Tessa Johnson, will announce her college selection Wednesday morning.

Can’t blame her for wanting to play for the defending champions. Gophers have to get better to consistently get good players wanting to play for Minny that aren’t just Minnesotans. On to the next recruiting class. Go Gophers.

"Minnesota is the gift that keeps on giving," tweeted South Carolina head coach Dawn Staley,
I saw that too, I wasn't sure how to take it? Was it a dig at MN Gopher WBB or just a statement that MN puts out a lot of really good women's basketball players?

Last edited:

AP Top 25 is officially out. South Carolina was the unanimous No. 1 selection in the preseason AP Top 25. This is the third consecutive season the Gamecocks start as the top ranked team.

No surprise once you heard Dawn Staley was recruiting her, although you always hope. I was surprised that Baylor was in her top 3, isn’t that the administration that wanted Griener to stay closed for fear of losing future recruits, and the same university that hI’d sexual assaults? I agree, I like seeing Minnesota kids be successful except if they go to UConn or LSU, 2 coaches that I cannot listen to and like seeing get beat. Someday Gophers will get a Caitlin Clark type players who wants to stay home elevate the program. Who knows, maybe she is already on the roster.

Great players want to play for great coaches and compete on the biggest stage. Congrats to Ms. Johnson. It is ironic that Staley introduced Whalen at the HOF a few weeks ago.

I predict she will be missing her family and friends and transfer back in a year or two. Especially when she is riding the bench for the No 1 ranked team

I predict she will be missing her family and friends and transfer back in a year or two. Especially when she is riding the bench for the No 1 ranked team
This is a possibility.. Tessa is a top player, but might not have the foot speed to get significant minutes at SC, for sure as a freshman. Keep in mind SC has the best of the best in the country. I see her yearning for playing time and transfers home to MN to play with her old friends.
.. But great kid!

"Predictions"
As I recall, Jordan Barnes went to S. C. and found it was not a place where she wanted to live. A lot different from MN. Very interesting comments above.

Oops, forgot the quote
Barnes played one semester of basketball for the Eagles in South Carolina before she realized the fit wasn’t right for her and returned to Minnesota to start taking

Last edited:

I think Tessa is going to do wonderful things in South Carolina. Coach Dawn Staley does not make offers to girls that she doesn’t believe 100% in. Tessa is tough and strong, and I am looking forward to following her success there.

Top Bottom