Thanks for the memories Glen

GoldMedalCounty

Reaction score
Special shout out to Mase. I've really enjoyed watching MN natives play in big games today because A) you passed on them or B) they hailed from schools you just didn't develop a relationship with in time to make a difference. David Gilreath, Isaac Anderson, Blake Sorenson, Karl Klug, and Alexander Robinson to name a few. It kind of reminds me of past years watching Larry Fitzgerald, James Laurinatis, Ryan Harris, John Carlson, Trevor Laws, Lydon Murtha, Nathan Swift and many others.

2 things.

Why would Mason recruit them if they weren't 3rd tear Ohio recruits.

why would anyone them wanted to go here when all the high school coaches around here HATED Mason.

I don't know. Maybe we should ask Michael Floyd why the U is a place cool enough to party at, but not cool enough to play football at.

Special shout out to Mase. I've really enjoyed watching MN natives play in big games today because A) you passed on them or B) they hailed from schools you just didn't develop a relationship with in time to make a difference. David Gilreath, Isaac Anderson, Blake Sorenson, Karl Klug, and Alexander Robinson to name a few. It kind of reminds me of past years watching Larry Fitzgerald, James Laurinatis, Ryan Harris, John Carlson, Trevor Laws, Lydon Murtha, Nathan Swift and many others.

I've thought the the same thing today. There's a pretty good roster of Minnesota kids playing well for other teams today.

This goes for Brewster as well...

I disagree. Say what you will about Brewster's coaching, but I think he did a good job repairing relationships with the HS coaches in MN. He had a better batting average with the top 5 kids too. We did miss on a few kids and will continue to under any coach. We aren't going to win them all. Adrian Peterson went to OU over Texas.

I disagree. Say what you will about Brewster's coaching, but I think he did a good job repairing relationships with the HS coaches in MN. He had a better batting average with the top 5 kids too. We did miss on a few kids and will continue to under any coach. We aren't going to win them all. Adrian Peterson went to OU over Texas.

Yeah and a lot of these guys were already on their way out of town when Brewster got hired. Wow, Gilreath and Anderson each had huge catches on that td drive. At least John Clay destroyed Klug.

Brewster had 3 years to recruit MN kids but who really ended up being on the level of any of those players?

I think Mason's recruiting was a bit underrated by a lot of people on here and Brewster's might be a little inflated. Mason put more guys in the NFL (albeit he had 10 years to do this and Brewster 4!) and had some very good players while he was here. One name to throw out there is Greg Jones from Michigan St. Glen Mason recruited him and he was committed here until after he was fired. I think Jones was probably better than anyone Brewster recruited in 4 years and probably would have been the best defensive player Mason recruited talent-wise.

As far as Minnesota kids go, yeah I would have liked to see Mason put more of an emphasis on them - they are your lifeblood and you can get quite a few good kids who develop from walk ons to your starting line-up. To be fair though, Mason TRIED to recruit some of those kids and just couldn't land them, too and Brewster missed out on some of the Minnesota kids he was after, too.

Let's just hope the next coach combines the good from Mason with the good from Brewster because if you can do that, you will have a very good coach!

We need a system first and then players to follow. What kind of player would Adam Webber have become if he played in the same offense for four years. It is always easy to look at kids who went some where else and ask what if? We are not very good because of constant change.

Brewster had 3 years to recruit MN kids but who really ended up being on the level of any of those players?

I think the jury is still out for most. It's way too early to know with Hageman, Edwards, Gjere, Alipate, Garin, etc. Mr. Olson has a very good chance to be equal or better than Murtha and Harris.

We need a system first and then players to follow. What kind of player would Adam Webber have become if he played in the same offense for four years. It is always easy to look at kids who went some where else and ask what if? We are not very good because of constant change.

I would strongly agree with this. Weber actually had a very good career here, and he did it with an offense that changed each year, an extremely subpar rushing attack for the most part and a defense that wasn't very good, either. That is a lot of pressure to put on a kid, but in the end, Weber is going to hold a lot of Gopher records when he walks out of here in a few games.

Pretty low-classed of some people around here to be bashing Weber.

I think Mason's recruiting was a bit underrated by a lot of people on here and Brewster's might be a little inflated. Mason put more guys in the NFL (albeit he had 10 years to do this and Brewster 4!) and had some very good players while he was here. One name to throw out there is Greg Jones from Michigan St. Glen Mason recruited him and he was committed here until after he was fired. I think Jones was probably better than anyone Brewster recruited in 4 years and probably would have been the best defensive player Mason recruited talent-wise.

If you think for a second Jones would have developed into the same kind of player under Mason's defensive system you are gravely mistaken. There is a reason he never produced 1 NFL draft pick at the linebacker position while he was the coach. The only NFL draft pick he ever recruited was Triplett, who did not see the field until after he left.

No doubt in my mind Jones would have come here and been pretty good. He would not be anything close to what he currently is. Same goes for James L at Ohio State. If I am a linebacker who wants to play at a high level, I don't even consider committing to a team Mason coaches. Mason getting fired was the best thing that ever happened for Greg Jones' career.

What high school coach in his right mind couldnt see through brewster's b.s.? And his won/loss record spoke much louder and his b.s. did. 6-21 in Big Ten play. That all goes directly on brewster's head.

we MUST tell it like it happened.

If you think for a second Jones would have developed into the same kind of player under Mason's defensive system you are gravely mistaken. There is a reason he never produced 1 NFL draft pick at the linebacker position while he was the coach. The only NFL draft pick he ever recruited was Triplett, who did not see the field until after he left.

No doubt in my mind Jones would have come here and been pretty good. He would not be anything close to what he currently is. Same goes for James L at Ohio State. If I am a linebacker who wants to play at a high level, I don't even consider committing to a team Mason coaches. Mason getting fired was the best thing that ever happened for Greg Jones' career.

Well, I didn't say that he would have been as good of a player for Mase that he would have been at MSU -- you are probably right!! I guess the point I was making is that this was a high quality defensive player that could have really helped us, he was better than anyone Brewster recruited in his 4 years (which is PROBABLY true as I don't see anyone that will get drafted as high as Jones will,) and he would probably been the best defensive player Mason recruited and I think all of those things are true....

Top Bottom