnes Arico who won B1G Coach of the Year last year is missing. I would also say Lindsay Gottlieb at USC.

Top Bottom