Thamel: Gophers hire new Special Teams Coordinator.

as noted, his coaching path intersected with Fleck.

I know that some coaching hires have no prior connection, but it does seem as if Fleck very much prefers to hire people whom he knows or has worked with before in some capacity. (which admittedly could be said about many coaches)

that might give us a clue on the DC hire. it probably is not going to be some "out of the blue" person. now that Special Teams is done, I would think that the DC hire will be announced within the next two weeks.
I am guessing Monday or Tuesday

I wonder if the new ST coordinator will just coach Special teams or if he will have a defensive responsibility as well. With the change to 10 coaches vs. 9 it does give teams the ability to dedicate a Special Teams coach and still keep 5 offensive and 4 defensive assistants as well.

I was more talking about gophers return game that day.
Executed a fake reverse kick return for 72 yards that basically sealed the game

But yes they did out punt them as well
Sometimes a player or players just screw up. Can't always blame the coach in these situations. Just my thoughts.

Good. Now get out of the way PJ and lets actually use the return game to our advantage.

Sometimes a player or players just screw up. Can't always blame the coach in these situations. Just my thoughts.
Sometimes you get out coached.
To execute a reverse or fake reverse KOR is really tough. nice job by Wenger.

It doesn’t make me think it is a bad hire. Just funny to me given how much everyone hates Wenger

Such as the post directly above this one

Syracuse has already removed him from their site. No longer listed on their football coaching staff, and the direct link posted earlier leads to a page that says "No information available."

Syracuse has already removed him from their site. No longer listed on their football coaching staff, and the direct link posted earlier leads to a page that says "No information available."
That’s funny because that wasn’t true 45 minutes ago

Sometimes you get out coached.
To execute a reverse or fake reverse KOR is really tough. nice job by Wenger.

It doesn’t make me think it is a bad hire. Just funny to me given how much everyone hates Wenger

Such as the post directly above this one
How would you rate the hire on an A-F scale?

How would you rate the hire on an A-F scale?
I haven’t watched special teams of Syracuse too closely apart from the one game I saw.
But if he still has fire in the belly I don’t know how you can rate the resume anything less than an A- hire

The only thing I don’t like about his resume is how few times he stays 4+ years. But the game is the game.

I haven’t watched special teams of Syracuse too closely apart from the one game I saw.
But if he still has fire in the belly I don’t know how you can rate the resume anything less than an A- hire

The only thing I don’t like about his resume is how few times he stays 4+ years. But the game is the game.
Yeah, I doubt he's here more than 3 years, but then again many assistants don't seem to stay much more than that.

No the guy who is standing on the 20 and waving fair catch
When you are told to fair catch on the sideline by your coach before you take the field, you fair catch no matter where the ball comes down.

This was quick. Known for awhile and were sitting on it?

I think what this really comes down to is a mindset about the role of special teams.

Fleck has seemed to take a very low-risk, low-reward approach to special teams. we'll see if the new coordinator goes along with that, or if he nudges Fleck to be willing to accept a little more aggressive approach to special teams - try for more returns - run a fake punt or a reverse on a return - etc.

the other question is how many starters will play on Special teams. I know we've had this argument before, but I still get nervous when a key starter (RB, WR, DB) is returning kicks or punts.

I think what this really comes down to is a mindset about the role of special teams.

Fleck has seemed to take a very low-risk, low-reward approach to special teams. we'll see if the new coordinator goes along with that, or if he nudges Fleck to be willing to accept a little more aggressive approach to special teams - try for more returns - run a fake punt or a reverse on a return - etc.

the other question is how many starters will play on Special teams. I know we've had this argument before, but I still get nervous when a key starter (RB, WR, DB) is returning kicks or punts.
I'm all for someone like receiver #3 returning kicks. Wouldn't necessarily want one of the top 2 returning kicks.

We ran a reverse in bowl game last year
Blocked a punt against eastern Michigan

I don’t think we are conservative as some think. Thought we certainly aren’t aggressive

What kind of recruiter is he? That is a huge part of being on a college staff.

as noted, his coaching path intersected with Fleck.

I know that some coaching hires have no prior connection, but it does seem as if Fleck very much prefers to hire people whom he knows or has worked with before in some capacity. (which admittedly could be said about many coaches)

that might give us a clue on the DC hire. it probably is not going to be some "out of the blue" person. now that Special Teams is done, I would think that the DC hire will be announced within the next two weeks.
Most jobs involve some sort of networking...

And even Glen Mason once talked about how hiring and such was all about meeting coaches at various events and so on. Not formal applications, just getting to know guys you might call up.

Not sure PJ is all that different.

Top Bottom