Thanks Joel for letting Husker's, Badger's and Hawkeye fans in for a...

Reaction score
paltry 25.00 for New Mexico State or Miami/Ohio ticket purchase. You just don't get it do you Joel. The new Prez should strap your ass to a Canadian Pacific iron ore car for a oneway trip to Duluth.

paltry 25.00 for New Mexico State or Miami/Ohio ticket purchase. You just don't get it do you Joel. The new Prez should strap your ass to a Canadian Pacific iron ore car for a oneway trip to Duluth.

What do you suggest that he should do?

Complaining without giving a solution is stupid.

I hate opposing fans too. Should he have left the stadium with empty seats? Because that's the only other solution once season ticket sales are done and the season ticket holders aren't buying more seats. Once you open the sales to the general public opposing fans who are dedicated will buy them. Sheesh.

How many are we talking about? I want a confirmed number or a well thought-out educated guess.

I to am wondering just how many single game tickets were made available for the general public. Can anyone shed some light on this subject which closely quantifies the magnitude of this perceived problem.
Thanks.

Here are a few suggestions for what Joel Should have done, and then do now.

Then:
1. When firing Mason, have a clue as to what you wanted to do after that.
2. When hiring his replacement, look for someone who could recruit AND coach. There are no sure things, but he could have avoided taking the program backwards light years in under three years by NOT taking a chance on a guy who had no real experience whatsoever beyond being a somewhat succesful recruiting coordinator for a guy who knew how to recruit pretty well and can function as a head coach.

Now:
3. Accept responsibility for the current state of the program.
4. Resign.

If he'd had the slightest clue what he was doing on step one and two, we wouldn't have burned the momentum the new stadium provided in year two of the stadium. From a marketing perspective, sell Nebraska and Iowa in a package only. Must by Nebraska and Iowa and both the Miami and NDSU games. We would have generated revenue (the fan bases in NE and IA would have bought the tickets, and increased the likelihood of reduced opposing fans in the stands.

That protects revenue, but doesn't necessarily put butts in seats.

Want to put butts in seats? Give two extra tickets to those games to the highest M Club or seat license donors to keep opposing fans out, use the existing fan base to evangelize the program and get some new people into the stadium.

Those are just off the top of my head. Give me an hour and I'll give you a few more ideas that would be better than mailing in a half assed solution to the mess he created.

I agree, fire JMat. I hope Kill is super successful, but Maturi should have been tossed out long ago.

Here are a few suggestions for what Joel Should have done, and then do now.

Then:
1. When firing Mason, have a clue as to what you wanted to do after that.
2. When hiring his replacement, look for someone who could recruit AND coach. There are no sure things, but he could have avoided taking the program backwards light years in under three years by NOT taking a chance on a guy who had no real experience whatsoever beyond being a somewhat succesful recruiting coordinator for a guy who knew how to recruit pretty well and can function as a head coach.

Now:
3. Accept responsibility for the current state of the program.
4. Resign.

If he'd had the slightest clue what he was doing on step one and two, we wouldn't have burned the momentum the new stadium provided in year two of the stadium. From a marketing perspective, sell Nebraska and Iowa in a package only. Must by Nebraska and Iowa and both the Miami and NDSU games. We would have generated revenue (the fan bases in NE and IA would have bought the tickets, and increased the likelihood of reduced opposing fans in the stands.

That protects revenue, but doesn't necessarily put butts in seats.

Want to put butts in seats? Give two extra tickets to those games to the highest M Club or seat license donors to keep opposing fans out, use the existing fan base to evangelize the program and get some new people into the stadium.

Those are just off the top of my head. Give me an hour and I'll give you a few more ideas that would be better than mailing in a half assed solution to the mess he created.

From a marketing perspective, sell Nebraska and Iowa in a package only. Must by Nebraska and Iowa and both the Miami and NDSU games. We would have generated revenue (the fan bases in NE and IA would have bought the tickets, and increased the likelihood of reduced opposing fans in the stands.
How would this keep the opposing fans out? An Iowa fan would simply make a ton of money selling the Nebraska ticket on StubHub (or vice versa, though probably not for as much money).

Every d*ckhead has all the answers, but I wonder how many of them are Athletic Directors at major Division I universities.

well to dopodoll...since you like to call people d*ckhead...I'm nominating you as...

the first annual d*ckhead name caller of the year.

Ditch badger joel macturi and name his chief supporter, dopodoll, the d*ckhead name caller of the year!!!!! Nobody has called more people d*ckhead than that dopodoll character has.

bjm needs to become the focus of every fan who is sick and tired of the way he has run the revenue sports into the ground at Minnesota. The dufus can't even sell out the new stadium in it's third season.

It is a boring time of the year, waiting for September 3rd to roll around. So, use the time wisely. Turn up the heat on badger joel macturi. He has been here entirely too long. His record with the revenue sports has steadly ramped down hill. Just look at the way things with the revenue sports played out in the 2010-2011 school year. Throw him under the bus NOW!

dopodoll for d*ckhead name caller of the year in 2011.

As you do unto others dopodoll, so shall you be done unto.

; 0 )

Go ahead and find me one post where I state or infer that I'm a Joel Maturi supporter. I'll be waiting.

Clearly the NDSU and Nebraska tickets were underpriced. It will be interesting to see when they release the unsold seatbacks as single game tickets. They're hanging onto them for now, with the pipe dream of selling a few more season tickets.

Clearly the NDSU and Nebraska tickets were underpriced.
This I can agree with. Once there were single game tickets to be had it was a given that opposing fans were going to try and snag them. They could have charged more if they wanted.

From a marketing perspective, sell Nebraska and Iowa in a package only. Must by Nebraska and Iowa and both the Miami and NDSU games. We would have generated revenue (the fan bases in NE and IA would have bought the tickets, and increased the likelihood of reduced opposing fans in the stands.

They tried this, it is called a season ticket. You seem to believe that there is some creative way to convince NE/IA/WI fans to buy seats and then give them to Gopher fans. This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If Gopher fans wanted them they would have bought them.

next year, there will be several sections in the upper bowl with just a smattering of people sitting in them. We won't have the husker, badger, bison, and hawkeye business in 2012.

Easy One

Go ahead and find me one post where I state or infer that I'm a Joel Maturi supporter. I'll be waiting.

That is easy to do! Ever comment that you have made that wren doesn't like is construed by him as anti this or apologist that. I once said something positive about the Gopher football team that had nothing to do with Brewster and I was immediately labeled a "Brewster apologist”. The man has no ability or desire to comprehend what other people say. He is only interested in whether a comment supports his agenda in his eyes.

At the end of the day, if You are a fan that wants to be in the stadium to see the game, You will get tickets thru stub hub, ebay, ect. and be there. I went to the last 4 Badger rose bowls and 70% (out of 100,000 seats) at least were Badger fans. The ticket office prices the games for maximum revenue. If the demand from Gopher fans were there then very few travel fans would be there. Hell, many Badger students simply turn the tickets for profit. If I want to see the Packers on 10/23 treat the Vikings like a red headed step child, again, I will be there. How do all those Packers fans end up at viking home games anyways? Supply and demand. Money and passion talks, BS sells out and walks.

They tried this, it is called a season ticket. You seem to believe that there is some creative way to convince NE/IA/WI fans to buy seats and then give them to Gopher fans. This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If Gopher fans wanted them they would have bought them.

The point being, that requiring opposing fans to buy multiple tickets to get the one they want makes it more difficult for opposing fans.

Someone pointed out that NE or IA or NDSU fans can simply resell the other games on Stub Hub or somewhere else. Don't disagree with that and if a NE fans tries to cover the cost of all of the games for the IA game, and charges 2 or 3x for the ticket via stub hub, it makes it harder for IA fans to get in (perhaps not the overly rich alumni, but some of the bumble bees can't afford a $500+ cost to get the family into the game). Cost is too high, can't get tickets for their group that are near their friends, etc. Doesn't guarantee the fans won't get in, but does make it harder.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend we go this route, but we could and it would make things harder, again, not impossible, but harder. The real advantage for this approach would be that the team is doing better than expected and the Stub Hub environment would allow the band wagon jumping that is the hallmark of a "true" Minnesotan to potentially have access to the game vs. having the tickets locked up by a bunch of corn chickens.

Nothing is simple, but I'm also not about to post a 45 page marketing briefing here with rationale and detail on how to execute the tactics. Point is the solutions are easier than the U has made them in the past (this is certainly not exclusive to Joel's reign, but he's brought zero thinking to the marketing of the program). Marketing the programs is part of the Athletic Department's job, even the half assed attempts they put together smack of a lack of understanding of the target audience and the communication necessary to be successful. And no, I don't work for the government so throwing more money at the problem isn't how to solve this. Creativity and brains are how this will be solved.

Why are there apostrophes in "Husker's" and "Badger's"?

I would open sales up a day before said game and take our chances that the Gophers are playing well. If not, make the yup,yups from Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska travel on short notice. They get whatever tickets are left at the gate. On the day before, you must produce a valid Minnesota Drivers Licience to purchase a ticket. For the students, their ID card. Remember, the home team must make 3,000 tickets available for the visitor. Games against the likes of Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin are going to use up the 3,000. Make it tough for them to get a ticket. I would love to see the the ticket office at TCF with 3-deep lines on game day a half an hour before kickoff. I'd be laughing my ass off watching Becky fans trying to get to their seats before second quarter. Joel, make it tough!! 25.00 dollars is a f---ing joke

I would open sales up a day before said game and take our chances that the Gophers are playing well. If not, make the yup,yups from Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska travel on short notice. They get whatever tickets are left at the gate. On the day before, you must produce a valid Minnesota Drivers Licience to purchase a ticket. For the students, their ID card. Remember, the home team must make 3,000 tickets available for the visitor. Games against the likes of Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin are going to use up the 3,000. Make it tough for them to get a ticket. I would love to see the the ticket office at TCF with 3-deep lines on game day a half an hour before kickoff. I'd be laughing my ass off watching Becky fans trying to get to their seats before second quarter. Joel, make it tough!! 25.00 dollars is a f---ing joke

This outta make the out of state Gopher fans, as well as the in-state non 16 year olds very happy.

Go Gophers!!

Remember, the home team must make 3,000 tickets available for the visitor. Games against the likes of Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin are going to use up the 3,000. Make it tough for them to get a ticket. I would love to see the the ticket office at TCF with 3-deep lines on game day a half an hour before kickoff. I'd be laughing my ass off watching Becky fans trying to get to their seats before second quarter. Joel, make it tough!! 25.00 dollars is a f---ing joke

Those tix are sold through the other teams ticket office....That's why we can travel for games as well.

Charging $95 for Iowa and Wisconsin tickets seems about right. The Nebraska and NDSU tickets were not correctly priced based on demand.

Charging $95 for Iowa and Wisconsin tickets seems about right. The Nebraska and NDSU tickets were not correctly priced based on demand.

If you price the tickets to high however you will end up pricing out any potential new gopher fans long before you will price out a die-hard Nebraska fan wanting to follow their team. Teams have tried to keep out Nebraska fans for years with different strategies and have failed. The only way to keep them out is to win so that you sell more season tickets and create such a strong fan following that they won't sell to Nebraska fans.

Truth of the matter is there is not enough demand for Gopher FB tickets. The packages work to generate revenue that is needed by selling two games worth of tickets versus one. I would have either just charged more for the combo tickets or made the single game IA and NE games more expensive (premium pricing). Pigeons and Huskers will be there......make money off of them.

If you price the tickets to high however you will end up pricing out any potential new gopher fans long before you will price out a die-hard Nebraska fan wanting to follow their team. Teams have tried to keep out Nebraska fans for years with different strategies and have failed. The only way to keep them out is to win so that you sell more season tickets and create such a strong fan following that they won't sell to Nebraska fans.

Nobody said anything about trying to keep Husker fans out. I know as well as anyone that that won't happen. I just want to maximize the revenue from them. And I certainly wouldn't change the pricing on season tickets.

So your plan is to treat opposing fans like 2nd-class citizens?

Top Bottom