Texas RB Bijan Robinson has signed an NIL deal with Lamborghini of Austin. 🔥

I hope he doesn't wrap the thing around a tree. Maybe they can install one of those top speed limiters.

Again .... where are any of you seeing anything that he actually gets a car, out of the deal??

It's a well known, popular brand. That, in of itself, is something.

Put it this way:
if a Gopher player signed a NIL deal with Warners' Stellian, would you automatically assume they shipped him a free Viking range? ;)

Again .... where are any of you seeing anything that he actually gets a car, out of the deal??

It's a well known, popular brand. That, in of itself, is something.

Put it this way:
if a Gopher player signed a NIL deal with Warners' Stellian, would you automatically assume they shipped him a free Viking range? ;)
Are you saying Viking ranges are similarly popular or desired by 18 year old athletes as a sports car?

Are you saying Viking ranges are similarly popular or desired by 18 year old athletes as a sports car?
I'm pretty sure (and hopeful) that they are not.

This also proves the point. Just the brand itself, having an association with it, is plenty cool and worthwhile.

Also, you know, the money that the dealership is giving him for ... you know, doing literally nothing to promote their dealership. Well, I guess there was that article written about it. So right there, done and done.

*with the local Lambo dealership in Austin.

I would be shocked if anyone in Sant'Agata Bolognese, Italy has ever heard of Bijan Robinson.
What's your point? Do you think the c-suite execs at McDonalds have any idea who any of their cashiers are? There are under 150 Lamborghini dealerships in the entire world and one of them has an arrangement with Bijan Robinson.

Does it make you feel better knowing the big guys probably don't know of him? Does that mean anything?

I think - could be wrong - that players with an NIL deal have to do something to "earn" the money. They have to provide some type of service or value. It's not supposed to be a free handout.

So, in this kid's example, maybe he goes down to the dealership after practice and hangs out, poses for pictures and signs autographs. the dealer gets to advertise "meet star RB today" and hopefully draws in some customers.

Now, how this works with the so-called "collectives," I have no idea.

I think - could be wrong - that players with an NIL deal have to do something to "earn" the money. They have to provide some type of service or value. It's not supposed to be a free handout.
I doubt they really have to do much of anything.

Sort've like a "no show" job.

So, in this kid's example, maybe he goes down to the dealership after practice and hangs out, poses for pictures and signs autographs. the dealer gets to advertise "meet star RB today" and hopefully draws in some customers.

Now, how this works with the so-called "collectives," I have no idea.
Getting a picture taken in the lambo is the service. It's like any other job. It's like any other endorsement, it's earned income simply by accepting it and holding up your end of whatever the bargain is.

What's your point? Do you think the c-suite execs at McDonalds have any idea who any of their cashiers are? There are under 150 Lamborghini dealerships in the entire world and one of them has an arrangement with Bijan Robinson.

Does it make you feel better knowing the big guys probably don't know of him? Does that mean anything?

Bob, they most likely now know exactly who Bijan Robinson is. Lamborghini is a very elite brand and to keep their brand valuable they undoubtedly have very specific advertising rules for their dealerships, because if the dealer draws any negative public opinion, it tarnishes the brand.

Advertising rules and NDAs are quite common.

You seem to be a tax guy, does he pay taxes like it is 1099 income? He would be looking at 45% in Minnesota, upper 30's in Texas. Sure hope he knows that.
oprah-you-get-a-car-gif-7.gif

Getting a picture taken in the lambo is the service.
Yes. That was it.

He showed up to the dealership, did a short photoshoot, gave some (probably coached and scripted) sound bytes to jounralists that showed up to the announcement, and that's that. He'll probably never do another thing for Lambo Austin.

Here's your six-figures of money, knock yourself out.

I think Morries needs to have NIL deal with a video of a Gopher player driving a Lambo into Huntington Bank Stadium. The U could also use it anytime the play the Rick Ross song. Maybe Morries would get most of the money from royalties...

You also technically have to pay taxes on any scholarship/stipend that isn't used for qualifying educational expenses.

What do the companies gain from these deals? How does paying Bijan make them money?
Have you seen how much free publicity this dealership has gotten from this single deal? And through this deal they very publicly align themselves with UT athletics/football in Austin and throughout Texas without having to create a more expensive official sponsor partnership. It's a great stroke of marketing on their part.

Have you seen how much free publicity this dealership has gotten from this single deal? And through this deal they very publicly align themselves with UT athletics/football in Austin and throughout Texas without having to create a more expensive official sponsor partnership. It's a great stroke of marketing on their part.
I wonder how much free publicity a lambo dealership needs / gets?

I knew a guy who sold ultra fancy cars, they didn't advertise...

I wonder how much free publicity a lambo dealership needs / gets?

I knew a guy who sold ultra fancy cars, they didn't advertise...
that's part of the thing that i think is ruffling feathers for people. no one who affords/buys Lambos is getting one because Bijan is there for an advert. The having people there for a meet and greet will not prompt anyone who was not going to buy one to buy one. At very best, you maybe are trying to convince yourself that one person from somewhere else in the state is going to order one custom through you that wouldn't have previously (I'm guessing there is no/next to no additional competition in Austin and you're hoping to draw someone to not go to Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio). The trying to translate kids instagram success (where they push cheap, many times less known products) they have as influencers is nowhere remotely the same as this, which is clearly we're giving you a stipend for playing at Texas.

^^ this is really just a part of the much bigger discussion on how much advertising works, if at all.

Of course ad people/depts are going to tell you it's necessary. That's their job.

that's part of the thing that i think is ruffling feathers for people. no one who affords/buys Lambos is getting one because Bijan is there for an advert. The having people there for a meet and greet will not prompt anyone who was not going to buy one to buy one. At very best, you maybe are trying to convince yourself that one person from somewhere else in the state is going to order one custom through you that wouldn't have previously (I'm guessing there is no/next to no additional competition in Austin and you're hoping to draw someone to not go to Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio). The trying to translate kids instagram success (where they push cheap, many times less known products) they have as influencers is nowhere remotely the same as this, which is clearly we're giving you a stipend for playing at Texas.

Again, connecting themselves directly to the football program throughout Texas and Austin is the objective. There are a lot of very wealthy UT boosters in Austin who instead of buying a Ferrari or other trophy car brand could opt for the Lambo because of the connection. And they did it for whatever it costs to write off one of their vehicles. If the promotion doesn't meet its intended result they won't do it again. The dealership can't lose here.

Top Bottom