Texas Tech collective offers $25,000 NIL contracts to 100 players, ranking among biggest team-wide deals

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

A collective at Texas Tech is promising to sign every scholarship player and a number of walk-ons to a $25,000 name, image and likeness (NIL) contract. The Matador Club, a collective run by five Texas Tech graduates, has proposed signing 100 players -- all 85 scholarship players and 15 walk-ons -- to one-year contracts that can be renewed heading into next season. More than 1,000 people have donated to the the collective, according to founding member Cody Campbell, co-CEO of DoublePoint Energy.

"Collectives have done things a number of different ways," Campbell told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. "You see some of them paying large amounts to individual players. You see others doing different things. But what we want to do, really, is support the entire program. This is kind of a base salary for the guys. They're not going to be restricted from doing any other NIL stuff with anybody else. In fact, we're going to encourage and help them to do that.

The collective contract ranks among one of the biggest team-wide deals in all of college football. Miami players were offered a contract of $500 a month by local fitness chain American Top Team last year. BYU's walk-ons received an NIL scholarship that covered tuition by protein bar Built Brands, while scholarship players could receive $1,000. A Texas collective also offered $50,000 to offensive linemen through an alleged charity endeavor named "Horns with Heart."

However, Texas Tech's ranks as perhaps the biggest offering for a full roster of players with expenses adding up to as much as $2.5 million. In exchange, players would be required to do community service around Lubbock and other West Texas cities.

Go Gophers!!

per CBS:

A collective at Texas Tech is promising to sign every scholarship player and a number of walk-ons to a $25,000 name, image and likeness (NIL) contract. The Matador Club, a collective run by five Texas Tech graduates, has proposed signing 100 players -- all 85 scholarship players and 15 walk-ons -- to one-year contracts that can be renewed heading into next season. More than 1,000 people have donated to the the collective, according to founding member Cody Campbell, co-CEO of DoublePoint Energy.

"Collectives have done things a number of different ways," Campbell told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. "You see some of them paying large amounts to individual players. You see others doing different things. But what we want to do, really, is support the entire program. This is kind of a base salary for the guys. They're not going to be restricted from doing any other NIL stuff with anybody else. In fact, we're going to encourage and help them to do that.

The collective contract ranks among one of the biggest team-wide deals in all of college football. Miami players were offered a contract of $500 a month by local fitness chain American Top Team last year. BYU's walk-ons received an NIL scholarship that covered tuition by protein bar Built Brands, while scholarship players could receive $1,000. A Texas collective also offered $50,000 to offensive linemen through an alleged charity endeavor named "Horns with Heart."

However, Texas Tech's ranks as perhaps the biggest offering for a full roster of players with expenses adding up to as much as $2.5 million. In exchange, players would be required to do community service around Lubbock and other West Texas cities.

Go Gophers!!
Man, we're a LONG way from, "the kids should be able to make a few bucks signing autographs." These are now contracted, professional athletes. Something needed to be done, but I'm afraid this is off the rails and the genie is way too far out of the bottle to ever go back.

We can start a “The Rodent Club”

100 players - $25K/each

We should be able to fundraise $250K every year to provide $25K/player amongst us UMn alums, no? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Man, we're a LONG way from, "the kids should be able to make a few bucks signing autographs." These are now contracted, professional athletes. Something needed to be done, but I'm afraid this is off the rails and the genie is way too far out of the bottle to ever go back.
This outcome was super predictable, and is in the VERY early stages. $25K will sound laughably quaint in 5 years. Just wait for the arms race to spread across the south where college football is the most important thing those people have in life and is the heart of their state's identity.

You could get state legislatures in some of these places to use tax dollars to buy a team.

You kill the one time free transfer. That halts "transfer portal free agency". But it doesn't do anything about $igning them to the first school.

The only way to put it back in the bottle is to replace it with outright payments from the athletic dept (ie, student-athlete-employees). Schools don't want that and will fight it tooth and nail to the bitter end.

But if you succeeded, you could try to get the players in the super leagues (by that time) to have a Player's Association and collectively bargain to put a hard salary cap on each team.

Yes, but where is the other $2.25 million going to come from?
I'm sure they'd take $2.5k, though. That buys a lot of beer and pizza on the weekends.

Actually, by my rough calculation, that would be $500 per weekend, every weekend of the year except two (take a break during Xmas and one more). Assuming no taxes paid on this money, which is probably not correct.

This outcome was super predictable, and is in the VERY early stages. $25K will sound laughably quaint in 5 years. Just wait for the arms race to spread across the south where college football is the most important thing those people have in life and is the heart of their state's identity.

You could get state legislatures in some of these places to use tax dollars to buy a team.
Agree. This will be the part where the cards will reshuffle some and this secondary "middle tier" of teams that will rise up due to funding is going to really alter the landscape of the sport. The top tier teams were always going to remain the top tier, but teams like TX Tech, Ole Miss, etc who can come up with funds are going to shuffle where the 2nd crop of athletes go (ie the mid tier 4 stars were not heading to Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc.)

Agree. This will be the part where the cards will reshuffle some and this secondary "middle tier" of teams that will rise up due to funding is going to really alter the landscape of the sport. The top tier teams were always going to remain the top tier, but teams like TX Tech, Ole Miss, etc who can come up with funds are going to shuffle where the 2nd crop of athletes go (ie the mid tier 4 stars were not heading to Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc.)
Assuming those schools didn't already have bag men doing essentially the same thing but under the table.

Meh.

I don't want a kid who only wants to come to play for the Minnesota Gophers because of a payday (bag, NIL, whatever).

Don't want em. I want kids who want to be here because of all the rest of it, and if they get some money on the side too, great.

We can't all be as squeaky clean as Lane Kiffin. It is laughable that a dirtbag like him would whine about it. Even if he might have a good point.

I don't think Lane is whining about it. He's just being blunt.

I'm sure they'd take $2.5k, though. That buys a lot of beer and pizza on the weekends.

Actually, by my rough calculation, that would be $500 per weekend, every weekend of the year except two (take a break during Xmas and one more). Assuming no taxes paid on this money, which is probably not correct.
$500 x 50 weeks is $25k.

$2.5k is about $200/month. I don’t think that would move the needle much, if at all.

Yeah!

But anyway, I'm sure they'd take $50 a weekend! That buys .... some beer. :)

Hey - new episode of Gopher Gridiron Radio is up. former Gopher Derek Burns is the guest. He is starting an NIL collective called "Dinkytown Athletes."

the entire show is about NIL. what it is - what it isn't.

Ryan Burns said rather bluntly that other schools have been paying players for years, and the Gophers have lost recruits because of it, including during the current recruiting cycle.

big point made - at MN, the compliance department has to approve all these deals. that same level of compliance *may* not exist at other schools. so the new collective is being created on the basis of meeting all the rules.

also - the focus is on supporting the current student-athletes by creating opportunities for them. it's not about coming up with a bag of cash to hand to a recruit. talked about working with local boosters, alums, businesses, students, etc to create opportunities for fans to engage with players and create ways to generate money that can go to the players.

the idea is to have this system in place. then, the Gophers can tell recruits, "if you come here, this is what is available for our athletes."

worth a listen.

I see Iowa is paying only $1000 per month ($12,000) for 115 football players. Not sure where the extra 30 players come from. Seems like an extraordinary number of walkons.

I see Iowa is paying only $1000 per month ($12,000) for 115 football players. Not sure where the extra 30 players come from. Seems like an extraordinary number of walkons.
The NCAA roster limit is 125 active players. I think Minnesota averages over 110 players.

That allows for "traditional" walkons. Guys who were not recruited, got into the school on their own, then say "hey coach, can I come out and be on the scout team?"

Hey - new episode of Gopher Gridiron Radio is up. former Gopher Derek Burns is the guest. He is starting an NIL collective called "Dinkytown Athletes."

Ryan Burns said rather bluntly that other schools have been paying players for years, and the Gophers have lost recruits because of it, including during the current recruiting cycle.

big point made - at MN, the compliance department has to approve all these deals. that same level of compliance *may* not exist at other schools. so the new collective is being created on the basis of meeting all the rules.

also - the focus is on supporting the current student-athletes by creating opportunities for them. it's not about coming up with a bag of cash to hand to a recruit. talked about working with local boosters, alums, businesses, students, etc to create opportunities for fans to engage with players and create ways to generate money that can go to the players.

the idea is to have this system in place. then, the Gophers can tell recruits, "if you come here, this is what is available for our athletes."

worth a listen.
After listening to the podcast, I registered with "Dinkytown Athletes". I dropped my subscription to GI. I'll be putting that money and a little more towards the NIL. I felt that the money I spent for the subscription was only benefiting my need for Gopher info. This way I'm now able to directly help the U athletic programs. It's not much, but it's a start. Go Gophers!

worth a listen.
In other words, we do it the "right" way while major programs that "matter" are allowed to get away with cheating.

Like it always has been and always will be.

The crappy part about college, compared to the pros where things are fair.

$2000 a month for 110 players seems like a better plan than crazy money for one or a couple guys. At least as a baseline.

Remember the old line about guys keeping their wives barefoot and pregnant? That way they couldn’t wander. Well, college football players have been kinda like that…meetings, workouts, practices, classes, studying, nutrition, tutors, grade point averages and players have no time to do anything but eat, sleep, drink football. If they each got $2000 a month…discipline is going to be far more difficult to keep focused with 18-23 year old players.

The correct answer to fix a lot of this is to limit roster size to like 60-80 somewhere. The smaller the roster size limit the more talent will be spread

After listening to the podcast, I registered with "Dinkytown Athletes". I dropped my subscription to GI. I'll be putting that money and a little more towards the NIL. I felt that the money I spent for the subscription was only benefiting my need for Gopher info. This way I'm now able to directly help the U athletic programs. It's not much, but it's a start. Go Gophers!
Props to you, but this just reinforces how absurd the current system is. Coaches and schools are making huge amounts of money from football, but fans have to donate out of their own pockets in order for the players that make it all happen to get any money.

It’s like a tip for waiters who get peanuts for an hourly wage. Except the restaurant is making a big profit and using a lot of it on stupid shit. Either way, the customers are unnecessarily paying too much while the restaurant lines its pockets.

Top Bottom