Texas Tech head basketball coach suspended for racially insensitive remarks.

I don’t consider myself an atheist by any means, I just don’t like the idea of a public school coach spouting off Bible verses. I’m not against religion, but I think even most Christians would agree that a good portion of the Bible is not very suitable to todays world.
Please don't tell me you're one of those "spiritual but not religious" types.

Why?

People wouldn't and shouldn't have any issue with someone quoting Confusious, the 4 Noble Truths, or the Illiad.

Why such an aversion to religious texts that you think it somehow is harmful for grown men to even hear it?

He's pretending to not understanding metaphors. It's just a waste of time. Now he'll go to his real point "black people were once slaves, therefore mentioning slaves is racist even if the passage is describing white slaves". I don't blame him for not wanting to actually type out his opinion it rightfully makes him feel silly.
First off where in the Bible did they say anybody was black or white? So what’s this white slave thing & 2nd why reference anything with slavery to make that point. Even if it wasn’t talking about slavery here, he had to know there would players not receptive to that reference

First off where in the Bible did they say anybody was black or white? So what’s this white slave thing & 2nd why reference anything with slavery to make that point. Even if it wasn’t talking about slavery here, he had to know there would players not receptive to that reference
If Adams wasn’t in that big of hot water with his team it may have been taken differently too. The fact the locker room was toxic and he went and doubled down on servant/master is part of the issue too

You need me to spell out for you that the Bible wasn't referencing the African slave trade?

Why reference it? Because it's a metaphor. Why mention teachers? Why mention workers? Why not mention it? Should we get a list of every reference that an overly sensitive person could squint and find a problem with?

Can we say the word "punch"? I know some women get punched. . .
Can we say the word "gas"? Ya, know that whole holocaust thing. . .
How about "kneel"? Ya, know the whole George Floyd thing. . .

Or maybe it makes more sense to just live in a world where we use common sense and are smart enough not to think a passage written over 1,000 years before the African Slave trade existed is racist against African Americans.

His first season was with Beard's players. Then lost McCullars and Shannon. I'm with you on his dismissal
He was the defensive guru as Beard’s assistant, some say the brains behind the team. Last year was a great run & this year struggled not only with losing two great players to transfer(one to Kansas) and injuries. They were still in a lot of close games just didn’t have the fire power to win. He’s already near 65 so his shelf life was t going to be too long. Players seemed to love him and didn’t give up when they started 0-9 in Big XII.

His first season all Beards good players left. He had a team of transfers. They made noise in the NCAA tournament.
This year with different transfers they have lost a lot of close games and had injuries.
He is old school..Zimmer like…style doesn’t play well with many people in 2023.
Not true regarding his first team but do agree with your last sentence.

While growing up a slav, specifically Polish, in a slavic neighborhood (Northeast Minneapolis), I was taught never to be offended by this. Nor when people make Polish jokes; unless of course they’re clearly not funny.

A reasonable internet query would suggest this is not a localized ethic, but extends throughout the slavic community. Nor have I met any Slavic person that disagrees.

Given this term has been a derivative for multiple millennia and we haven’t complained, I think that we can conclude this is approximately universal.

I’d appreciate you respecting that, as we don’t dictate to others either.

P.S. I was once told in the mid 90s, while I was in high school, by an adult that it was because Pollocks were too stupid to care; I laughed at it -still do.
The Finns invented the two stall outhouse. Not to be outdone, the Pole's built the double decker. 🎤
I will see myself out the room...

So does this now mean the Bible is racist? Not a religious guy…just asking
A person can quote the Bible out of context to imply nearly anything. It sounds like this coach picked a verse and then tried to use it out of context in order to get this player to become coachable. It's the wrong thing to do.
On the flip side it looks like the AD is hoping to save money by firing the coach for cause.

You need me to spell out for you that the Bible wasn't referencing the African slave trade?

Why reference it? Because it's a metaphor. Why mention teachers? Why mention workers? Why not mention it? Should we get a list of every reference that an overly sensitive person could squint and find a problem with?

Or maybe it makes more sense to just live in a world where we use common sense and are smart enough not to think a passage written over 1,000 years before the African Slave trade existed is racist against African Americans.
Common sense would be that you can't say "slaves should be obedient to their masters" - regardless of where the quote is coming from - and not expect a reaction. "I was talking about white guys" does not justify it in the least.

It is not remotely the same to say "I'm going to get some gas for my snow blower". If you said "those people should be put on a train to go get gassed at a concentration camp" that would be the equivalent of "slaves should be obedient to their masters". Common sense, indeed.

Not true regarding his first team but do agree with your last sentence.
We disagree regarding Texas Tech first season for Adams...top guard Mac McClung left for the pros, third leading scorer Kyler Edwards transferred to Houston, and starting guard Micah Peavy transferred to TCU. Four of their primary starters were transfers. Returnees McCullar and Shannon were often hurt. The majority of the roster was transfers.

He's pretending to not understanding metaphors. It's just a waste of time. Now he'll go to his real point "black people were once slaves, therefore mentioning slaves is racist even if the passage is describing white slaves". I don't blame him for not wanting to actually type out his opinion it rightfully makes him feel silly.
Yep, I knew you'd be the first one to defend this, based on all of your previous nonsense on these boards.

Can we just agree that all mentions of slavery are bad? But this is how racists think. By trying to thread the needle and suggest "well, white slavery is OK to reference" you open the door for slavery to be a normal part of the conversation, then eventually it turns into "all slavery" and you've pretty much eliminated slavery as a bad word. It's the DeSantis method. Eliminate parts of black history so eventually it's normal to eliminate all of it.

Same with your public school/prayer comments. "What's wrong with adults hearing some scripture?" Well, once you allow any scripture into public schools, you've created the monentum to allow all of it. And then our country becomes what you ultimately want, a theocracy instead of a constitutional republic.

Yes, people who think like you do need to be shouted down. And before you give me the only response you are capable of providing (hint: includes the words "woke" and "cancel"), let me say canceling the "let's make racism normal" platform, and canceling planned religious takeovers of this country, are both good things.

Well said!!!!

Common sense would be that you can't say "slaves should be obedient to their masters" - regardless of where the quote is coming from - and not expect a reaction. "I was talking about white guys" does not justify it in the least.

It is not remotely the same to say "I'm going to get some gas for my snow blower". If you said "those people should be put on a train to go get gassed at a concentration camp" that would be the equivalent of "slaves should be obedient to their masters". Common sense, indeed.
LOL. Oh no, I fully expected dumb people to have a reaction but no one should care about that reaction. The fact that people do it doesn't make it common sense. People do all kinds of dumb stuff.

That verse was written over a thousand years before the African slave trade. Think about that. . . a thousand years. No one was looking to justify anything, I am simply stating that the text that you find racially insensitive had absolutely nothing to do with the very thing that creates the insensitivity.

Ummm. . . look at your analogy again and apply it to the circumstances of the Texas Tech coach. Ya think you're analogy might, just might, be a little a more pointed? LOL. You could not have been more literal in your analogy.

Your analogy would be like if the coach said "Black slaves on a plantation in South Carolina should have listened to their white masters".

He referenced a bible verse with a quote about a common human practice that had been around for thousands of years before the transatlantic African slave trade and will be around for thousands of years after for the transatlantic African slave trade.

You can squint and pretend that it's "common sense" for a phrase written by white people about white people 1,000 years before the African slave trade is somehow racially insensitive for descendants of the African slave trade. . . but it's not. It's just being f'n stupid.

Yep, I knew you'd be the first one to defend this, based on all of your previous nonsense on these boards.

Can we just agree that all mentions of slavery are bad? But this is how racists think. By trying to thread the needle and suggest "well, white slavery is OK to reference" you open the door for slavery to be a normal part of the conversation, then eventually it turns into "all slavery" and you've pretty much eliminated slavery as a bad word. It's the DeSantis method. Eliminate parts of black history so eventually it's normal to eliminate all of it.

Same with your public school/prayer comments. "What's wrong with adults hearing some scripture?" Well, once you allow any scripture into public schools, you've created the monentum to allow all of it. And then our country becomes what you ultimately want, a theocracy instead of a constitutional republic.

Yes, people who think like you do need to be shouted down. And before you give me the only response you are capable of providing (hint: includes the words "woke" and "cancel"), let me say canceling the "let's make racism normal" platform, and canceling planned religious takeovers of this country, are both good things.
Slavery is still a real issue in many parts of the world, yet people would rather dwell on the fact that this country once had slaves. If we don't move past it at some point, we will never move forward as a society. Western nations were among the first to put an end to this practice. Now how much of that was due to technological advancements versus simply doing the right thing is certainly up for debate, but it happened and the USA/UK seemed to lead that charge when the time came. Point is People often offended by comments regarding slaves, have never lived a day as a slave and are probably indirectly supporting actual slavery in some way through general consumerism. Many Universities are supporting slavery directly by having Nike as their sponsor for athletics. Crickets on that front. I think the NCAA should step up and boycott them sending the message slavery is not okay, or do we not understand how manufacturing works in China? U of M where you at? If you want to feel bad for someone, do some research on how they mine lithium for batteries. Hint: It's not pretty.

I know, I'm the most racist aren't I?

All mentions of slavery are bad? LOL. This might the single most horrific stance on slavery ever written. I think it's incredibly important that we teach about the horrors of the transatlantic African slave trade. Are the mentions during those teachings bad? Slavery is not a bad word, it's a word that describes a terrible human practice, but no one on the planet has ever considered it a curse word. And I'm the one who is trying to eliminate black history? Wow. Ok.

How is your idiotic "all mentions of slavery" the "same" as school prayer? If you think an adult reading scripture to other adults creates the momentum to create a theocracy, you have absolutely no context of American history. People quote religious texts all of the time, it doesn't mean they are pushing their religion. I read the Illiad and the 4 Noble Truths in HS. There is a massive bridge between hearing religious texts (which we should all do across various religions) and building a theocracy. You know that. You're playing dumb.

I don't use the words "woke" and "cancel" because the truth is that people like you are not even "woke", you're just regurgitating things you heard. You do not believe the things you just typed - - you couldn't. You do not believe that all mentions of slavery are bad. You would never think that they should pull Roots off of TV because it discusses slavery. You do not think that people praying in public spaces or an adult reading a religious text to another adult is the path to theocracy. You couldn't think that. It's idiotic. You're not smart but you're smarter than that. You're simply regurgitating nonsense without putting it through any filter of logic.

Someday we'll all know when we meet him face to face
He was probably Jewish/Greek/Italian looking.

The first Arab-looking people did not take over Israel until around 600. But that area was a really diverse. There were a ton of trade routes in ancient Israel but most of those traders were Mediterranean looking (they were the ones who got better at sailing). Some of the traders could have been from Egypt though, which would open the door to more Asiatic people and potentially black (though there were few nubian (there term, not mine) Egyptian traders because they were more inland). A good rule of thumb is that people who were good at sailing were good at trading - so more inland people did not really dominate the ancient trade routes.

Slavery is still a real issue in many parts of the world, yet people would rather dwell on the fact that this country once had slaves. If we don't move past it at some point, we will never move forward as a society. Western nations were among the first to put an end to this practice. Now how much of that was due to technological advancements versus simply doing the right thing is certainly up for debate, but it happened and the USA/UK seemed to lead that charge when the time came. Point is People often offended by comments regarding slaves, have never lived a day as a slave and are probably indirectly supporting actual slavery in some way through general consumerism. Many Universities are supporting slavery directly by having Nike as their sponsor for athletics. Crickets on that front. I think the NCAA should step up and boycott them sending the message slavery is not okay, or do we not understand how manufacturing works in China? U of M where you at? If you want to feel bad for someone, do some research on how they mine lithium for batteries. Hint: It's not pretty.
This. Had no idea about the cobalt mining until I listened to this podcast.

Top Bottom