Thanks again Mase...

How's that Mason's fault.

That's on Maturi.

How's that Mason's fault.

That's on Maturi.

Agreed. He committed to MSU after Mason got fired. Maturi waiting so long to fire Mason + hiring Brew is what lost us Jones. Unless you're blaming the whole chain of events on Mason for blowing huge leads and not caring about defense or recruiting because all of those brought about his firing. Then yea, I suppose it would be Mason's "fault".

Forget about an LB of Jones' caliber.... I would have been happy this year if the Gophers had just had an LB who had ever started a game before.

Who else did we lose because we fired Mase?

Agreed. He committed to MSU after Mason got fired. Maturi waiting so long to fire Mason + hiring Brew is what lost us Jones. Unless you're blaming the whole chain of events on Mason for blowing huge leads and not caring about defense or recruiting because all of those brought about his firing. Then yea, I suppose it would be Mason's "fault".

What makes you think he would have signed here if Mason was fired earlier? He changed his commitment because Mason wasn't our head coach anymore.

Who else did we lose because we fired Mase?

Not sure. Gilreath maybe, but I thought he changed his commitment before Mason was fired. Wisconsin DL J. J. Watt was a commit that year as well, but changed. I think Watt may have changed when he got a Wisconsin offer because I don't think he had one when he committed to us. There was one other that someone was mentioning the other day, but I can't recall who it was.

This has worked out well for Greg Jones, but I think of another Jones--Leland--who was a great high school player out of Georgia and a 3- or 4-star guy who came up to Minnesota under Mason and never made an impact. Jones should maybe be thanking Maturi for firing Mason so he could play for a defensive coaching staff that could help make him the player he is today.

Yes, but Weber is only here because of Mase.

But wouldn't Mason have moved Jones to running back?

But wouldn't Mason have moved Jones to running back?

Funny you should say that, because that's what he did with Alex Daniels, who he recruited as a LB and who went on to play DE at Cincinnati.

You win some...you lose some...as some say, it was time to ditch Mason any way. Just like it was time to dump Cal Stol. Of course, Murray more than deserved to go. And Bernie Bierman was more than overdue to be shoved under the bus. Who will maturi and prexy b bring us next if they have to fire Brewster? Or, do we just wait until the end of the 2011 season and let the new prexy/prexyette get a real feel for things and decide what to do about the athletic director before worrying about the football coaching situation? This "lame duck" situation for the prexy could make things very interesting/dicy/questionable/risky. Will we finish the season with an old coach/new coach/lame, lame duck coach/no coach? Will TCF BANK STADIUM be a full house/lots of tickets for sale house/empty student section house/kinnic north/wisky west/Lincoln east potentially sold out house?

There is so much to worry about right now. There are a lot of really bad things that can/could happen if the right things are/or are not done by our lame duck administrators. Or, will prexy b do nothing and walk off into the sunset in June of 2010 leaving all of these issues for the new prexy/prexyette upon arrival? Will there be so many problems the new prexy/prexyette will be practically "failed" on arrival? This is all some pretty "heavy stuff." I sincerely do hope Gopher Football can muddle through some how.

Any chance to take a shot at the Gophers, they do. Boring...

Welcom back Wren

Why not post under your old handle instead of IMTHEWALRUS?
You are right, we Gopher fans are in a world of hurt. Can't turn back the clock
but one Mr. Maturi really stuck it too us with the late firing of coach Mason and the hiring of
the inexperienced Brewster. The AD's gamble on football coach without a track record is going to cost the U a lot of money in lost ticket sales and it will set the program back at least a season. It already has this season, with the 1-3 start. At the end that is what the U need's most as much as turning around the football program they need cash.

I just don't like the situation we have to turn this thing around right now...

Unfortunately, we have a lame duck prexy. In 9 months he will walk away, washing his hands of the mess he has had such a huge part in making. Now, there is a search process going on for the new president of the University of Minnesota. During the 9 months remaining, on one hand, it is not wise of him to make any major moves that the new prexy will need to live with. On the other hand, there are matters that are begging to be attended to...in academics, in athletics (specifically the football program) and in the financial concerns attacking all fronts for the U of M.

Unfortunately, the athletic director is also a lame duck. He is retirement age. Even if he was the most accomplished athletic director on the face of the earth, he should be leaving when prexy b leaves the University. He still probably has between one and two years remaining on his contract, and prexy b WAS talking about extending his contract for another two or three years so that the new prexy "wouldn't have to worry about appointing a new athletic director right away.

However, with the problems facing the football program and the burdon of having a brand new 300 million dollar stadium investment that in only the second year of it's operation is not filled every Saturday and is therefore not maximizing revenue streams, I believe that the football program AND the highly visible stadium will be a huge priority for the new prexy A kinnic north or camp randall wisky west or a lincoln memorial east insult even if the stadium was filled for those games would be the ultimate insult to Golden Gopher Football. Having it happen in the damn dome was one thing...but in TCF BANK STADIUM would be the height of failure and would signal the end of the significance of the football program.

So, since prexy b will not have 9 months to "wait it out...", he will be forced to make a move. I do NOT feel comfortable having a virtually retired prexy b and his equally virtually retired athletic director, joel maturi make moves for the football program that will dictate the next decade of success or failure for Golden Gopher Football. The only thing I fear nearly as much would be if prexy b did NOTHING about the situation we currently are faced with for Golden Gopher Football. I suggest that we need to all be afraid...be very afraid of what the next 8 Big Ten games will bring for the future of our football program.This all has to be taken care of by sometime in December of 2010 or early January of 2011. And, the new prexy does not come on board before June of 2011. This may be the best of times. Or, it may be the worst of times. No matter which, SOMETHING big will happen.

Unfortunately, we have a lame duck prexy. In 9 months he will walk away, washing his hands of the mess he has had such a huge part in making. Now, there is a search process going on for the new president of the University of Minnesota. During the 9 months remaining, on one hand, it is not wise of him to make any major moves that the new prexy will need to live with. On the other hand, there are matters that are begging to be attended to...in academics, in athletics (specifically the football program) in in finances on ALL fronts for the U of M.

Unfortunately, the athletic director is also a lame duck. He is retirement age. Even if he was the most accomplished athletic director on the face of the earth, he should be leaving when prexy b leaves the University. He still probably has between one and two years remaining on his contract, and prexy b WAS talking about extending his contract for another two or three years so that the new prexy "wouldn't have to worry about appointing a new athletic director right away.

However, with the problems facing the football program and the burdon of having a brand new 300 million dollar stadium investment that in only the second year of it's operation is not filled every Saturday and is therefore not maximizing revenue streams, I believe that the football program AND the highly visible stadium will be a huge priority for the new prexy A kinnic north or camp randall wisky west or a lincoln memorial east insult even if the stadium was filled for those games would be the ultimate insult to Golden Gopher Football. Having it happen in the damn dome was one thing...but in TCF BANK STADIUM would be the height of failure and would signal the end of the significance of the football program.

So, since prexy b will not have 9 months to "wait it out...", he will be forced to make a move. I don NOT feel comfortable having a virtually retired prexy b and his equally virtually retired athletic director, joel maturi make moves for the football program that will dictate the next decade of success or failure for Golden Gopher Football. The only thing I fear nearly as much would be if prexy b did NOTHING about the situation we currently are faced with for Golden Gopher Football. I suggest that we need to all be afraid...be very afraid of what the next 8 Big Ten games will bring for the future of our football program.This all has to be taken care of by sometime in December of 2010 or early January of 2011. And, the new prexy does not come on board before June of 2011. Thisay be the best of times. Or, it may be the worst of times. No matter which, SOMETHING big will happen.

Not that I read more than one paragraph, because it became obvious quick....but I think they just got internet in the lockup ward at HCMC...

Don't think we have a problem with the football program? Don't think it is severe? Who is going to take care of the problem and when?

Wren,

How on earth did you pare your post down to only 2 longwinded paragraphs?

I havent been paying too close of attention around here, but i expected the first post of yours (that I read anyways) to be at least 5 full paragraphs. In my defense though, i did what i did before with your posts. I read most of the first paragraph, skimmed the second, and had there been 3 or more, i would have skipped those entirely...

Just so you know, i really didnt know you were back until i read about prexy b.

We're doomed, DOOMED! We can't know with absolute certainty what the outcome of hiring a new coach is SO WE'RE DOOMED!!!

This has been a test of the emergency sarcasm system. Yes, there is always risk when hiring a new coach, it is never certain. Even the seemingly most sure things can flop. Or a coach that few had heard of comes out and does well and makes a name for himself.

Sports doesn't offer certainty. Deal with it.

However, running a sports program needs to have certain certainties built into the program. When you put so many rescources into a brand new, state of the art college football stadium, you need to stack the deck in the favor of having a program and a coach who will keep the stadium full with YOUR fans (not the fans from iowa, wisky and now Nebraska.) You NEED to give the long-time season ticket holders a reason to continue buying their season tickets. You NEED to insure that there is at least hope of being competetive within the Big Ten Conference. You do NOT pay a "name" more than twice as much to coach your Men's Basketball Program than a "no name" to coach your football program when you have a brand new 300 million dollar football stadium. You are either spending too much for the hoops coach or are not spending enough in having a "no-name" to run the football program.

It is incumbant upon the prexy or prexyette of your university to insure that very visual huge investment will pay off. Right now, the leadership has allowed a great deal of instability to threaten the positive impact that the new stadium should have on the reputation of the University, the competetivness of the University and to instill confidence in the leadership of the University.

Just who will restore confidence, pride and competetivness to the University of Minnesota re: their huge investment in this stadium? When will confidence, pride and competetivness be restored? Who will insure that the building of TCF BANK STADIUM was not just another boondoggle of an investment in the U of M by the "gang" that was running the U of M from the years 2,001 through June of 2011?

A 300 million dollar on campus stadium is a terrible thing to waste. Who will straighten out this football program problem that we have had, currently do have and will continue to have unless someone steps up to the plate. This is really serious stuff people. If you want to ignore the problem...fine. But it does worry me and does not bode well for the future.

However, running a sports program needs to have certain certainties built into the program.

Those certainties simply do not exist.

We are not ignoring the problem. There simply are no certainties. Open the wallet, pay for a big name coach, fine. But it MUST be recognized that this is no guarantee - the big name, big salary coach could be a bust too. Running around like your hair is on fire preaching that we are doomed is not dealing with the problem.

I can't believe we have survived the last 40+ years. It's almost a miracle that the walrus has, must be all the blubber.

Top Bottom