Texas Tech gets a wake up

Gophers112233

Reaction score
not sure if anyone pays attention to TT... but Stollings played another cupcake non conference..

then tonight opened up Big 12 season with a 30 point lost to Iowa State...

TT went down 17 early.. cut it to 2 at half.. then ISU started the 3rd on a 17-2 run and outscored TT 31-4 in the 3rd..

Iowa State won 96-66

ISU scored 35 pts in the first quarter, and hit 16 threes for the game.

I watched it. Not gonna lie...I enjoyed every delicious minute!!

TT does have Brittany Brewer, who at #14 is slightly better than Taiye at #21 in total rebounds per game. She’s also #1 in blocked shots. Perhaps that’s the main bright spot on her roster?

A bit surprised she’s still doing the cupcake schedule thing. I had myself convinced that was mainly part of her plan to make her Gopher results look better so she could make the leap to a warmer, higher paying coaching job. Maybe she’s planning another leap? The only place warmer would be Mexico.

Texas Tech's RPI is 217.

Yeah, and if you watch the video above, you’ll hear her say that they’ve set themselves well for a NCAA bid.

She’s a conwoman.

Last edited:

It's all "fun and games" until conference action begins. I'm not a Stollings hater, but her idea of scheduling the weakest non-conference opponents available is never going to serve her well. As a matter of fact, the schedule she set up for last year's Gophers may have played a major role in the Gophers not making the tourney last year. (That and the traumatic loss to Maryland in College Park.) Do I recall correctly that she had a ton of transfers in the off-season? (Too lazy to look it up.) She can relish in her non-conference success, but, as Whalen can attest to, conference games are a "whole 'nother thing."

It's all "fun and games" until conference action begins. I'm not a Stollings hater, but her idea of scheduling the weakest non-conference opponents available is never going to serve her well. As a matter of fact, the schedule she set up for last year's Gophers may have played a major role in the Gophers not making the tourney last year. (That and the traumatic loss to Maryland in College Park.) Do I recall correctly that she had a ton of transfers in the off-season? (Too lazy to look it up.) She can relish in her non-conference success, but, as Whalen can attest to, conference games are a "whole 'nother thing."

Especially since it should be teams' goal, if they have any decent players, to make NCAA Tournament, and it should be obvious that RPI/SOS and wins over other good teams seems to be what the committee values the most, and playing the worst teams possible ruins your RPI/SOS and you don't pick up any good wins by only playing bad teams. And non-conference games matter just as much as conference games (e.g. Tennessee made tournament last year, despite their terrible losses in SEC play, because their non-conference was decent enough while teams like West Virginia had non-conference SOS almost as bad as Gophers, and during years of Stollings' terrible non-conference schedules for the Gophers, Big Ten teams who were barely better than Gophers would make tournament easily while the Gophers would miss or barely make it in).

She can relish in her non-conference success, but, as Whalen can attest to, conference games are a "whole 'nother thing."
Maybe she believed the Big 12 was an easier conference to win that the B1G (until they played Iowa State)? Frankly, had she not left when she did, we had decided to cancel our season tickets (after 16 years).

Maybe she believed the Big 12 was an easier conference to win that the B1G (until they played Iowa State)? Frankly, had she not left when she did, we had decided to cancel our season tickets (after 16 years).

Winning the Big 12 requires getting past Baylor, so probably not.

I have a feeling Stollings has her contracts written up so bonus money is paid by attendance. That goes up with winning. It’s the only thing that makes sense. Stollings has been around long enough to know how scheduling affects RPI. She don’t care. She wants those wins.

Yeah, and if you watch the video above, you’ll hear her say that they’ve set themselves well for a NCAA bid.

She’s a conwoman.
Yeah, it looks like an easy road to the NCAAs for TT (ha ha). She seems pretty proud, not only about their 11-0 record against their cupcake non-conf schedule (and proud they should be, I suppose, since they’re the only team in the country with an 11-0 record against such a cupcake non-conf schedule - oh wait, not only that, but they’re actually the only team in the country to actually play such an ultimate-cupcake non-conf schedule), but also for their recent (TT) record-breaking 115-58 win over UTSA. Who has an RPI of 336. Whoopee!

TT’s RPI is now tweaked to #220 with a non-conf RPI of #194 that is boosted by those 11 non-conf wins. Their non-conf SoS is #351 - which is a tell for the severe cupcake-ness of their schedule. Add the ISU (loss) game, and that only bumps their SoS to a current #350, so that implies that the ISU that massacred them is not that good (their RPI = #77).

In spite of this, they (on paper at least) still have a chance to get in the NCAAs. Warren Nolan’s end-of-season projections have TT down for just two more losses, both against Baylor. But I think Warren Nolan is unduly influenced by its 11-1 current record. They also have to play TCU (RPI = #21) twice, we’ll see how that goes (Nolan has TT winning, for now). And then there’s Kansas and Oklahoma and West Virginia and Iowa State again (away this time). Good luck on that.

If they do the miracle and only suffer 2 more Big-12 losses, they end up with an RPI of #38 per Nolan. I guess that’s Marlene’s theory: set the team up with a perfect record against cupcake teams, then demand the team to play nearly perfectly the rest of the season.

Last edited:

TT will find out eventually that her teams run n gun but play no D. This interview reminded me how glad I am she is gone.

I have a feeling Stollings has her contracts written up so bonus money is paid by attendance. That goes up with winning. It’s the only thing that makes sense. Stollings has been around long enough to know how scheduling affects RPI. She don’t care. She wants those wins.
Gotta boost her record so it looks better when shes looking for new contract.

Tech playing pretty well against TCU tonight.

Texas tech loses big again tonight 92-66 against Texas.

Tech is not making the NCAA's even in the weak sauce version of this years Big 12. They are dead last in scoring defense in the league so far. The Big 12 is likely to have only four teams or so in the dance at this point if the picks are truly objective and based on merit. Anything more than four means some mid-major is getting screwed out of spot (and I'm a Big 12 guy). Tech is one of the bottom four in the league along with KSU, KU, and OSU. KSU, KU and OSU are bad at both ends and Tech is dreadful on defense.

Tech is not making the NCAA's even in the weak sauce version of this years Big 12. They are dead last in scoring defense in the league so far. The Big 12 is likely to have only four teams or so in the dance at this point if the picks are truly objective and based on merit. Anything more than four means some mid-major is getting screwed out of spot (and I'm a Big 12 guy). Tech is one of the bottom four in the league along with KSU, KU, and OSU. KSU, KU and OSU are bad at both ends and Tech is dreadful on defense.

fun to see that Stollings still hasn't figured out.. it doesn't matter if you can score lots of points.. you have to keep the other team from scoring lots of points.

A possible landing spot for Destiny Pitts?

Good for Texas Tech though it makes me ill to say it. Marlene can run offense.

Tied 52 all at the end of three; Baylor outscored Texas Tech 25-10 in the fourth for the victory.

Top Bottom