Thank-you Again Tubby Smith...

GoForGold

Reaction score
...for once again showing us what a PROVEN major college head coach can do, as opposed to a rookie high school head coach.

Awesome night. Looking forward to Sunday. Mbawke is a difference maker. A Bobby Jackson difference maker. Let's hope this one ends up a little better.

And this is without DJoe. Not saying we're serious contenders for the Big Ten this year, but today's game certainly made it more interesting.

And BTP is absolutely right: Mbakwe is the great equalizer for us. The link we've been missing the last couple of years.

...for once again showing us what a PROVEN major college head coach can do, as opposed to a rookie high school head coach.

And you know that PROVEN major college head coaches are just lining up for the football job.

And you know that PROVEN major college head coaches are just lining up for the football job.

Actually, from reading the Gopherhole the last few weeks, I think the Gopher football job has been officially linked to about 100 different coaches!!! The only name I haven't seen is Mike Ditka so that is probably who we get! haha.

I am confident we will get someone pretty good and definitely someone a lot better than the last one we had......

I really do think that Tubby's success (assuming it continues this year) will have a positive effect. The biggest drawback to the Gopher job, and it has been mentioned in a number of ways, is the belief that you can't win here. It is a different sport, of course, but winning always helps.

The Gopher basketball program was a mess too right before Tubby was hired, interim coach and record number of losses. The football team could hit a home run with their next coach too. You never know.

I would not be suprised if the next Gopher football coach is Tony Dungy!

Imagine if our next H/C mirrors Tubby.

In the span of little more than three years, our next football coach beats everyone in the conference at least once and knocks off an 8th rated historic powerhouse. That would blow my mind.

Just like how PROVEN major college head coaches were lining up for the Gopher basketball job (which was in a very similar position as our football program is currently in), right?

Get off it man.

Ummmm. I hate to be a wet blanket, but Carolina wasn't even a tournament team last year.
That being the case, I hope it was more of what the Gophers did last night than the Heels just not being very good again.

Every time the basketball team gets a win someone has to post one of these threads. It sounds so easy, lets just get a tubby smith style football coach. I wonder if Kansas and Duke fans think the exact same thing. Or the Iowa fans who say, "Why can't we get a basketball coach like Ferentz." It's not as easy as it sounds, so let just give tubby credit and leave it at that.

Ummmm. I hate to be a wet blanket, but Carolina wasn't even a tournament team last year.
That being the case, I hope it was more of what the Gophers did last night than the Heels just not being very good again.

They will be one this year. They were ranked 8 for a reason, if they aren't in the top 25 when the tourney rolls around in March, I will be shocked. Harrison Barnes is big time and they did a good job on him.

Every time the basketball team gets a win someone has to post one of these threads. It sounds so easy, lets just get a tubby smith style football coach. I wonder if Kansas and Duke fans think the exact same thing. Or the Iowa fans who say, "Why can't we get a basketball coach like Ferentz." It's not as easy as it sounds, so let just give tubby credit and leave it at that.

You completely missed my point, which was that it won't be easy to get this thing turned around. It's going to take a homerun hire.

Face the facts

Tubby was lightning in a bottle. The perfect hire. Unlikely to happen football. Not to say we can't get a good coach. Hire Ken N. a second after Navy;s last game.

I would hate to lose Tubby. I hope that he means when he says that this is his last coaching gig. The great thing is that he has us back to a point where we would be a very attractive job for another great coach, if he ever did leave or retire.

We need the same thing for our FB program.

I second your thanks to Tubby.

They will be one this year. They were ranked 8 for a reason, if they aren't in the top 25 when the tourney rolls around in March, I will be shocked. Harrison Barnes is big time and they did a good job on him.

Wasn't Louisville ranked like #3 two years ago? And didn't they end up ranked in the top ten? Same with Butler last year?

Time will tell whether UNC and Tubby's team are legit, but let's not forget that the season has more than 4 games.

....and right now they're about to lose to Vanderbilt.

Top Bottom