Texas Tech head basketball coach suspended for racially insensitive remarks.

So does this now mean the Bible is racist? Not a religious guy…just asking

So does this now mean the Bible is racist? Not a religious guy…just asking
When you quote bible verses referring to slaves serving their masters, apparently in an attempt to get your players to know their place in the hierarchy of who makes the rules around here and who follows them, it 100% will be taken as racially insensitive.

True but this coach will not lose the job over this one. Not in Tx.

When you quote bible verses referring to slaves serving their masters, apparently in an attempt to get your players to know their place in the hierarchy of who makes the rules around here and who follows them, it 100% will be taken as racially insensitive.
that makes sense, I didn't read the whole thing outside of it was a bible verse

While growing up a slav, specifically Polish, in a slavic neighborhood (Northeast Minneapolis), I was taught never to be offended by this. Nor when people make Polish jokes; unless of course they’re clearly not funny.

A reasonable internet query would suggest this is not a localized ethic, but extends throughout the slavic community. Nor have I met any Slavic person that disagrees.

Given this term has been a derivative for multiple millennia and we haven’t complained, I think that we can conclude this is approximately universal.

I’d appreciate you respecting that, as we don’t dictate to others either.

P.S. I was once told in the mid 90s, while I was in high school, by an adult that it was because Pollocks were too stupid to care; I laughed at it -still do.

While growing up a slav, specifically Polish, in a slavic neighborhood (Northeast Minneapolis), I was taught never to be offended by this. Nor when people make Polish jokes; unless of course they’re clearly not funny.

A reasonable internet query would suggest this is not a localized ethic, but extends throughout the slavic community. Nor have I met any Slavic person that disagrees.

Given this term has been a derivative for multiple millennia and we haven’t complained, I think that we can conclude this is approximately universal.

I’d appreciate you respecting that, as we don’t dictate to others either.

P.S. I was once told in the mid 90s, while I was in high school, by an adult that it was because Pollocks were too stupid to care; I laughed at it -still do.

On first reading your post, I was confused. I did not realize that "slav" and "slave" had a historical connection. I think the difference is that, although many slavs may have been slaves in middle ages Europe, slavic people were never slaves in America and we are Americans. Many African Americans today are descendants of persons who were slaves in this country less than 200 years ago. Even after emancipation, African Americans faced almost another century of legalized oppression in many places in this country and many of those people are still alive today.

Last edited:

At his prior head coaching gig, Adams had two seasons that would make Ben look good:

View attachment 24431
Woof. Didn't know anything about this guy, but looked up his record after you posted this. But for reference, his conference win % at that stop is still double CBJ's. Looks like he slayed it in the Juco's, racking up a 81% win percentage.

He's been a HC at Div. 1 (two stops), Div. 2, NJCAA, NAIA. Dude's been around.

I'm not so sure on this one. He hasn't been all that great since Beard left.
Lol it’s been 2 seasons and his first one was really good. That being said he’s rubbed a lot of people wrong and they didn’t want him in the first place. He’s gone

Lol it’s been 2 seasons and his first one was really good. That being said he’s rubbed a lot of people wrong and they didn’t want him in the first place. He’s gone
His first season was with Beard's players. Then lost McCullars and Shannon. I'm with you on his dismissal

Woof. Didn't know anything about this guy, but looked up his record after you posted this. But for reference, his conference win % at that stop is still double CBJ's. Looks like he slayed it in the Juco's, racking up a 81% win percentage.

He's been a HC at Div. 1 (two stops), Div. 2, NJCAA, NAIA. Dude's been around.

I didn't look up his full record (only D1) so I probably sold him a little short.

Even when referencing white slaves?

Why would you be referencing slaves in 2022? Def telling players to obey their master. A coach isn’t a master.
I can't remember referencing slaves in 2022. I may have referenced the slaves in the World Cup, the ones in China, or maybe in a discussion about the slave trade in Libya.

I don't understand your second sentence "Def telling players to obey their master". Not sure what you're trying to convey there.

Yep, a coach isn't a master or a teacher. A player isn't a student either.

You replied to my post, so I guess, I'll try to decipher what you're getting at but you need to leave some bread crumbs.

Why would you be referencing slaves in 2022? Def telling players to obey their master. A coach isn’t a master.
Basketball is a team game. The team needs to follow the coaches plan to accomplish their goals. If just one guy rebels and does his own thing it is no fun for anybody because results are poor and confusing.
The Bible talks about obedience. Listening to authority. That was the intent. To reach a player not following instructions.

His first season was with Beard's players. Then lost McCullars and Shannon. I'm with you on his dismissal
His first season all Beards good players left. He had a team of transfers. They made noise in the NCAA tournament.
This year with different transfers they have lost a lot of close games and had injuries.
He is old school..Zimmer like…style doesn’t play well with many people in 2023.

So the solution is we should live life by the bible or what? Not sure I could get my wife on board with 1 Timothy 2 12 but who knows.
You didn't have to tell me you'd have a hard time getting your wife on board :).

You should live your life by whatever code you'd like. I just laugh at cringey atheists that rip on the Bible. Most of those types have this amorphous sense of morals and virtue that could fit into whatever jar you put them in until they have absolutely zero meaning. Oddly enough, they are also the most self-righteous folks on the planet calling out whatever flavor-of-the-month psuedo-moral virtues fill up that god-shaped hole in their hearts.

But I don't give a crap what you believe. I just think most atheists don't realize they are still trying to figure out how to clean off the Nietzschean blood from their hands.

Basketball is a team game. The team needs to follow the coaches plan to accomplish their goals. If just one guy rebels and does his own thing it is no fun for anybody because results are poor and confusing.
The Bible talks about obedience. Listening to authority. That was the intent. To reach a player not following instructions.
He's pretending to not understanding metaphors. It's just a waste of time. Now he'll go to his real point "black people were once slaves, therefore mentioning slaves is racist even if the passage is describing white slaves". I don't blame him for not wanting to actually type out his opinion it rightfully makes him feel silly.

You didn't have to tell me you'd have a hard time getting your wife on board :).

You should live your life by whatever code you'd like. I just laugh at cringey atheists that rip on the Bible. Most of those types have this amorphous sense of morals and virtue that could fit into whatever jar you put them in until they have absolutely zero meaning. Oddly enough, they are also the most self-righteous folks on the planet calling out whatever flavor-of-the-month psuedo-moral virtues fill up that god-shaped hole in their hearts.

But I don't give a crap what you believe. I just think most atheists don't realize they are still trying to figure out how to clean off the Nietzschean blood from their hands.
I don’t consider myself an atheist by any means, I just don’t like the idea of a public school coach spouting off Bible verses. I’m not against religion, but I think even most Christians would agree that a good portion of the Bible is not very suitable to todays world.

Top Bottom