Texas A&M Football Caught Paying 5 Star Recruits!

Winning a National Championship, I don't know if schools can stumble on the right mix of guys to accomplish it. Guys who were not all 4 and 5 stars. You can upset a higher rated team one time, but you have to be a coaching wizard to do it repetitively with inferior talent to win 15 in a row.

Bowling Green had a plan and beat Minnesota and so did Illinois. But Minnesotaa beat Wisconsin.
Coaching is important but I think to win conference or National championships in college football.....you gotta buy players. Basketball, you can go a long ways with one really extraordinary player. Not as impactful in football.

That in itself is no guarantee. A&M with it's recruiting classes still lost a few.

It starts with conferences...coaches do what they gotta do to put there team in position to win the conference. It was facilities, most everybody has that now. So it's jumped to paying guys to play for you.

Sid? What was the benefit post 1960 of having him involved in sports at the u.

at some point there's going to be some random school like Louisiana Monroe or Utah State that gets a rich and motivated alum to build a national title team

Jeff Bezos could pick any FBS school and make it win a natty in the next 5-6 years. If I were him I would pick UAB and kick the crap out of Bama for shutting down their program.
They didn't win a Natty, but this is basically what happened with the SMU Pony Express. Bunch of rich guys in oil boom Texas got tired of getting made fun of by their friends and colleagues who went to Texas, A&M, etc. So they bought a team.

Hey, if you can prove a team is cheating, then blow the whistle on them.

The irony here is that NIL was supposed to be separate from the school. NIL deals have to come through a business, and the school - in theory - cannot promise recruits NIL money as part of their recruitment.

So, if a school is doing that, and you can prove it, turn them in.

It's easy to accuse other schools of cheating. it provides a ready-made excuse for why "your" school isn't winning.

Hey, here's an idea. you want MN to get better recruits. go out and line up companies to make NIL deals and make sure the recruits hear about it. Sid used to talk about all the Fortune 500 companies in MN. I bet if he was still alive, he would be lobbying people to make NIL deals with players.

That's the point of setting up an LLC. It then is legally separate from the school itself.

Sid was living in the past 20-30 years ago. I think he truly believed that college football was a rah-rah lets go team thing that the community should support decades after that was the case. Sid thought there would always be the Harvey Mackay's of the world in town, and that's simply not at all the case.

I don't think many (if any) schools are putting that money back into academics or research which is what they're supposed to be there for.
Alabama is a place that has benefited from the success of Saban's run. There was an article a few years ago about how Alabama had a much larger number of applications, especially out of state kids. I don't recall if it lowered the acceptance rate, but it seems to have allowed U of A to raise it's academic profile. By no means are they to be confused with an Ivy or even Vanderbilt, but their academic profile has benefited.

Not directly related to your statement in terms of athletic revenue going towards academics, but one example of academics benefiting.

Alabama is a place that has benefited from the success of Saban's run. There was an article a few years ago about how Alabama had a much larger number of applications, especially out of state kids. I don't recall if it lowered the acceptance rate, but it seems to have allowed U of A to raise it's academic profile. By no means are they to be confused with an Ivy or even Vanderbilt, but their academic profile has benefited.

Not directly related to your statement in terms of athletic revenue going towards academics, but one example of academics benefiting.
I would be crazy to argue that there is absolutely no benefit. You don't see Germans walking around in University-branded clothing, for example. I just don't think the benefit is large when compared to the actual purpose of higher education. There's a reason that many of the best schools don't have scholarship sports.

As I have written before the pay to play in college sports has been practiced by some teams for many decades ; and not just the SEC.
These practices are now right out in the open.
Wait until sports betting on college sports starts to involve points shaving by payers and inside info about injuries from the trainers, all funded by bribes.
There is no going back and how things work out will be interesting.
Without subpoena powers the NCAA remains a paper tiger.

I think this statement is vastly overused. Have we seen actual evidence of this occurring, or is it just a bunch of hearsay? Common sense says if a program is cheating in a big way (under prior NCAA amateur rules) the paid players will eventually say as much, or extort, or turn in their former coaches and programs out of spite in at least a few cases. Young men are not known for keeping their mouths shut.

I’ve only ever heard of a hundred dollar bill here, a hundred dollar bill there, use of cars, academic “tutoring” and so on. I’ve never heard of 1M dollar handouts, or $50K, or anything close to that.

Go ahead.

I think this statement is vastly overused. Have we seen actual evidence of this occurring, or is it just a bunch of hearsay? Common sense says if a program is cheating in a big way (under prior NCAA amateur rules) the paid players will eventually say as much, or extort, or turn in their former coaches and programs out of spite in at least a few cases. Young men are not known for keeping their mouths shut.

I’ve only ever heard of a hundred dollar bill here, a hundred dollar bill there, use of cars, academic “tutoring” and so on. I’ve never heard of 1M dollar handouts, or $50K, or anything close to that.

Go ahead.
There have been payments to families and "advisors" particularly in basket ball.
$100,000 to Zion's family to play at Duke and the recorded phone calls by the FBI ,with Miller at AZ eg,, discussing payments of very large sums of money needed to get payers at AZ..
The list goes on.

There have been payments to families and "advisors" particularly in basket ball.
$100,000 to Zion's family to play at Duke and the recorded phone calls by the FBI ,with Miller at AZ eg,, discussing payments of very large sums of money needed to get payers at AZ..
The list goes on.
Ok, there’s two. Was this ever proven or adjudicated? I don’t follow basketball but understand Zion is a generational player and only 100K. How much money for an 85 player roster?

I would be crazy to argue that there is absolutely no benefit. You don't see Germans walking around in University-branded clothing, for example. I just don't think the benefit is large when compared to the actual purpose of higher education. There's a reason that many of the best schools don't have scholarship sports.
At the same time, many of the best schools do have scholarship sports.

would be interested to see the out of pocket cost per player is on the Harvard football team: it is probably closer to 0 than you think.

Sid? What was the benefit post 1960 of having him involved in sports at the u.

Sid did more to bring exposure to Gopher sports than any human ever and will probably hold that title for eternity.

Ok, there’s two. Was this ever proven or adjudicated? I don’t follow basketball but understand Zion is a generational player and only 100K. How much money for an 85 player roster?
You are entitled to your own opnion but not your own facts.
I have no desire to get into a pissing match with you over this.
Search the internet and prove your point or disprove mine..
I am done with this.

You are entitled to your own opnion but not your own facts.
I have no desire to get into a pissing match with you over this.
Search the internet and prove your point or disprove mine..
I am done with this.

I‘ve allowed for the two basketball cases, and I’ve heard of a a handful of other big $ arrangements.

OK, let’s apply the common sense rule. If “everyone has been getting paid off for decades” why do the compensation rules need to change?

Top Bottom