***Team Statistics - through 11/21***

Clyde Tester

Reaction score
Total Team Stats - including national ranking as of games 11/21/09 – the number in parenthesis is the ranking improvement/decline from the previous week (+ is improvement, - is worse). There are 120 teams included in the statistical rankings. As always, if you see any errors please let me know in this thread or via PM and I’ll make any necessary edits. All stats from http://www.cfbstats.com/. I’ll update again after next weekend’s games – the Gopher stats won’t change but the national/conference rankings could.

Note – I have added the following categories: Punt Returns, Kick Returns, 1st Downs, Sacks Allowed, 3rd down conversions allowed and Sacks.

One quick thought – it has been suggested that this year’s schedule is tougher than last so the stats are tough to compare. I agree with the sentiment but with a caveat. As the season comes to a close it seems clear that the Big Ten is down across the board. While this is highly subjective, the conference might be as poor overall as it has been in the last 25-30 years (I’m no Big Ten historian though so I’d be interested in thoughts from some who have been around longer than I have).

It’s worth noting that the Gophers broke through a couple of barriers this weekend – they dropped below 100 ypg in rushing offense and they dropped below 200 ypg in passing offense and below 300 ypg in total offense. They might be artificial barriers, but seeing numbers below the two seems worse than it otherwise would.

OFFENSE
Scoring Offense ---------21.6 ppg - #96 (-8) **** 2008 – 23.2 ppg - #83
Rushing Offense --------97 ypg - #109 (-2) **** 2008 – 103 ypg - #105
Passing Offense ---------198 ypg - #83 (-5) **** 2008 – 219 ypg - #55
Total Offense ------------395 ypg - #114 (-2) **** 2008 – 322 ypg - #91
3rd Down Conversions -----35% - #92 (-18) **** 2008 – 34% - #96
Time of Possession -----28:55 mpg - #93 (+2) **** 2008 – 30:00 mpg - #65
First Downs -------------- 15.5 per game - #113 **** 2008 – 16.5 per game - #102
Sacks Allowed ----------- 3.17 per game - #114 **** 2008 – 2.23 per game - #94

DEFENSE
Scoring Defense-----------24.6 ppg - #60 (+10) **** 2008 – 25 ppg - #61
Rushing Defense ----------146 ypg - #65 (+8) **** 2008 – 143 ypg - #68
Passing Defense -----------217 ypg - #62 (+9) **** 2008 – 240 ypg - #94
Total Defense --------------392 ypg - #64 (+15) **** 2008 – 384 ypg - #81
3rd down conv allowed – 44.5% - #101 (+10) **** 2008 – 39% - #61
Sacks ------------------------1.67 per game - #66 **** 2008 2.54 per game - #23

MISC
Penalty Yardage -------55.8 ypg - #70 (+2) **** 2008 – 53.5 ypg - #76
Punt Returns -----------13.2 ypr - #22 **** 2008 – 9.94 ypr - #45
Kick Returns ------------23 ypr - #41 **** 2008 – 23.5 ypr - #21

BIG TEN CONFERENCE (including conference games only

OFFENSE
Scoring Offense ------22.4 ppg - #7 (-3) **** 2008 - 17 ppg - #10
Rushing Offense ------97.13 ypg - #11 (-2) **** 2008 – 78 ypg - #11
Passing Offense ------198.1 ypg - #8 (-1) **** 2008 – 204 ypg - #6
Total Offense ---------295 ypg - #11 (nc) **** 2008 – 282 ypg - #11
Time of Possession ---28:43 mpg - #8 (+2) **** 2008 – 29:07 mpg - #7
First Downs ----------- 15.8 per game - #11 **** 2008 – 14.8 per game - #11
Sacks Allowed --------3.5 per game - #11 **** 2008 – 2.63 per game - #10

DEFENSE
Scoring Defense -----26.8 ppg - #7 (+1) **** 2008 – 26.3 ppg - #8
Rushing Defense ----150 ypg - #7 (nc) **** 2008 – 165 ypg -#8
Passing Defense -----235 ypg - #9 (+1) **** 2008 – 225 ypg - #9
Total Defense --------385 ypg - #7 (+2) **** 2008 – 390 ypg - #9
3rd down conv allowed – 49% - #10 **** 2008 – 39% - #8
Sacks -------------------1.5 per game - #10 **** 2008 3.0 per game - #1

MISC
Penalties ----------57.4 ypg - #9 (+2) **** 2008 – 56.5 ypg - #10
Punt Returns ----16.2 ypr - #1 **** 2008 – 8.9 ypr - #7
Kick Returns -----22.9 ypr - #5 **** 2008 – 21.7 ypr - #4

Other than our offensive passing numbers, it looks like we are either generally equal (within 10-15 of our previous national ranking) or improved as a team overall (even with a more difficult schedule).

Thanks for posting these stats, I'm sure it takes you some time.

Also, thanks for not editorializing and letting each of us draw our own opinions from the numbers.

You, sir, are a good poster.

Rah!

I'll pull out some stats that caught my eye:

OFFENSE
Sacks Allowed ----------- 3.17 per game - #114 **** 2008 – 2.23 per game - #94

DEFENSE
Passing Defense -----------217 ypg - #62 **** 2008 – 240 ypg - #94
3rd down conv allowed –---- 44.5% - #101 **** 2008 – 39% - #61
Sacks -------------------1.67 per game - #66 **** 2008 2.54 per game - #23

MISC
Punt Returns -----------13.2 ypr - #22 **** 2008 – 9.94 ypr - #45
Kick Returns ------------23 ypr - #41 **** 2008 – 23.5 ypr - #21

BIG TEN CONFERENCE (including conference games only

OFFENSE
Sacks Allowed --------3.5 per game - #11 **** 2008 – 2.63 per game - #10

DEFENSE
3rd down conv allowed – 49% - #10 **** 2008 – 39% - #8
Sacks ----------------1.5 per game - #10 **** 2008 3.0 per game - #1

MISC
Punt Returns ----16.2 ypr - #1 **** 2008 – 8.9 ypr - #7
Kick Returns -----22.9 ypr - #5 **** 2008 – 21.7 ypr - #4

My thoughts:

Sacks allowed - gave up almost an additional sack per game so you'd have to assume that this means there was exponentially more pressure on non-sack plays as well. It's no wonder the offensive production continued to be poor given this evidence that the QB was under pressure significantly more than last year.

3rd down conversions allowed - went from being a middle of the road team to near the bottom. I think you can look at the sacks stat below for a reason why.

Sacks - I had no idea the Gophs were 1st in the Big Ten last year at 3.0 sacks per game - that was cut in HALF this season. Any ideas as to why? It certainly doesn't seem like the Gophers are blitzing less - are they? There has been a lot of talk about how the defense is improving - but this stat that got significantly worse, along with all the other stats that are roughly in the same neighborhood, and that progress is hard to detect using objective measures. Subjectively it's easy to say that we appear more athletic and faster, but we aren't yet seeing that kind of improvement appear in the stats.

Punt Returns - the punt return game is significantly better this season (as has been speculated by many here).

Kick Returns - I think that many thought that kick returns this year had improved as well but the stats look generally the same as last season. I was surprised by that.

Thanks for posting these stats, I'm sure it takes you some time.

Also, thanks for not editorializing and letting each of us draw our own opinions from the numbers.

You, sir, are a good poster.

Rah!

Thanks. I'm can't help myself from commenting once the discussion is underway, but I'm posting the stats without an agenda. Stats don't always tell the whole story but they certainly provide a baseline of understanding about how well the team might compare to opponents or others in the conference at any point in time. They can also shed some light on not-so-obvious successes (e.g. punt returns this year) or hidden problems (e.g. sacks given up).

I started doing this mid-season and will try to continue to do so through the bowl game this year and then next year assuming I'm still hanging around this place.. ;)

I'll pull out some stats that caught my eye:

My thoughts:

Sacks allowed - gave up almost an additional sack per game so you'd have to assume that this means there was exponentially more pressure on non-sack plays as well. It's no wonder the offensive production continued to be poor given this evidence that the QB was under pressure significantly more than last year.

3rd down conversions allowed - went from being a middle of the road team to near the bottom. I think you can look at the sacks stat below for a reason why.

Sacks - I had no idea the Gophs were 1st in the Big Ten last year at 3.0 sacks per game - that was cut in HALF this season. Any ideas as to why? It certainly doesn't seem like the Gophers are blitzing less - are they? There has been a lot of talk about how the defense is improving - but this stat that got significantly worse, along with all the other stats that are roughly in the same neighborhood, and that progress is hard to detect using objective measures. Subjectively it's easy to say that we appear more athletic and faster, but we aren't yet seeing that kind of improvement appear in the stats.

Punt Returns - the punt return game is significantly better this season (as has been speculated by many here).

Kick Returns - I think that many thought that kick returns this year had improved as well but the stats look generally the same as last season. I was surprised by that.

Clyde...may have been WVDS who graduated last year, was the leader of the sack pack and had all BT #'s in the sack stat.

Clyde...may have been WVDS who graduated last year, was the leader of the sack pack and had all BT #'s in the sack stat.

Good point - I hate to think that one guy can be that much of a difference maker but at the same time that's a good thing - it means that we could get another stud in the lineup sooner than later to have that kind of impact! One can only hope. :eek:

With Roof last year, the defense blitzed far more if my memory serves me. Especially early in the year when healthy. I think they racked up quite a few of those sacks early in the season.

Lack of sacks, thus pressure on the QB this year, may be partly responsible for the increase in 3rd down conversions allowed too. However, I was pleased with our defense overall this year.

NCAA stats are worse - see their web site: Gophers 114th in total offense through 12 games. Worse in some other categories, too (of 120 D1A teams).

I thought our offense had really declined from last year. Unless I'm reading the Big Ten numbers wrong it doesn't appear we did. How can that be, we looked terrible this year? Maybe Fisch didn't take as big a step back as I thought. I'm going to have to reconsider all my thoughts on this offense now.

I thought our offense had really declined from last year. Unless I'm reading the Big Ten numbers wrong it doesn't appear we did. How can that be, we looked terrible this year? Maybe Fisch didn't take as big a step back as I thought. I'm going to have to reconsider all my thoughts on this offense now.

I think a lot of people are the same way, they assume the offense is vastly worse than last year, but it really wasn't. Of course, it was far more inconsistent, with great moments, and really, really bad moments, but the offense this year was not just a product of the switch, it stunk last year, and it stunk this year. Whether it's the line, the RBs, the QBs, the WRs, whatever. The production hasn't been there the last two years.

It is hard to decline from 11th in a 11 team conference.

Total Offense ---------295 ypg - #11 (nc) **** 2008 – 282 ypg - #11

I think a lot of people are the same way, they assume the offense is vastly worse than last year, but it really wasn't. Of course, it was far more inconsistent, with great moments, and really, really bad moments, but the offense this year was not just a product of the switch, it stunk last year, and it stunk this year. Whether it's the line, the RBs, the QBs, the WRs, whatever. The production hasn't been there the last two years.

What is scary is the change in schemes though. If our philosophy has changed to a running game, then rushing for under 100 yards a game is absolutely pitiful. We brought in Tim Davis to improve our running game. We brought in a FB to improve our running game. We brought in new talent (Whaley) to improve our running game. We got a RB back from injury (Bennett) to improve our running game. We got Weber out of the shotgun to improve our running game. Yet the rushing numbers go down??

What is scary is the change in schemes though. If our philosophy has changed to a running game, then rushing for under 100 yards a game is absolutely pitiful. We brought in Tim Davis to improve our running game. We brought in a FB to improve our running game. We brought in new talent (Whaley) to improve our running game. We got a RB back from injury (Bennett) to improve our running game. We got Weber out of the shotgun to improve our running game. Yet the rushing numbers go down??

I always try to look at the B10 stats when comparing if I can. It's more apples to apples. From that perspective the rushing game improved quite a bit, although still not good.

Top Bottom