The 12th Man

AhliBobwa

Reaction score
I don't know if I've ever been more proud of being a Gopher fan than I was tonight. The Gophers played inspired football all night. The referees called phantom penalties against the Gophers for almost three quarters. But then the officials pushed Gopher Nation too far. They called two absurd personal fouls on consecutive plays (the worst of which was a laughable roughing the passer penalty). Aided by 30 yards of free real estate Sparty made it all the way down to the 2.
:clap:
But then a couple things happened. The crowd became enraged, the decibel level in the stadium skyrocketed. The entire crowd proceeded to boo for nearly 10 minutes. We booed for the last 3 minutes of the 3rd quarter, and continued for the entire quarter break. The officials were forced to face the angry Gopher faithful, and it affected their performance. The Gophers did their part and held Sparty to 3 in an impressive goal line stand.
The 4th quarter was called fairly and I believe the 12th man had a large hand in that. Congratulations to Tim Brewster's squad for coming up with a huge win against a tough Spartan team.

The goal line stand was HUGE! And impressive, important, and kudos to the D.

On BTN, the crowd really seemed amped throughout...I never got that sense watching the Gs in the Dome.

Home field really was a big plus in this W...kudos to the 12th man!

Box score lists 50,805 but what was the real number of people at the game?

Electric

On BTN, the crowd really seemed amped throughout...I never got that sense watching the Gs in the Dome.

Home field really was a big plus in this W...kudos to the 12th man!

I have not seen that level of fan engagement in a VERY LONG time. The Gopher Fans are getting the reputation of being Rabid. This game should put any doubt to rest of the truth to that statement.

Box score lists 50,805 but what was the real number of people at the game?

There certainly were a fair number of open seats in the building which is to be expected given that many fans probably have kids to take trick or treating. If the student section was condensed there was probably 3.5 - 4 full sections that would have been BARREN. Now that stuff was completely pathetic given that those tickets are "sold out" according to the athletics program.

In other news, let's get pumped that we won since the 5-star basketball recruit Cory Joseph was there. I can't think of a better way to sell the school than bringing him to that game! :clap:

I was in the student section and there was still plenty of space left to cram in, especially after halftime. I say take each section on the side in the upper deck and convert them into regular tickets. If our students can't fill it up, sell the tickets at a normal price to fans who will.

Booing was fun...we were incredulous at the Stoudermire taunting, and then the two phantom late hits in the drive in the 2nd half.

I agree. The officiating was getting ridiculous, and the crowd chanting of "refs suck!!!" definitely got them to call a straight up game in the 4th quarter. Heaven forbid we would actually get some home cooking in our own house.

It was hilarious whenever we tackled a msu player, about 75% of the crowd threw up there arms like a flag. Hahaha

and

it was old guys (and gals) like me that were standing and yelling!

During the pauses on the goal line stand, everyone was chanting these refs suck.

IT WAS A LOT OF FUN!

Too bad we didn't have a full student section for a full game. It is tough to be critical of the students there because they were great. But the other 4,000 who weren't there or left early, you are not true Gopher fans.

In all the years in the dome I don't ever remember the crowd ever chanting together better than "these refs suck" from last night. Booing for basically ten minutes straight because of the refs was fun too and had to have an effect on msu. What great crowd partcipation!

Top Bottom