Thats another Golden Gopher FIRST DOWN!

icepirate13

"11 Nagurskis would be murder
Reaction score
I surely hope on real game days the PA does not say the "FIRST DOWN" part. It kind of took away the crowds part in the saying, kind of disappointed so hopefully he wont say it on sept 12th.

Did this bother any one else?

I have been hoping that slogan would be left at the dome.

Yeah, let's scrap one of the few things the crowd actually participates in...:confused:

I have never liked it

Cant put my finger on it---maybe it sounds kind of amateurish.

I still don't understand why we celebrate getting a 1st down.

Yeah, let's scrap one of the few things the crowd actually participates in...:confused:

I've overheard Gopher fans being mocked by more than one visiting fan for it. It's not like we invented this and its an integral part of GOpher history or something ...

Because it's one of the few things most people actually participate in and it probably annoys the opposing team/defense :)

I like it.

I hope today's PA annoucer was not the real one

If so we, wow, my goodness. First we have Davel Lee as the main
play by play man on WCCO radio broadcast with his scratchy voice and sketchy calls just say
PEW. Now we have a squirely sounding PA announcer with a pre-pubescent voice. If today's guy is the guy turn him off.
Can we boot him and get the guy from Williams arean, there is not comparison. Really if he is the best they can do for the PA, needless to say people are not going to be impressed. That guy is just not going to work.

Heh...I even remember that from over 15 years ago.

I've overheard Gopher fans being mocked by more than one visiting fan for it. It's not like we invented this and its an integral part of GOpher history or something ...

Who gives two craps what visiting fans think??

If so we, wow, my goodness. First we have Davel Lee as the main
play by play man on WCCO radio broadcast with his scratchy voice and sketchy calls just say
PEW. Now we have a squirely sounding PA announcer with a pre-pubescent voice. If today's guy is the guy turn him off.
Can we boot him and get the guy from Williams arean, there is not comparison. Really if he is the best they can do for the PA, needless to say people are not going to be impressed. That guy is just not going to work.

This is truth. The PA guy today was lacking. I hope the main PA guy has more experience.

I hope he was just covering for the main one. He was quite annoying. Also hopefully they have more to talk about in TV timeouts instead of the 4 things he kept recycling.

in all seriousness, they NEED TO GET RID OF THIS. it's beyond embarrassing.

You guys are right. It is embarrassing that we have a cheer that people actually participate in (especially the students), is realtively loud, and doesn't involve spelling something. Let's go back to "Marooooon...Goooooold", or how about "MIN-NE-SO-TA!" Those are awesome cheers that obviously don't suck. How about "I-O-WA!" Great cheer, right? I have a secret for you guys, the majority of cheers are stupid.

Would opposing fans make fun of us if we sat silently all game and read books? My god, sometimes I hate Minnesota fans. Is it the Scandanavian genetics that make people shake their heads when people stand up and cheer?

And Viking suckhole - your opinion really doesn't count for sh!t in my mind. Not only have the Queens attempted to steal that cheer, but the laser light show, smoke, pumped in crowd noise, and blaring of Hells Bells and jock-jams that permeates NFL games and gets the fans all lathered up is ridiculous. Please, go watch them and cheer for the purple dinosaur riding the snowmobile. That's obviously better than a marching band and student section cheer. Nobody cares about the Vikings here.

I do agree that the PA guys sucked and needs to go, but the one cheer that people get into is "First Down"...what's wrong with that.

Agree..Either improve the 'Golden Gopher First Down' chant or drop it.

How about turning over this upgrade challenge/contest to the student body...

I do agree that the PA guys sucked and needs to go, but the one cheer that people get into is "First Down"...what's wrong with that.

With you on this one, may be dopey but people do it and I kind of missed it not being "done right" yesterday.

If you haven't noticed, the ones who want the first down chant gone A) don't have very many posts and B) the majority of their posts have been complaining about the chant. I find it much better than the "First down Wisconsin!" said by the guy who a full octave above where a man ought to be speaking at.

Speaking of a full octave too high, that PA guy has got to go. I certainly hope that Jamie is back on the horn come Sept. 12.

Who gives two craps what visiting fans think??

All I'm saying is I don't like the chant and I'm obviously not alone. You do - fine. I think its dumb (although I can be seen doing it from time to time when the mood and the, sigh, Metrodome beer catches me) and my point with visiting fans was that I tend to nod in agreement when I've heard their comments.
If they keep it, which obviously they are, I'm not going to drop my season tickets. Go Gophers.

You'll take the first down cheer out of my cold, dead hands. Why should we rip away all of our traditions. Who cares if opposing fans don't like our cheers. They aren't supposed to like our cheers! If it irritates them, that is GOOD.

Besides, the reason why it works at Gopher games is because you have 10,000 students howling it.

It REALLY doesn't work at Vikings games because quite frankly, most of the people there don't care about what happens on the field, much less want to yell along for a first down.

If you haven't noticed, the ones who want the first down chant gone A) don't have very many posts and B) the majority of their posts have been complaining about the chant. I find it much better than the "First down Wisconsin!" said by the guy who a full octave above where a man ought to be speaking at.

Speaking of a full octave too high, that PA guy has got to go. I certainly hope that Jamie is back on the horn come Sept. 12.

wasn't aware there's a minimum post count required to have an opinion. :rolleyes:

the fact is the first down chant is NOT a gopher tradition. high school teams were doing it 10 years before the gophs.

i'm all for chants, but come up with a decent one ffs. the first down chant is bush league.

wasn't aware there's a minimum post count required to have an opinion. :rolleyes:

the fact is the first down chant is NOT a gopher tradition. high school teams were doing it 10 years before the gophs.

i'm all for chants, but come up with a decent one ffs. the first down chant is bush league.

You don't like the existing chant. Therefore the onus is on you to come up with something better. Lets hear it, or stop complaining...

This thread reminds me of one of the only possible things I could "long for the Metrodome". The first down announcement yesterday was really crappy and a shadow of itself from the Metrodome. I agree with the original post in this thread. Overall, I like the way first downs are communicated (because it is something that everyone participates in) but NOT in the form it was presented yesterday.

You don't like the existing chant. Therefore the honus is on you to come up with something better. Lets hear it, or stop complaining...

really??? i'm responsible for the gopher announcers? :eek: LOL

don't be such a homer.

This is the stupidest argument re: cheers. Who started the "Lets go _____" cheer? Should we still do it if we weren't the first? What about the 200 other college teams who do it? Let's all sit down and figure out who started the cheer and only they are allowed to keep doing it.

What if a high school team started it? Did the Badgers start "Go Big Red"? Seeing as how that was a Nebraska cheer long before Barry (and the birth of Badger football), they should scrap it, right?

If the cheer works and people (most importantly the students and band) get into it, then it's great. Idiots like you can keep sitting on your hands with your mouth shut, and disapproving if you'd like. But more importantly, keep bitching and telling yourself it helps.

Top Bottom