Thank you Blake!

EG#9

Reaction score
Another epic meltdown was narrowly avoided thanks to Blake Hoffarber. The Gophers couldn't even get a shot up for a large portion of the second half as they kept throwing the ball away in their effort to give away a 13 point lead. The only offense the Gophers had in the 2nd half was Blake for 3. To top it off, with the Gophers up 3, Devoe chokes on the front end of a one and one, but Blake gets the offensive board then hits both free throws to push the lead to 5.

I thought this was the 3rd straight game where Tubby's coaching left a lot to be desired. This team never came close to solving Northwestern's zone and it was very reminiscent of a Monson era game againt the Wildcats.

No it wasn't

it was very reminiscent of a Monson era game againt the Wildcats.

It wasn't because the Gophers won. Under Monson they would have lost. It's the Tubby difference.

another game where Blake scores big against a weak team. Not to be negative because a win is a win, but show me this against a top end team, please!

another game where Blake scores big against a weak team. Not to be negative because a win is a win, but show me this against a top end team, please!

We talked a bit about this in the chatroom. No.1 I think Northwestern has enough solid wins that they should not be considered weak. No. 2 It's not necessarily the quality of the team that determines Blake's scoring output, but the athleticism of their defense. If Blake has an athletic defender on him who can close the distance before he can get his shot off, he's not going to score.

We talked a bit about this in the chatroom. No.1 I think Northwestern has enough solid wins that they should not be considered weak. No. 2 It's not necessarily the quality of the team that determines Blake's scoring output, but the athleticism of their defense. If Blake has an athletic defender on him who can close the distance before he can get his shot off, he's not going to score.

good point, said better than I said it. Most of the better teams are more athletic, and put a better defender on him.

Zone defenses lose Blake, that's the difference. Purdue and Michigan State both play tough man defense with quick guards shadowing him.

Top Bottom