Texas scares me

JoeDirt

Reaction score
I think that all of this expansion drama is exciting, I'm very excited to see what the final outcome will be. I like the fact that Nebraska, Missouri, and Notre Dame could be coming to the new Brickhouse every year. However, The thought of Texas joining the Big Ten scares the living sh*t out of me. I truly feel that the Longhorns could absolutely ruin the conference. Most of the Big 12 feels that Texas are the ones that ruined the SWAC, and the Big 12/8. It's been said on this site many times that people don't believe that Texas should join because they just don't feel Big Ten, and I agree. I say let the Pac 10 have 'em, and let the Pac 10 deal with all the bullcrap that they try to pull. I understand completely that Texas brings gobs of money and power and markets etc., but I just can't help feeling that this is a bad idea. If anybody has any insight into Texas and how they operate I would love to learn more about them.

Just had a thought.

Why doesn't Texas go independent? All they want to do is bring in a ton of cash, control everything, and feel super big and important. They can have their own TV channel. Continue to dominate the recruiting of the top talent-producing state in the country.

So far they have succeeded in alienating many of their old SWC rivals, and now most of the big12 is sick of their bullying. Maybe it's best if Texas just does its own thing. It would be fitting, seeing as most Texans see themselves as Texan first and American second.

They can start up yearly rivals with everyone who matters to them. A&M, Tech, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc.

I do not think Nebraska left the Big 12 only to be joined by Texas. No way Texas joins the Big 10. Grab Missouri and Kansas while the grabbing is good. Obviously get Notre Dame if at all possible and have a compelling Super Regional conference that will last indefinately. Lots of fantastic and enduring rivalrys in that group of schools.

I really think that we are all big winners in our super-conference scenario. If we somehow get ND to join we are going to see fantastic games every single saturday.

Just had a thought.

Why doesn't Texas go independent? All they want to do is bring in a ton of cash, control everything, and feel super big and important. They can have their own TV channel. Continue to dominate the recruiting of the top talent-producing state in the country.

They'd have to find a conference for all their other sports. Don't see that happening.

There was a time, around 63,000,000 years ago, when independents roamed the Earth. But an asteroid struck the Yucatan peninsula, and the independents were wiped out.

Oooops, that was the dinosaurs. I get confused. :D Notre Dame is a "living fossil", but they are only independent for football. Texas good go that same route, but they would have to find a conference for all their other teams, which might well be a step down. Texas isn't one of these schools where sports besides football are an afterthought.

Texas scares me too. I have in-laws living there, and I get introduced as a Yankee liberal. You can just feel the love. I'm surprised I made it out of the woods on some of those hog hunting expeditions.

I was mostly kidding about the independent thing. I really meant to express that Texas is messing up everything and i really wouldn't care if they go down in flames, lovely burnt orange flames.

I guess I'm in the minority on this thread, but Texas is a great football and basketball school and I would love to add another powerhouse to the Big Ten. I'd be much more excited watching the Gophers face Texas than Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois or Purdue.

i am nervous about texas also, they do not play well with others. Their fans seem to think the Big Ten is going to make concessions in their offer that will give them special treatment.

i am nervous about texas also, they do not play well with others. Their fans seem to think the Big Ten is going to make concessions in their offer that will give them special treatment.

That's TX for ya. I'd bet my house they'd want the B10 championship game in Jerry Jones stadium too.

Texas scares me for the following reason: The conference would end up with Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, and Penn State. What are the chances that ANYONE outside of those 4 schools wins the Big Ten title? I honestly think that those 4 teams will win 9 out of every 10 conference championships in football. 4 schools with huge followings, great recruiting bases, and large budgets.

Texas scares me for the following reason: The conference would end up with Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, and Penn State. What are the chances that ANYONE outside of those 4 schools wins the Big Ten title? I honestly think that those 4 teams will win 9 out of every 10 conference championships in football. 4 schools with huge followings, great recruiting bases, and large budgets.

i dont see it quite like that. If this would go down those schools would be broken up into to divisions in some form. I think this would actually perhaps make it easier to rise up because if you can make it to the championship game maybe even second in your division i think you would start gaining some steam.

what i am worried about is like the guy before me said, texas thinking they run the place, as in wanting to move championship game and whatever else is in their interest. It also concerns me that adding selfish schools like texas and notre dame may in the long run chip away at the big ten unity. Thats why i really dont like forcing nd's hand. It just doesnt seem like a good idea to force a team into your conference unless they really want to

This. If we have to make any concessions to Texas, no matter how minute, there is no reason we should do this. If we have to make small concessions to Notre Dame, I wouldn't be please, but I could live with it since they are such a natural fit. Texas doesn't fit at all, outside of the $$$. But I worry. The Big 10 has always seemed so stable, and has been the one holding that cards and putting the pieces in motion, mainly because of the close bonds and unity between schools. I fear Texas will disrupt this.

Texas greed has destroyed 2 conferences so far, don't let the Big 10 be the 3rd. However, I think that Delaney is a strong enough leader and has enough support from the larger programs in the conference that they would not be able to stand up to Texas. The benefit to having a Texas in the conference is that it potentially opens Texas recruiting a little more for those schools in the same division as them.

The Big Ten's greatest strength beyond the powerful brand name is that is treats all its members equally when it comes to revenue sharing. This is why the Big Ten consistently has 11 teams that can beat just about anyone on any given day (see 2009 season for many examples).

However, I think many of the posters of this thread are missing a larger point. If Texas joins the Big Ten Texas recruits (the best in the country) will grow up living and breathing Big Ten football. The same is true if Texas joins the Pac-Ten.

I for one think it would be insane to push Texas in any direction other than coming here or remaining in the Big 12. If Texas goes to the Pac-Ten I fear that the Big Ten would eventually become nothing more than that conference that isn't quite as good or as marketable as the Pac-Ten or SEC. The ESPN hype machine would surely do everything in its power to make this happen. And as we all know, most sports writers are mindless sheep.

yeah I don't want Texas either that's not Big Ten FB. I'll take either just Nebraska and stick with that or Big Red, Mizzou, and Kansas if ND is a for sure no.

The Big Ten's greatest strength beyond the powerful brand name is that is treats all its members equally when it comes to revenue sharing. This is why the Big Ten consistently has 11 teams that can beat just about anyone on any given day (see 2009 season for many examples).

However, I think many of the posters of this thread are missing a larger point. If Texas joins the Big Ten Texas recruits (the best in the country) will grow up living and breathing Big Ten football. The same is true if Texas joins the Pac-Ten.

I for one think it would be insane to push Texas in any direction other than coming here or remaining in the Big 12. If Texas goes to the Pac-Ten I fear that the Big Ten would eventually become nothing more than that conference that isn't quite as good or as marketable as the Pac-Ten or SEC. The ESPN hype machine would surely do everything in its power to make this happen. And as we all know, most sports writers are mindless sheep.

I don't think Texas wants to go to the Big 10 however largely due to the excessive travel. In the Pac 10 they can bring all their friends along and join a division with Arizona schools and will therfore not have to travel that far very often. In the Big 10, with the exception of A&M, Nebraska would be their closest game.

I don't think Texas wants to go to the Big 10 however largely due to the excessive travel. In the Pac 10 they can bring all their friends along and join a division with Arizona schools and will therfore not have to travel that far very often. In the Big 10, with the exception of A&M, Nebraska would be their closest game.

I predict that ASU is going to absolutely have their way with the Dallas Area recruits.

I want Texas and North Carolina.

The SEC is already planning a raid of the ACC. North Carolina is the best addition for the Big Ten on the East Coast. With Nebraska, Texas and North Carolina, the Big Ten could watch ACC and Big East crumble and decide weather they want Notre Dame or someone else.

I do not think Nebraska left the Big 12 only to be joined by Texas. No way Texas joins the Big 10. Grab Missouri and Kansas while the grabbing is good. Obviously get Notre Dame if at all possible and have a compelling Super Regional conference that will last indefinately. Lots of fantastic and enduring rivalrys in that group of schools.

Kansas is not coming to the Big Ten. No way. No how.

It's not like these guys travel by train anymore.

AUS to LAX via Southwest Air - Travel time 3:10
AUS to MSP via Delta - Travel Time 2:57

Both are nonstop flights.

No Texas

I propose we start a drive for the US to sell Texas to Meixco, provides a much easier border to guard and all we lose are a few cattle and some sand. They don't pump much oil in TX anymore anyway.

It's not like these guys travel by train anymore.

AUS to LAX via Southwest Air - Travel time 3:10
AUS to MSP via Delta - Travel Time 2:57

Both are nonstop flights.

I understand this but if the Pac 10 divisions play out as advertised it would be

Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Okie State
Arizona
Arizona St.

That mean multiple games within a few hours drive or a short flight of each other with an occasional game outside the division, versus if they joined the Big 10 every single game would be atleast a few hours flight with the exception of A&M. This especially comes into play when you have a midweek basketball or soccer game and you try and limit the amount of school that students miss.

I think that all of this expansion drama is exciting, I'm very excited to see what the final outcome will be. I like the fact that Nebraska, Missouri, and Notre Dame could be coming to the new Brickhouse every year. However, The thought of Texas joining the Big Ten scares the living sh*t out of me. I truly feel that the Longhorns could absolutely ruin the conference. Most of the Big 12 feels that Texas are the ones that ruined the SWAC, and the Big 12/8. It's been said on this site many times that people don't believe that Texas should join because they just don't feel Big Ten, and I agree. I say let the Pac 10 have 'em, and let the Pac 10 deal with all the bullcrap that they try to pull. I understand completely that Texas brings gobs of money and power and markets etc., but I just can't help feeling that this is a bad idea. If anybody has any insight into Texas and how they operate I would love to learn more about them.

What evidence do you have of any of this? Arkansas ruined the SWC (not the SWAC) when they bolted for the SEC.

I understand this but if the Pac 10 divisions play out as advertised it would be

Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Okie State
Arizona
Arizona St.

That mean multiple games within a few hours drive or a short flight of each other with an occasional game outside the division, versus if they joined the Big 10 every single game would be atleast a few hours flight with the exception of A&M. This especially comes into play when you have a midweek basketball or soccer game and you try and limit the amount of school that students miss.

The non-revenue sports are still going to be making some long trips over 2 time zones (though as you note, fewer of them would be midweek).

The non-revenue sports are still going to be making some long trips over 2 time zones (though as you note, fewer of them would be midweek).

Agreed, some long trips will be unavoidable, but the Pac 10 will take all of those current Big 12 south schools which means more games in Texas or nearby Oklahoma for all these schools.

I propose we start a drive for the US to sell Texas to Meixco, provides a much easier border to guard and all we lose are a few cattle and some sand. They don't pump much oil in TX anymore anyway.

ahhhh. Northern ignorance at it's finest.

And Goldmember, please explain your comment about ASU having their way with Dallas talent. That may have been the dumbest comment I've ever read on this board.

What evidence do you have of any of this? Arkansas ruined the SWC (not the SWAC) when they bolted for the SEC.

Well no hard evidence, but even today the Texas spin machine was blaming Nebraska for ruining the Big 12. Back in the mid 90's Arkansas was blamed for the downfall of the SWC (thanks for the correction.) Not sure who was at fault, but I sincerely believe that Nebraska is leaving for greener pastures on it's own account. If the Big 12 is basically a Texas-centered league than why would some middle-of-nowhere school like Nebraska leaving cause it to crumble like tinfoil? Why not just replace them? The Longhorns don't give a sh*t about the Big 12, and Nebraska knows this. I believe it is just convenient that the Huskers left first so Texas has a fall guy. I'm not so sure this isn't exactly what happened with Arkansas taking the blame 15 years ago. Either way I think it's reasonable to look at it both ways and I certaintly think Texas deserves some blame for both instances.

Top Bottom