Thanks for the laughs...

I also expect the Alamo to pick MSU but as I said in another thread, I'm not entirely convinced they will. I'd say there is about 20% chance they take Minnesota. MSU had an awful showing (fan wise) at the Cap One bowl last year. That was a big bowl for them and there was very little green in that crowd.

Also, the current state of the economies in both fan bases (unemployment rate in Lansing is almost double what it is in Minneapolis) might have some influence. A loyal fanbase does you no good if they can't afford to travel to the game.

edit: Actually I found metro area unemployment rates from September and MSP is at 7.3 while Lansing is 11.0 so it isn't really double but it is still quite a bit higher.

This is like Seantral assuring us that the Gophers are still in the mix.

The Alamo bowl exec's comments are ridiculous to the point of being insulting.

The possibility depends on whether (or how long) the Alamo Bowl execs hold a grudge. In 2003 when they selected MSU over us MSU had promised to sell 15,000 tickets. They ended up selling about 5000. The Alamo Bowl was not happy.

The Alamo Bowl did something they didn't do in 2003 or 2006: They sent the band a list of the required appearances by the marching band, a list of optional events and the hotel and practice facility contact information. In previous years they didn't bother. At the very least, they haven't crossed us off the list, yet.

I still expect a return to Tempe.

As someone who follows Sparty football, I don't care which bowl selects them, so long as it's the opposite of where Texas Tech goes. Texas Tech's offense vs. the MSU secondary is not a matchup I want to see. If the Gophers' dreadful offense can light up the Spartans for 42, I can only imagine what Leach's passing attack will do to the secondary. I'm hoping for an Insight matchup with Mizzou on New Year's Eve. Much better chance there for Sparty to end a disappointing season on a high note.

I also expect the Alamo to pick MSU but as I said in another thread, I'm not entirely convinced they will. I'd say there is about 20% chance they take Minnesota. MSU had an awful showing (fan wise) at the Cap One bowl last year. That was a big bowl for them and there was very little green in that crowd.

The possibility depends on whether (or how long) the Alamo Bowl execs hold a grudge. In 2003 when they selected MSU over us MSU had promised to sell 15,000 tickets. They ended up selling about 5000. The Alamo Bowl was not happy.

I will say this: Michigan State, besides historically being the nation's most overrated team (in comparison to preseason rank) outside of Notre Dame, also has one of the most overrated fan bases. Year after year, their fans fail to show up to desirable bowl locales, yet they keep getting picked ahead of more deserving teams (not saying we're one of those teams this year, despite the head-to-head win).

I'll be at whatever bowl game we end up in, and I'd love for it to be San Antonio, but again....not buying it.

Maybe it's wrong to feel this way, but I don't want the Alamo to pick us since it's on January 2nd this year, and I just know Brewster will spew non-stop about how 'excited' he is to have 'elevated' us to a January Bowl for the first time since 1961. Sure we all know it's a heaping load of BS, but he'll do it anyway.

My guess is they're playing coy with Minnesota to extract more commitments out of MSU in terms of guaranteed tickets, appearances, etc. Interesting point about unemployment in MI. We went on vacation in the Traverse City area this past summer. Seemed like every other driveway had a motorcycle/ATV/boat for sale.

Both this thread and the article neglect to mention the cornholing we got from these clowns in 1999 when we finished in front of (and beat) PSU, yet the Alamo bowl took them over us. No way do they take us. OTOH, maybe its a blessing to not face TT. Selxn, I'm not sure our secondary would fare much better than MSU's. Particularly with our lack of a pass rush.

"I will say this: Michigan State. ... outside of Notre Dame, also has one of the most overrated fan bases."

I can't speak for how well or how poorly MSU has traveled to bowl games. I won't argue with you on that point. But to say they have one of the most overrated fan bases is plain just not true. They've pretty much been getting full houses or close to it (70-75,000) for years on end, and it's not exactly like State has been knocking on the Rose Bowl door every year. Their fan base has remained very loyal and supportive, despite the fact they've underachieved and/or bombed (see Bobby Williams & The Cowboy) for an MSU administration that has given them all the resources they need to compete.

I can't speak for how well or how poorly MSU has traveled to bowl games. I won't argue with you on that point. But to say they have one of the most overrated fan bases is plain just not true. They've pretty much been getting full houses or close to it (70-75,000) for years on end, and it's not exactly like State has been knocking on the Rose Bowl door every year. Their fan base has remained very loyal and supportive, despite the fact they've underachieved and/or bombed (see Bobby Williams & The Cowboy) for an MSU administration that has given them all the resources they need to compete.

I was in EL in 06 for our beatdown of Sparty in The Cowboy's last home game...and I'd estimate there were 30k warm bodies in the stands.

Idk, I really think we have a chance at the alamo, michigan state hasnt been to tempe, we've been to tempe plenty, we also beat mich state and mich state screwed over the alamo a few years back with promises of how many fans they'd bring, our fans have absolutely no faith in anything

I can't speak for how well or how poorly MSU has traveled to bowl games. I won't argue with you on that point. But to say they have one of the most overrated fan bases is plain just not true.

Traveling to bowl games is all I'm referring to. They get way more credit than they deserve in that regard, and it's stung the Cap One, Champs and Alamo Bowls in the past. Of course, this is a case of those in glass houses....

Maybe it's wrong to feel this way, but I don't want the Alamo to pick us since it's on January 2nd this year, and I just know Brewster will spew non-stop about how 'excited' he is to have 'elevated' us to a January Bowl for the first time since 1961. Sure we all know it's a heaping load of BS, but he'll do it anyway.

Which will also be followed by the chorus of idiots on this board proclaiming that Brewster was able to lead the Gophers to a better bowl than Mason did.

Which will also be followed by the chorus of idiots on this board proclaiming that Brewster was able to lead the Gophers to a better bowl than Mason did.

Not better, but equal the best game. Doing it at 6-6 won't be the way I envisioned it happening. 5th place bowl game is the ceiling for this team unless it's the Rose Bowl.

So now you guys are going after Brewster based on the possibility of the Gophers getting picked over Michigan State and then Brewster bragging about 6-6 team playing in a January Bowl even though it is a third rate one.

Beautiful. Now we're creating our OWN trolls!:clap:

Sorry Charlie, I forgot your a professional !

Oh, don't think that the Big Ten itself wasn't angling for something along those lines by lining-up nearly every Bowl Game starting next season to be played in January!

MSU just suspended 8 football players today

Does this factor in at all?

I just hope we play the weakest defensive team possible, regardless of which bowl we go to.

"I was in EL in 06 for our beatdown of Sparty in The Cowboy's last home game...and I'd estimate there were 30k warm bodies in the stands."

The attendance was 64,807 for the Cowboy's last game. There may have been 30,000 bodies in the stands at the end of the game, but certainly not at the beginning. Not a sellout, but nevertheless over 64,000 for a team/program at that point going nowhere.

That said, after the developments of the last couple days in Spartyville, it's pretty safe to say the Gophers are going to San Antonio. There's no way the Alamo Bowl will take MSU now.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2006-2007/msu-minn.html#GAME.NEW

Top Bottom