The 2020 Minnesota Class

On paper his crootin' hasn't been too bad he has landed some hyped ones (Jelly, Coffey), got lucky with Murphy, what about player development? Kind of poor for the most part IMO. And some of the in game coaching seems lax compared to his peers. Maybe it's less on recuiting and more on development and coaching? At least I think it is.

Losing Ben Johnson was a huge blow to the recruiting of in state players. just saying

Losing Ben Johnson was a huge blow to the recruiting of in state players. just saying

Was it though? What MN kids have gone to Xavier since he's gone there? I've met Ben and I have the utmost respect for him. I also know he is well liked in MN, but people were whining about us not getting enough MN kids when he was here too. If I have to take Rob Jeter or Ben, I take Rob all day everyday. Now Linsted and Ben could be a different conversation.

One of the few rational ideas of AKA I am the walrus says is it is conference games that count and I would add getting to the NCAA. if MN does not make the NCAA after seven years of Little Ricky's tenure it is time for a change.

One of the few rational ideas of AKA I am the walrus says is it is conference games that count and I would add getting to the NCAA. if MN does not make the NCAA after seven years of Little Ricky's tenure it is time for a change.
Just so you know...he has made it twice. Is there something special about what happens exactly in year 7?

Was it though? What MN kids have gone to Xavier since he's gone there? I've met Ben and I have the utmost respect for him. I also know he is well liked in MN, but people were whining about us not getting enough MN kids when he was here too. If I have to take Rob Jeter or Ben, I take Rob all day everyday. Now Linsted and Ben could be a different conversation.
I think the issue is that Ben had been developing relationships with these 2020 recruits for years and then he abruptly leaves and another assistant has to start over. I think Pitino overly relied on Ben in that regard. Since Ben's departure, Pitino has been much more involved with the local recruits and Lindsted / Jeter / Conroy have been really strong at developing relationships locally. I've heard good rumblings about the 2021 class and beyond.

Just so you know...he has made it twice. Is there something special about what happens exactly in year 7?
He has made the NCAA's. Winning the conference is much more difficult. Contending in the conference shows you have built something and that your ready to be a factor in the tourney. You have done something really special when you win the conference. It matters a great deal to every coach and player. Hell, you can go 9-11 and make the tourney. On topic, i do think Jeter is a huge upgrade. Evaluation of who fits, who you can get and then developing them into a team is the charge for every staff.

I think the issue is that Ben had been developing relationships with these 2020 recruits for years and then he abruptly leaves and another assistant has to start over. I think Pitino overly relied on Ben in that regard. Since Ben's departure, Pitino has been much more involved with the local recruits and Lindsted / Jeter / Conroy have been really strong at developing relationships locally. I've heard good rumblings about the 2021 class and beyond.

Yes we knew that would be an issue with the 2019 kids, but this staff had opportunities to get 2020 kids and did a great job rebuilding relationships with the Carlson's and Garcia's of the world. Even if we didn't land them, Lindsted and Jeter are well thought of I heard. The issue with Ben with me was his scouts. Jeter teaches and scouts better. Not all Ben's fault as I felt he would've benefited from having an older person/mentor on staff with him too. Conroy just doesn't show much to me. I didn't mind McHale when he was here.

You guys have to stop caring so much whether our recruits are born in Minnesota or not. Pitino has signed two 4-star recruits for this class. His recruiting isn't a problem

Would I like us to be better than 1-3 right now? Absolutely. But we also have so many new faces and building that chemistry can take some time. I also think our shooting has started a little cool. Once we start moving the ball a little quicker and hitting more shots, our record is going to improve and this will all go out the window.
Really? You don’t think recruiting is a problem? There’s a reason this team was picked to finish in the bottom of the big ten. That is because we have no talent. Our roster sucks. I don’t care either if recruits come from MN, but when we have to recruit Sam Freeman to fill a need in a class, recruiting IS A PROBLEM.

See how this class develops but after seeing them I am not near as down on them as I was two days ago, none of them are going to be polished B1G players this year but they have a future,.

Freeman has great physical talents that can't be taught, and Williams and Ihnen are considered the creme of this class. They all are going to improve, one can only hope significantly.

Greenlee reminds me of Robinson, pass first PG that gets the offense moving, Robinson wasn't an all world talent but his year starting at PG was the best B1G record the gophers have had in 20 years.

They are going to contribute as the season progresses.

See how this class develops but after seeing them I am not near as down on them as I was two days ago, none of them are going to be polished B1G players this year but they have a future,.

Freeman has great physical talents that can't be taught, and Williams and Ihnen are considered the creme of this class. They all are going to improve, one can only hope significantly.

Greenlee reminds me of Robinson, pass first PG that gets the offense moving, Robinson wasn't an all world talent but his year starting at PG was the best B1G record the gophers have had in 20 years.

They are going to contribute as the season progresses.
I like how you're thinking about this. I think the future looks solid. If Carr can learn to pass without dribbling the air out of the ball we can get perimeter players some good looks. Right now I am mostly disappointed with Carr's point guard skills. Great point guards set their teammates up to score.

Top 30 classes are nothing to sneeze at. There does seem to be an anti-U sentiment from the recent local kids and AAU teams, but Pitino has been getting outstate players like every other team. Would love to have local kids at the U, but frankly, don’t let the door hit them as they leave. And don’t expect any U fans to care or cheer for them.

It’s all about establishing pipelines. It doesn’t matter where they are but you need them otherwise you end up with classes like 2019 where we were lucky to save the class in the spring. Local pipelines just happen to be easier to establish. At the height of Miami football they emphasized landing the best players from the “State of Miami” which spread across three counties in South Florida. They established those pipelines in SoFla then cast a wider net to the rest of Florida and finally nationally. That’s how you build a program. I don’t think a ton of Muss as a coach but he’s doing the same at Arkansas in the 2020 class. The top 4 players from the state are likely all staying home (Moses Moody is at Montverde in Florida but is from Little Rock), Muss will have local HS and AAU coaches on side then he can dip down into Texas and other surrounding states when needed.

While again I don’t think you need classes entirely filled with locals, l do think it’s important not to take an inferior out of state kid over a local as that’s how bridges get burned. Youth sports is very political. Sacar Anim would have loved to be a Gopher, taking him and Jarvis really establishes a strong relationship with a local powerhouse early and shows the rest of the state that recruiting Minnesota is a priority...Pitino took Ahmad Gilbert and never offered Anim. Leading up to the 2017 class, the staff had put a lot of work into recruiting the East Coast (New York and New Jersey in particular) but hadn’t had much success so in trying to break through in the Northeast, they prioritize a high profile tri-state prospect in Isaiah Washington, slowplaying Davison (who’s family had season tickets to Gophers basketball btw) and while I understand the McKinley Wright situation, he was by no means their #1 target. It ends up being too late on Davison, Gophers take a commitment from Washington and D1MN’s Wright (who was well liked and respected in local basketball circles and by future prospects) commits to Dayton before flipping to Colorado.

no top 100 kid is ever a lay up for any program.

While there’s definitely work to be done on all top 100 prospects, I think Terry and Garcia were very gettable and previous mistakes came back to bite the staff. I think three Islanders in five years really leads to strong backing from coaching staff at Delasalle in Terry’s recruitment...Pitino also slowplayed Terry which didn’t help. Stanford had a relationship with Delasalle due to Reid Travis. I can’t fault Pitino too much for prioritizing Washington at the time but an argument can be made that playing the long game with Wright or Davison or both gives you stability and continues a trend in state while also strengthening your relationship with D1MN who were starting to surge again with the likes of Terry, Nnaji, Hurt, Carlson and Garcia on the way.

Hindsight is 20/20 but a local/regional foundation in recruiting is necessary. Bo Ryan spent his whole career recruiting regional and so does Izzo. Virginia and Villanova started regional and now recruit national. Gotta start local as they’re doing now in Year 7. Too little too late.

Last edited:

It’s all about establishing pipelines. It doesn’t matter where they are but you need them otherwise you end up with classes like 2019 where we were lucky to save the class in the spring. Local pipelines just happen to be easier to establish. At the height of Miami football they emphasized landing the best players from the “State of Miami” which spread across three counties in South Florida. They established those pipelines in SoFla then cast a wider net to the rest of Florida and finally nationally. That’s how you build a program. I don’t think a ton of Muss as a coach but he’s doing the same at Arkansas in the 2020 class. The top 4 players from the state are likely all staying home (Moses Moody is at Montverde in Florida but is from Little Rock), Muss will have local HS and AAU coaches on side then he can dip down into Texas and other surrounding states when needed.

While again I don’t think you need classes entirely filled with locals, l do think it’s important not to take an inferior out of state kid over a local as that’s how bridges get burned. Youth sports is very political. Sacar Anim would have loved to be a Gopher, taking him and Jarvis really establishes a strong relationship with a local powerhouse early and shows the rest of the state that recruiting Minnesota is a priority...Pitino took Ahmad Gilbert and never offered Anim. Leading up to the 2017 class, the staff had put a lot of work into recruiting the East Coast (New York and New Jersey in particular) but hadn’t had much success so in trying to break through in the Northeast, they prioritize a high profile tri-state prospect in Isaiah Washington, slowplaying Davison (who’s family had season tickets to Gophers basketball btw) and while I understand the McKinley Wright situation, he was by no means their #1 target. It ends up being too late on Davison, Gophers take a commitment from Washington and D1MN’s Wright (who was well liked and respected in local basketball circles and by future prospects) commits to Dayton before flipping to Colorado.

While there’s definitely work to be done on all top 100 prospects, I think Terry and Garcia were very gettable and previous mistakes came back to bite the staff. I think three Islanders in five years really leads to strong backing from coaching staff at Delasalle in Terry’s recruitment...Pitino also slowplayed Terry which didn’t help. Stanford had a relationship with Delasalle due to Reid Travis. I can’t fault Pitino too much for prioritizing Washington at the time but an argument can be made that playing the long game with Wright or Davison or both gives you stability and continues a trend in state while also strengthening your relationship with D1MN who were starting to surge again with the likes of Terry, Nnaji, Hurt, Carlson and Garcia on the way.

Hindsight is 20/20 but a local/regional foundation in recruiting is necessary. Bo Ryan spent his whole career recruiting regional and so does Izzo. Virginia and Villanova started regional and now recruit national. Gotta start local as they’re doing now in Year 7. Too little too late.

I agree with your takes on Sacar because he is a willing defender. I also agree on Wright because I watched him play a ton and loved him as a player. Liked him more than Davison. Wright had some pretty heavy academic issues however which should’ve made Davison the priority imo. Washington was highly rated and Kimani pushed for him and Gilbert. I standby my assessment that Kimani (good guy) was the worst as far as assessing players. All in all Pitino is the head guy and that falls on him. I also will stand by the fact that D1 is anti Pitino and were that way prior to Wright. I don’t think taking him would’ve made that relationship better. Wright also still truly had the opportunity to commit here even with IW and Harris committed. pitino has fixed this by guys he signs now. Had he recruited this way from the start I think Sacar and Davison were Gophers. Wright still ends up elsewhere though.
Maybe things would be different but I highly doubt that Terry, Nnaji, or Hurt would ever be Gophers. They all had different priorities. Garcia fits in this category too.

What is the final straw in the coach's MN tenure?

Oh, this isn't Jeopardy.
Not having a home game in the NIT this year. I think it should be a NCAA tourney appearance and top 6 in conference (Things I still believe to be attainable)

I think this far in the program you should have consistency. I mean you can play with 10 and be more than capable, heck maybe even less. That's only 2-3 recruiting cycles (not to get 10 but getting enough solid players to have some depth). Not asking to contend but the wild ups and downs should be over. Granted some of these circumstances were not all due to Coach with some of the injuries and the heart issue, but too much attrition one way or the other. I would expect to be making the tourney every year and finishing top half of the BiG is where we should be.

Great post. However, Bennett went national and international day one one at WSU and won there. If you can win there you can win anywhere. Same approach at UVA. He is better than anyone at seeing what a player is, could be and then getting them there. He would never look at some hack internet site to rank a player. 1st is identifying who fits your entire culture on and off the court. Skills, roles, desire, then can you get them. Then when you get them what can you make of them as a team. Being a great teacher is a rare gift. Most of them know the same things but few know how to get players to own that information and execute it. When is the last time this staff got a player from a bordering state that could really play ? You can not count on local players. They live in a world that televises a ton of teams, better teams from all over. They travel all over and meet people from all over. They understand brand. They all talk to each other and know who the best coaches are.

Top Bottom