Tens years of five and four star recruiting within the conference.

Reaction score
Outside of Ohio State (with 13 Five star recruits), it is almost meaningless to talk about the recruiting of five star recruits within the Big 10 Conference over the past ten years. OSU was followed by Michigan (4), Michigan State (2), Nebraska (2), Illinois (2) and Wisconsin (1). Half the teams in the Big 10 had no five star recruits and the Big 10 had about 8% of the total (assuming 30 five star recruits per year) of those available throughout the nation over the last decade.

Minnesota did have Hayo Carpentar but--as I asked earlier--if he's the Gopher's only five star recruit in the last thirty years, why would they want any more in the future? Also, one poster thought we should count Notre Dame five star recruits since Lou Holtz left Minnesota for Notre Dame and apparently took some good players with him his first year. If we gave Minnesota credit for Notre Dame's five star recruits over the past ten years, the Gophers would have had 10 (counting Hayo Carpentar).

Four star recruits (listed by school, 2002-2006, 2007-2011 and total) are as follows:
Michigan 53/47/100
Ohio State 37/53/90
Penn State 31/36/67
Nebraska 27/36/63
Michigan State 20/21/41
Illinois 14/20/34
Iowa 15/15/30
Wisconsin 10/14/24
Minnesota 3/13/16
Purdue 11/4/15
Northwestern 1/1/2
Indiana 0/1/1

It would be very good if Jerry Kill could sign two or three four star recruits each year. I'm also glad Minneota doesn't have to play Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State as often in the future. The Gophers should be able to compete with Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin on a regular basis starting within one to three years.

We'll be playing Michigan St. every year, guy.

I have begun to doiubt the allegience and sanity of Lonely.

Nice analysis LIG. Did your numbers come from Rivals, Scout, or ESPN? Scout seems to be much more stringent than Rivals or Espn when awarding stars.

Hayo Carpenter was a 4 star recruit per rivals, if you used scout for star rankings Brandon Owens was 5 star player and he was really good.

Hayo Carpenter was a 4 star recruit per rivals, if you used scout for star rankings Brandon Owens was 5 star player and he was really good.

Owen's did stand out...hate anyone losing their career to injury, but he truly stood out on the Gopher defense.

A number of those 4-star players never set foot on the campuses they committed to. A better analysis would be doing the same thing but eliminating players who did not qualify.

Nice analysis LIG. Did your numbers come from Rivals, Scout, or ESPN? Scout seems to be much more stringent than Rivals or Espn when awarding stars.

It has been my experience that ESPN and Scout are both consistently more stringent than Rivals. I know that some recruiting experts don't even give much value to Rivals (football or basketball.) Of course, at Minnesota, we're all about Rivals!!! :D

It has been my experience that ESPN and Scout are both consistently more stringent than Rivals. I know that some recruiting experts don't even give much value to Rivals (football or basketball.) Of course, at Minnesota, we're all about Rivals!!! :D

Scout may be more stringent stars wise, but they are usually 3 months behind.

Minnesota did have Hayo Carpentar but--as I asked earlier--if he's the Gopher's only five star recruit in the last thirty years, why would they want any more in the future?

I'm pretty sure Brandon Owens was a 5 star recruit from one service. But if you already did the lookback through all the classes from all the recruiting services then I'm guessing I'm wrong.

EDIT: I see ryanlee beat me to it.

Probably not from rivals, because the five star numbers are off, as are the 4 star numbers, using the rivals database.

The Gophers should be able to compete with Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin on a regular basis starting within one to three years.

No offense by this, but what makes you assume the MN will be able to compete with these three schools in on to three years? Because of how many 4 star recruits MN has?

My thoughts are that Minnesota has not been that far Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin in recruiting in recent years. The advantage Iowa and Wisconsin have had is their established systems for developing and deploying players. My assumption is that Jerry Kill will do a much better job than Gopher fans have seen heretofore of developing and deploying players. Unlike Mason, Kill will do so on the defensive side of the ball as well as with offensive schemes.

Nebraska isn't what it used to be. Iowa State beat Nebraska in 2009 on the road and lost to them last year in overtime. Bo Pellini is no Tom Osborne. Neither is he a Kirk Ferentz or Alvarez/Bielima. Finally, Wisconsin has been a real force in the Big 10 for years while finishing 7th or 8th in recruiting over the past decade. Minnesota can do the same, it they have the right coaching staff. Jerry Kill gives them a much better shot at doing so than the last four Gopher head coaches.

Top Bottom