Thank you Lindsay

adamj95

Reaction score
I just wanted to take this time to thank Lindsay for her commitment to the University of Minnesota. After a fantastic playing career, Lindsay did not have to try her hand at coaching and could have just retired. She went from playing in high school to 4 years with the Gophers and then 14 years of playing professionally. She gave everything she had to the game of basketball. I’m sure no one is more disappointed that things didn’t work out at as a head coach. Lindsay is the reason I started watching the WNBA and I’m sure im not the only Minnesota fan to say that. I’m not sure what is in store for her in the future but I am damn proud to say that I got to watch up close and personal the best (in my opinion) Minnesota born athlete give it her all and show the utmost class while doing it.

Thank you Lindsay.

I just wanted to take this time to thank Lindsay for her commitment to the University of Minnesota. After a fantastic playing career, Lindsay did not have to try her hand at coaching and could have just retired. She went from playing in high school to 4 years with the Gophers and then 14 years of playing professionally. She gave everything she had to the game of basketball. I’m sure no one is more disappointed that things didn’t work out at as a head coach. Lindsay is the reason I started watching the WNBA and I’m sure im not the only Minnesota fan to say that. I’m not sure what is in store for her in the future but I am damn proud to say that I got to watch up close and personal the best (in my opinion) Minnesota born athlete give it her all and show the utmost class while doing it.

Thank you Lindsay.
100% agree with this. She was both of my daughters role models as they grew up and played basketball. She is a true gem on and off the court. Wish her the best in whatever is up next for her.

Thank you Lindsay! I started going to the barn for games when you and the Gophers ascended. I have followed you with the Sun and Lynx. Your drive, determination and spirit are none other. Your love for the game of basketball and Minnesota is none other. You will always represent Minnesota and be an icon for youth girls basketball. There was plenty of adversity in these last five years. Comments all around show how you respect and cared for players, teammates, family. I sincerely wish you the best going forward.

The outpouring of love for her in this wake shows the intangible leadership and character that made her one of the greatest ever.

As a player, pundits debate who was the greatest. Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, or Lindsay Whalen (and that entire Lynx team is considered). Whalen's greatness is harder to measure because she brought so many intangibles to the point guard position where she helped others to be their best. How do you measure that? The fact so many of her coached players were deeply touched by her shows the intangibles and giant leadership she has.

Signing her as the coach of Minnesota was like signing Prince, Taylor Swift or Michael Jackson to play at Williams Arena. Ticket sales went through the roof. It was a grand slam. In the long run she would have benefited from being a coaching assistant at a top program a few years. She still has all those intangibles, leadership characteristics, and experience for another role.

2 Gold Medals. Olympics. World Cup
1677943313656.png

Minnesota Final Four. Astounding phenom "wow" plays again and again
1677944186628.png

Winningest in WNBA History. 2nd Most Assists, Most Playoff Assists, Multiple Championships
1677943628673.png

Last edited:

She poured herself into the job and worked her ass off. There are all kinds of things a college graduate could do with their life--much easier things than this--and she chose to work her ass off when called upon by her alma mater. She answered the bell and gave it her all. Much respect.

Thank you Lindsay!! I am very sorry it ended this way. Major college coaching is unforgiving. I don't understand Mark Coyle's thinking concerning the timing of this move. He did not consult me, however.

Best wishes for whatever the future brings. Keep your head up!! You represented the U of MN well: passionate, determined, cheerful, with integrity.

Wanted to add, I don’t think I’ve ever been at a louder event in my entire life than game 1 of the 2017 finals at the Barn. The cheers for Lindsay being introduced and her leading the team still gives me chills. She is and was a special talent. She is the reason after all that the Gopher women play at Williams Arena.

If it wasn't for Lindsey (and Janel), I'd probably still be limiting myself to men's basketball. I thank her for opening my eyes to the purity (no dunking, less hero ball) of women's basketball.

This 100%. You are an icon that has inspired so many young women to play the game (maybe one on this team will the next MN womens BB legend) and many men to realize how exciting and compelling the women's game (NCAA and WNBA) can be.

I started watching Whalen in HS. I grew up in that area and was hearing about her impressive game. I got season tickets as soon as she came to the U. My friends and I followed them to every game of their magical ride to the Final Four.
Met her parents n McCarville’s Mom in New Orleans. She is an icon and will always be Legendary Lindsay to me !!

I never completely realized just how bonkers her college stats were until recently. She shot 53% during her college career here as a guard (most of our perimeter players shot below 40% this year for reference). One of the most efficient players ever.

Top Bottom