Team/Coaching Philosophy

station19

Reaction score
I realize it was only one game but with Al out(it looks like for the rest of the year) the team had a very different look. Devoe seems to add more offense than Al but less defense. Without Al we have less depth.

Observations:

a. Almost zero full court press-which we are known for.
b. Better half-court offense-for most of the game.
c. Basically a 6 man rotation with 1 player at 33 min and 3 players with 36 min.

Will this be the style the rest of the year or just one game?

The press is very tiring... Devoe played all 20 minutes in the second half against MSU. According to Tubby, Devoe is in great shape, but if fatigue wasn't an issue without the press, it definitely would be with it.

If Cobbs is ready to go we may press a bit, but with the rotation we played Saturday, we couldn't really press much.

Even if it means they're tired at the end of the game, I like that Tubby shortened the rotation signficantly in the second half vs. MSU. Especially with how short-handed we are, play your best players. Live or die with 'em. Don't play guys just for the sake of playing them.

My guess is that the added offensive benefit will help against the less talented teams and will hurt the Gophs against the more athletic teams like Mich State and Purdue.

Cobbs is really going to have to step up and play more minutes.

Top Bottom