The 2022 Gophers football season will be a success if?…

Agree with the "gotta win the west" crowd. It is time. Take the next step. If they do not win the west but get a decent bowl game (even a New Year's bowl), it will be a mild disappointment. And I guess once I think of that in those terms, it is easy to see progress has been made and it has raised expectations.

A seasoned squad and a manageable schedule means it's now or never to win the West. Indy or bust.

As we sit here today, I agree that winning the West would make this a successful season. Now that may change as the year goes on but with a fully healthy roster we should be in the mix for and hopefully the winners of the West this year.
I only differ is that I think a season can be successful and disappointing at the same time.
If the gophers are 11-1 and the badgers are 12-0
It would be successful. But it would be disappointing too.

Including the bowl game (and a Big 10 championship game if we get there) ----

9 wins - modestly successful (back-to-back 9 win seasons hasn't happened since I've been a Gopher fan)

10 wins - clearly successful

11 wins - highly successful

12 or more wins - The 1st and 2nd Commandments should be suspended, Fleck should thereafter be honored as a diety and Rossi and Ciarrocca as Archangels.

Last edited:

9 wins - modestly successful (back-to-back 9 win seasons hasn't happened since I've been a Gopher fan)

12 or more wins - The 1st and 2nd Commandments should be suspended and Fleck should thereafter be honored as a diety
Well stated. 8 wins I would say is not a failure but wouldn't excite anyone.

9 wins in the regular season capped off with a bowl win.

Also, it’s time to beat Iowa.

I only differ is that I think a season can be successful and disappointing at the same time.
If the gophers are 11-1 and the badgers are 12-0
It would be successful. But it would be disappointing too.
After yesterday we know that ain't gonna happen......

12 or more wins - It’s time for Gophers fans to each increase their donations and NIL support, and show Coach Fleck that his vision for Minnesota to become a National Championship level program can come to fruition.

…if we beat BOTH wisconsin and Iowa. I was going to put just beat Iowa (it’s time) but F that, it’s time we truly take the next step and beat both. IT’S TIME!!

Go Gophers!!

Revisiting my success criteria before the season started, and this was before we knew that Iowa and wisconsin were going to be so beatable. While I am extremely happy we beat uw two years in a row (and 3/5), and I'm glad we finished with a bowl win, this will go down as the ultimate "what if" season and continued frustration with the Iowa hurdle we can't get over.

While not a failure of a season by any means, I stand by my initial definition of success, which we didn't meet.

Go Gophers!!

Concur Bleed. Holding everything equal beating I-O-W-A would really top it off.

Alas, the scheduling gods are not holding everything equal so buckle-up GopherHole 'cuz next year and beyond will not be Kansas...

Thanks again Bleed for the fantastic service you provide to this forum and all who follow it.

1672376900403.png

If we had beaten Purdue, we'd have won the west. If we had beaten Iowa instead, just missing the west would've stung less. Happy with 9 wins, but they got so close to more that I can't help be a bit disappointed.

Next year expectations are lower due to Michigan and OSU on the schedule, but the gophers have a chance to shock everyone next year with AK at QB and a (hopefully) revitalized passing game. Now we begin the long countdown to next season...

Top Bottom