The 20 team B1G schedule

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
We need a west coast-ish team, thinking Stanford. FSU or Clemson seems apropos in the East.

This requires a 10 game conference schedule.

Biggest issue is NW-Ill or Pur-Ind. One pair has to be split without a protected rivalry. I choose NW-Ill. Ind-Pur seems far more important.

I’ll leave the Notre Dame thing alone for now.

Pods or Divisions.

OSU
MCH
MSU
IND
PUR

PSU
MD
RUT
FSU
ILL

MIN
IOW
WIS
NEB
NW

ULCA
USC
WSH
ORE
STAN

Each season, you play your P/D for 4 games.

Then each team plays 2 games versus each other pod. This becomes a home and away for two seasons. The rotation creates a 4 games versus every other non-pod team (2 home 2 away) every 10 years. I think that’s acceptable.

For example, the Gophers non-pod schedules could be:

Year 1/2
PSU
MD
UCLA
STAN
OSU
PUR

3/4
RUT
FSU
USC
WSH
MCH
MSU

5/6
ILL
PSU
ORE
UCLA
IND
OSU

7/8
RUT
MD
STAN
USC
PUR
IND

9/10
ILL
FSU
WSH
ORE
MCH
MSU

Or something of the sort. It can be done.

How the divisions/pods work out and how they determine the league champ to follow.

Last edited:

Maybe they're waiting on a Texas team from SEC to flip.

I'm only half joking.

Stanford is offering to come to a conference for free and the B1G still hasn't taken them. The experts here are befuddled!! How could this happen!?!?!?!

Stanford is offering to come to a conference for free and the B1G still hasn't taken them. The experts here are befuddled!! How could this happen!?!?!?!
It’s amazing how fast what is important to the B1G has changed. Nine years ago, a school in New Jersey joined the B1G to secure the New York television market. Now Stanford, which is in the 6th largest market with far superior academics and overall athletics, is turned down by the B1G even when they’re asking for no money for their non-football teams.

Is it because the 6th largest media market doesn’t get excited about football? Or maybe the B1G doesn’t feel right about leaving Cal in a 3 team conference? Or could it be the B1G has dreams about extending into the south?

There is plenty of ideas about where, when and if the B1G will expand again. It’s just interesting that Stanford has dropped from a near no-brainer to them unsuccessfully begging to be added.

It’s amazing how fast what is important to the B1G has changed. Nine years ago, a school in New Jersey joined the B1G to secure the New York television market. Now Stanford, which is in the 6th largest market with far superior academics and overall athletics, is turned down by the B1G even when they’re asking for no money for their non-football teams.

Is it because the 6th largest media market doesn’t get excited about football? Or maybe the B1G doesn’t feel right about leaving Cal in a 3 team conference? Or could it be the B1G has dreams about extending into the south?

There is plenty of ideas about where, when and if the B1G will expand again. It’s just interesting that Stanford has dropped from a near no-brainer to them unsuccessfully begging to be added.
Notre Dame and Stanford, please.

I want nothing to do with Florida State or Clemson in the Big Ten

I don't want the Big Ten to be a southern league and I don't like the 100% focus on football TV ratings driving a huge organization that does a lot more than put football games on TV.

I can put other teams in this if it helps y’all sleep. I just wanted to show how a 20 team schedule would work. I can change FSU to any team you would like.

So long as the regular season is 12 games long, then 18 teams with a 10 game conf schedule is the sweet spot.

Benefits:
- even 5/5 home/away every year
- still allows every team to schedule 7 home games every year that they desire to
- straightforward extension of the “Flex” scheduling that was already announced: 3 “locked-in” opponents and then you cycle through the remaining 14 team home/home in 4 years.

Can extend that to 20 teams with 11 conf games or 22 teams with 12 conf games, but then you lose the 7 home games for whatever that’s worth (to some schools, quite a lot).

Would need to expand the regular season then.

Why not NE? They have the fewest TV screens in the BIG.

Top Bottom