Texas QB Competition

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
The Texas Longhorns have gotten a commitment from Arch Manning, the 5* No. 1 recruit (2023) in the nation with a rare 1.000 grade. There he joins Quinn Ewers, also a 5* No. 1 recruit (2021) in the nation who also received the rare 1.000 grade. They will battle incumbent QB Hudson Card, a mere high 4* who graded out at 0.9781.

It is said that Ewers got over $1M in NIL money. Manning turned down Alabama and Georgia, and almost guaranteed playing time at any number of SEC programs, to compete with another young QB rated 1.000. I wonder what Manning was offered in NIL money to make to assist him in making this decision?

He can always transfer, almost certainly one of them will.

Who knows, Ewers could certainly blow up this year like Joe Burrows did when he transfered to LSU. Ewers leaves early in the '24 draft and Arch can be eased in as the starter after sitting a year. Best case scenario!

However, you have Sark, an elite recruiter but a coaching failure, who can handle this situation poorly and they both end up gone by the end of '23!

It's going to be entertaining either way!

Manning is overhyped IMO, my guess is he will redshirt his first year

Oil money is doing really well these days. Another downside to the Russian/Ukraine conflict is the money for NIL it is giving Texas Alums.

The Texas Longhorns have gotten a commitment from Arch Manning, the 5* No. 1 recruit (2023) in the nation with a rare 1.000 grade. There he joins Quinn Ewers, also a 5* No. 1 recruit (2021) in the nation who also received the rare 1.000 grade. They will battle incumbent QB Hudson Card, a mere high 4* who graded out at 0.9781.

It is said that Ewers got over $1M in NIL money. Manning turned down Alabama and Georgia, and almost guaranteed playing time at any number of SEC programs, to compete with another young QB rated 1.000. I wonder what Manning was offered in NIL money to make to assist him in making this decision?
Would be interesting if Ewers ended up 3rd string, never plays then transfers to a G-5 school.

I think Ewers will pay 2 seasons before moving on and then Manning takes over for another two years. Hudson likely transfers after the 2022 season.
Yeah, the Hudson Card vs. Manning competition is going to be real.

With Ewers, I think he leaves after two more seasons (he's either Joe Burrow 2.0 or Casey Thompson 2.0).

Regarding NIL: there is no price too high for Texas boosters, to lift the Horns out of the dregs of college football mediocrity.
I don't think with Arch it was about NIL money. He would be able to pull NIL endorsements on a national level (if he wanted them) and I thought I read he just created a twitter to announce his decision.

I think that family likely picked what's best for his long term plans (in their opinion) and weren't going to be persuaded by the NIL money. They have the financial luxury to ignore the short term benefits.

But I could certainly be wrong.

I don't think with Arch it was about NIL money. He would be able to pull NIL endorsements on a national level (if he wanted them) and I thought I read he just created a twitter to announce his decision.

I think that family likely picked what's best for his long term plans (in their opinion) and weren't going to be persuaded by the NIL money. They have the financial luxury to ignore the short term benefits.

But I could certainly be wrong.
I think you're exactly right, regarding Arch.

What I was getting at, is the idea of $1M "wasted" on Ewers, if that turns out to be the case.

Texas boosters would simply say "I literally don't give a s__t how much $$$ it takes, so long as we win the natty again in my life. That will make me more happy than the money."

T Boone style

What I was getting at, is the idea of $1M "wasted" on Ewers, if that turns out to be the case.

Texas boosters would simply say "I literally don't give a s__t how much $$$ it takes, so long as we win the natty again in my life. That will make me more happy than the money."

T Boone style
Arch Manning already has national commercials, doesn't he? Nobody with money ever said they have enough. There is no way in my opinion that Arch isn't getting at least what the other guy got. Not that it's maybe the biggest factor in the decision but he ain't coming for free to a school with a lot of money to offer.

Arch Manning already has national commercials, doesn't he? Nobody with money ever said they have enough. There is no way in my opinion that Arch isn't getting at least what the other guy got. Not that it's maybe the biggest factor in the decision but he ain't coming for free to a school with a lot of money to offer.
No one said he went there with no financial ramifications. He comes from a very wealthy family. He would have got money anywhere he went.

T Boone style
I don't know what the threshold would be on NIL busts to slow down the big money ones, but I believe that will definitely happen.

Maybe nobody with money ever thought they had enough but they also never had to choose a college just for money. With Arch, money will be a secondary consideration, same as with Jaxon Howard.

Yes, a different level of money but the principle is the same.

Maybe nobody with money ever thought they had enough but they also never had to choose a college just for money. With Arch, money will be a secondary consideration, same as with Jaxon Howard.

Yes, a different level of money but the principle is the same.
Yup, same for the guys on the LIV Tour....money never influences decisions.

It is an interesting choice considering who’s there. Why Texas? Perhaps there is some bad blood between Ewers and Manning. As usual Gekko might have some insight.

Oh, I'm sure he got money.

My point was just that I don't think it was the deciding factor in where he was going to play college football. He has the luxury of playing the long game.

I got to watch Arch play 2 games on ESPN and he strikes me as the real deal.....his team was NOT that good....very limited athletically. He was the whole offense and was getting pressure constantly and never bitched like you might expect from the star QB. Just seemed to have the "it" factor. He can move too, much more like Grandpa Archie than uncles Eli and Peyton.

for some it does and others it does not. LIV is a great example. Rory could have said yes for 250 million. Nicklaus and Woods turned down enormous amounts just for their name. Spieth and Thomas have not said yes. I know many people that say they have enough.

Pro golfers are each a business franchise. Making Money is the primary objective of every business. College athletes have many other considerations.

I don't know what the threshold would be on NIL busts to slow down the big money ones, but I believe that will definitely happen.
If all the donations just go to a NIL collective, and so no particular dollar going to any particular player can any longer be "linked" to a specific donor, then there is no way for a donor to say "they wasted my donation!"

It just becomes exactly like payroll.

Every year the Vikings pay millions to some players who end up not doing jack squat. It will be very similar to that.

My guess

If all the donations just go to a NIL collective, and so no particular dollar going to any particular player can any longer be "linked" to a specific donor, then there is no way for a donor to say "they wasted my donation!"

It just becomes exactly like payroll.

Every year the Vikings pay millions to some players who end up not doing jack squat. It will be very similar to that.

My guess
Collectives will hasten the idea that it is money wasted IMO. Your payroll analogy is off as well. Vikings players are under contract.

Collectives will hasten the idea that it is money wasted IMO. Your payroll analogy is off as well. Vikings players are under contract.
There wouldn't be contracts between players and the NIL collective?

Why would collectives hasten the idea that the money is wasted? That seems backwards, to me. And I gave reasoning of why that would be true. What is your reasoning?

Pro golfers are each a business franchise. Making Money is the primary objective of every business. College athletes have many other considerations.

Oh I think business is a good example of how sometimes money becomes the primary objective and I suspect for many college athletes that's the same situation / plenty don't care about school and etc already ...

Ewers plays two years. Manning redshirts one. I don't think the narrative you're describing is accurate about competing with another young QB.

Top Bottom