Terms Presented by Notre Dame and Texas to the Big Ten

I don't see any problem with adding Texas or ND. The way the conference landscape seems to be shaking out, I would love for the Big Ten to add members that are actually national powers. Pitt? No way. Mizzou? I didn't even know they were decent until last year. Rutgers? They play football there? I had no idea. Texas and ND would bring a lot more to the conference than any of those teams. The Big Ten realizes that the younger generation isn't like most of these posters, they want the best teams, location doesn't matter.

Adding Texas to the B1g will only improve Mn as a football team. It would open up recruiting in Texas to the Gophers, witch might be the shot in the arm the program needs. If Texas came, they would likely be in the gophers division. It would be much easier selling texas recruits to come to Mn if we got to play Texas every year.

We already seem to recruit Florida pretty well, being able to recruit Texas well too would be great for this team.

Not Texas/ND, but sounds like Syracuse and Pitt have applied for membership in the ACC. I guess Baylor and ISU have already contacted the Big East about filling those spots. Would not be surprised to see Texas make their move very soon since the Big XII is all but dead should that go through.

I would guess you are going to hear that the Oklahoma schools have decided to join the Pac-12 shortly.

If you take athletics out of the equation, Texas is the perfect school for the Big Ten, similiar to Penn State. With athletics they are a home run.

Notre Dame is a different story, without athletics Notre Dame doesn't fit the Big Ten at all. Their inclusion is based on athletics.

Not Texas/ND, but sounds like Syracuse and Pitt have applied for membership in the ACC. I guess Baylor and ISU have already contacted the Big East about filling those spots. Would not be surprised to see Texas make their move very soon since the Big XII is all but dead should that go through.

THis announcement today is huge. I would expect at least ND to join the B1G soon, as the Big Least will either collapse or significantly downgrade, while teh ACC and SEC look to be going to 14 or 16 soon. The scramble is on! Yikes!

Notre Dame is a different story, without athletics Notre Dame doesn't fit the Big Ten at all. Their inclusion is based on athletics.

Notre Dame is a fantastic school, they just don't have the resources for the research that the Big Ten schools do. It's not like Notre Dame is a bad school.

I'd prefer no Texas. Keep the Big Ten contiguous and vaguely midwestern.

With PITT apparently off the table, The Pig Pen should just add ND, drop divisions altogether (since they've botched them anyway), and go with a #1 vs #2 championship game.

Unfortunately, I seem to recall reading that the division setup is an NCAA requirement for a conference championship game... then again, maybe I'm imagining that rule.

Notre Dame is a fantastic school, they just don't have the resources for the research that the Big Ten schools do. It's not like Notre Dame is a bad school.

It is a school about to make a major decision.

I vote no ND and please please please no Tx. Leave well enough alone.

I vote no ND and please please please no Tx. Leave well enough alone.

ain't gonna happen man. the B1G will jump at the chance for ND, and will likely make a move for TX. Big bucks and improves the brand, whether we like it or not. plus, they will have to add some quality teams for fear of getting stuck with left overs if there is a strong push for super conferences, which looks pretty much guaranteed with the moves tonight and those sure to follow with the BIg 12 and SEC. Tiem to face reality...ND and likely others are a comin'.

Wow.

Adding Texas and Notre Dame would utterly blow the Pac 12, ACC and SEC expansions completely out of the water! Those are two of the biggest brands in college football.

Pitt & Cuse are official to the ACC and I imagine it's only a matter of time before the SEC announces TA&M and West Virginia officially added. Then finally you have Oklahoma and OK St going to the Pac 12.

So then you have to wonder what happens to the Big East footbal conf and the Big XII.

I think Texas would rather have a TX centric league to store its nonfootball sports, so I think they'll try to add Texas schools to patch up the Big XII. Notre Dame I think is content to keep its independence and stay with the Catholic bball schools in the Big East.

But both of those going to the Big Ten is way more interesting! If there's any truth to this, the Big Ten will take both in a split second and figure out logistics later.

Orangebloods says Texas doesn't want to join the Big Ten:

"DeLoss Dodds has told people who matter that Texas does not want to go independent and does not want to go to the Big Ten. Dodds has said the growth in the United States is south, and the Big Ten is not in the south."

"DeLoss Dodds has told people who matter that Texas does not want to go independent and does not want to go to the Big Ten. Dodds has said the growth in the United States is south, and the Big Ten is not in the south."

Does this mean that if ND does not want to join the Big Ten it stays pat at 12, if ND joins then is it Rutgers or Missouri that is the 14th school to join the conference?

Does this mean that if ND does not want to join the Big Ten it stays pat at 12, if ND joins then is it Rutgers or Missouri that is the 14th school to join the conference?

THat would be my guess from everything I've read. And maybe Kansas as #14 if Mizzou and Rutgers are already gone.

Kansas might not be that bad. Contiguous with Nebraska, played Nebraska every year for many years (dare call it a rivalry?), best bball school Big Ten could add (though Notre Dame is close) and they're in the AAU (unlike Nebraska now).

But I see the SEC taking West Virginia, not Mizzou. So Mizzou would be available and Illinois I would think wants them?

Maybe if Big Ten goes to 16 and can get Notre Dame you add all four: ND, Rutgers, Mizzou and Kansas - and call it a day?

Kansas might not be that bad. Contiguous with Nebraska, played Nebraska every year for many years (dare call it a rivalry?), best bball school Big Ten could add (though Notre Dame is close) and they're in the AAU (unlike Nebraska now).

But I see the SEC taking West Virginia, not Mizzou. So Mizzou would be available and Illinois I would think wants them?

Maybe if Big Ten goes to 16 and can get Notre Dame you add all four: ND, Rutgers, Mizzou and Kansas - and call it a day?

Get Rutgers out of there imo and replace with UConn.

LOL. What growth?

LOL. What growth?

Probably means population growth. Pretty much all the big population growth is out west (Arizona, Wyoming, California, Colorado) or down south (North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia, Texas).

Probably means population growth. Pretty much all the big population growth is out west (Arizona, Wyoming, California, Colorado) or down south (North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia, Texas).

In the short term. Just wait until they run out of water. :eek:

Any "growth" in the USA, in terms of national marketshare (or much else, besides things like real estate development) is relatively insignificant. Dodds would know this. It's the real reason they don't want to align themselves with the SEC. And its why the ACC (a traditionally Southern conference) just grabbed a school in Upstate New York and Pittsburgh.

No one can make any $ on things that may (or may not) materialize in the lifetime of their great grandchildren.

ain't gonna happen man. the B1G will jump at the chance for ND, and will likely make a move for TX. Big bucks and improves the brand, whether we like it or not. plus, they will have to add some quality teams for fear of getting stuck with left overs if there is a strong push for super conferences, which looks pretty much guaranteed with the moves tonight and those sure to follow with the BIg 12 and SEC. Tiem to face reality...ND and likely others are a comin'.

Texas is going to the pac 12, once everything get final. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will be joining Texas in the pac 12.

Texas is going to the pac 12, once everything get final. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will be joining Texas in the pac 12.

While we're speculating:

I also think that's where Texas will land, along with Texas Tech. The SEC will add A&M and West Virginia.

There will be big changes with Norte Dame and Big East football. The Big East will have to align themselves with whoever is left in the Big 12. And ND will have to fortify its commitment to the conference for football somehow. I think the Big East will have 12 teams, West/East divisions and a conference championship. ND will no longer be independent, but they will absolutely own the East division of the new Big East.

The Big Ten will stay at 12 teams until all of that madness sorts itself out. A few years from now the Big Ten can always add a few teams from the ACC or the "new" Big East.

The entire article is built on using Google searches with the keywords 'college football'. While interesting, I usually do my searches with the school/nickname and sport (e.g. minnesota gopher football, or gopher football). I would expect most people do similar searches because 'college football' is too broad in scope to get a specific return.

This whole thing is getting nasty! Without Texas and Oklahoma there is really no need to add anyone just to add. ND is the obvious but they have to be up against the wall to join a conference. I feel like if we cant get Texas or Oklahoma then we should not even expand at all. Why should we add Missouri, Kansas, or the likes just to add a team. If we do all it does is 1) Dilute the product which means lesser pay for schools 2) doesnt add anything significant 3) and on just look at #2.

It is ND, Texas, Oklahoma or just stay the same. Since adding any of them is slim to none then I am happy with our conference right now. I feel we have the greatest tradition and conference in the Nation that no one can touch on. I am happy with who we have. ND, Texas, or Oklahoma or bust.

Top Bottom