Tennessee Vols reinstates arrested player

KyGopherfan

Reaction score
It's nice to see a school give a kid a second chance. I'm so glad we have AD like Maturi that thinks the U is so virtuous. :rolleyes:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/02/06/vols.williams.ap/index.html

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) --Tennessee junior center Brian Williams has been reinstated to the Volunteers after he was suspended for a Jan. 1 arrest.

Williams dressed for No. 14 Tennessee's home game against South Carolina on Saturday night.

The Bronx, N.Y., native was one of four Vols players disciplined for drug, gun and alcohol charges stemming from the traffic stop and has not participated in any team activity since the beginning of the year.

But will they reinstate Tyler Smith? This is kind of funny to me...It shows you how sour faced Maturi really is.

too bad we couldn't find a way too do this...we would be alot better off these days...insted we got 6'8 forward who doesn't feel "safe" on our campus anymore....

too bad we couldn't find a way too do this...we would be alot better off these days...insted we got 6'8 forward who doesn't feel "safe" on our campus anymore....

It is a joke...Maturi is so old school, I doubt he has even tried...I wonder if he even really cares...I think he believes that he is superman or something...He's so full of himself...He is actually a nice guy in real life...sorry to be random...Just a weak, self centered AD.

Just compare Maturi to Barry Alvarez in the revenue sports this year.

Footbal: UW #16 ranked in the country-final poll
UM 6-7

Basketball: UW currently #16 but will be around top ten Monday.
UM outside chance of making the dance.

Hockey : UW Currently #3 in the nation
UM a complete joke this year and might finish below .500

It is a joke...Maturi is so old school, I doubt he has even tried...I wonder if he even really cares...I think he believes that he is superman or something...He's so full of himself...He is actually a nice guy in real life...sorry to be random...Just a weak, self centered AD.

He really is old school. I'm not sure there's another team in any of the big power conferences that would've allowed Mbakwe and White, especially Mbakwe, to sit the whole season like he has.

And do we gain by letting players sit like that? Pundits on TV aren't running around glorifying Maturi and Tubby cause of a virtuous decision. We even got Reusse writing articles about how the team and Tubby sucks. No one is cutting us any slack due to 2 of the best players on the team not playing. Maturi should've just let them play and the let the chips fall. I can practically guarantee we'd be in the running for B10 title right now and no one would be whining.

Seeing as you're in Kentucky and all, figure this would be apropos:

BeatDeadHorse.gif

as I have been saying all week, Maturi needs to go. However, we also need a commitment from the Top of the University that they have a commitment to winning.
The administration needs to back it up with policies, programs, and curriculm to support that commitment. Short of that, even if maturi leaves, we will get more and more of the same. I had a Great discusssion with one of the assistant coaches from one of the top ACC schools today. He was in the west coast on a recruitng trip..I will have more to add later about my conversation.

I'm not sure there's another team in any of the big power conferences that would've allowed Mbakwe and White, especially Mbakwe, to sit the whole season like he has.

Really? Many schools didn't want anything to do with Royce White after he was expelled from DeLaSalle. What schools did we even beat out for him?

It's nice to see a school give a kid a second chance. I'm so glad we have AD like Maturi that thinks the U is so virtuous. :rolleyes:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/02/06/vols.williams.ap/index.html

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) --Tennessee junior center Brian Williams has been reinstated to the Volunteers after he was suspended for a Jan. 1 arrest.

Williams dressed for No. 14 Tennessee's home game against South Carolina on Saturday night.

The Bronx, N.Y., native was one of four Vols players disciplined for drug, gun and alcohol charges stemming from the traffic stop and has not participated in any team activity since the beginning of the year.

Mbakwe has a Felony charge that must be addressed first. This guy didn't.

I don't think anyone (here) has the full story on White.

Really? Many schools didn't want anything to do with Royce White after he was expelled from DeLaSalle. What schools did we even beat out for him?

Really? Lol. The kid had a serious list of offers from high majors.

Um...what?

White still had offers from tons of high major programs.

The effects of Clemgate will make this university more conservative than most for generations to come. We are still the poster child for academic fraud. Doesn't matter if it's fair or who did worse, we got caught and the evidence spoke for itself.

ak

The effects of Clemgate will make this university more conservative than most for generations to come. We are still the poster child for academic fraud. Doesn't matter if it's fair or who did worse, we got caught and the evidence spoke for itself.

I agree.

Let us not forget the "Mitch Lee" debacle. Now there was a power forward with some off-court issues!

Mbakwe has a Felony charge that must be addressed first. This guy didn't.

Maybe this guy didn't, but UCLA forward Nicola Dragovic is facing felony assault charges and awaiting trial. After a short suspension of 1 or 2 games, the school reinstated him - he pleaded not guilty to the charges and apparently UCLA follows the "innocent until proven guilty" philosophy which is the cornerstone to our legal system.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/26/sports/la-sp-dragovic-ucla26-2009nov26

Dragovic was also charged with a misdimeanor assault on his girlfriend last season, but the prosecutor in the case decided not to pursue it.

Maybe this guy didn't, but UCLA forward Nicola Dragovic is facing felony assault charges and awaiting trial. After a short suspension of 1 or 2 games, the school reinstated him - he pleaded not guilty to the charges and apparently UCLA follows the "innocent until proven guilty" philosophy which is the cornerstone to our legal system.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/26/sports/la-sp-dragovic-ucla26-2009nov26

Dragovic was also charged with a misdimeanor assault on his girlfriend last season, but the prosecutor in the case decided not to pursue it.

UCLA is 11-12 this season. Didn't seem to help much.

The maturi way is Guilty until proven innocent...........
RW and TM have had punitive suspensions that most other schools would have
allowed them to play. In RW's case, after his suspension of 5 games for the MOA
mistake.........This program (GOPHER ATHLETICS) is on a free fall downward spiral. When are the Maturi appoligists this board going to admit it? He holds players accountable for accusations, it is time we hold Mr Maturi accountable for actual results!........

mistake.........This program (GOPHER ATHLETICS) is on a free fall downward spiral. When are the Maturi appoligists this board going to admit it? He holds players accountable for accusations, it is time we hold Mr Maturi accountable for actual results!........

I think you mentioned that before somewhere.

Sounds like sour grapes from schools who had no chance of getting Royce.

+1000

Arkansas
Illinois
Iowa
Iowa State
Miami (FL)
Michigan State
USC
Wisconsin

Top Bottom