Teague To Build BB AND FB Practice Facility At Same Time

GoGophers2005

Reaction score
I can't believe no one has posted this info yet on this board. Doogie tweeted it and FBT has already broken down the potential locations for new FB facility.
A true game changer if true. The sleeping giant has awakened?

Still very preliminary but I think it's a good sign that Teague is being so public with grand plans. Now is time to see if he can back it up with some money. :) In any case, I like that he has a bolder vision than Maturi did.

Interesting comments below the article. I agree with the sentiment that a big battle in the next decade will be between the Athletic Department and the Academic Departments regarding the space/development around TCF Bank Stadium. I hope Teague can win that battle!

If Jerry Kill can turn this thing around in the next few years in my opinion he will be a master at selling a football practice facility and get it.

I can't believe no one has posted this info yet on this board. Doogie tweeted it and FBT has already broken down the potential locations for new FB facility.
A true game changer if true. The sleeping giant has awakened?

Yeah... and VCU built a basketball practice facility. :rolleyes:

I hope Teague decides to pursue two new practice facilities at the same time. IMO, this would be easier to sell prospective donors and who knows maybe the facilities are back to back. Asking for 40 million dollars for two facilities at the same time makes more sense than asking for money separately and it probably promotes unity within the men's athletic department.

I don't follow basketball as closely, so maybe this has been answered already. Why not convert the sports pavilion into the basketball practice facility since its attached to Williams and then build something new for volleyball, wrestling, etc?

I don't follow basketball as closely, so maybe this has been answered already. Why not convert the sports pavilion into the basketball practice facility since its attached to Williams and then build something new for volleyball, wrestling, etc?

Couple of potential reasons:
1) May cost too much compared to building new to get the same quality outcome (renovations aren't cheap a lot of the time).
2) Ties the fate of the facility to The Barn (i.e. can't tear down Williams once this happens). If they are still unsure about what to do with The Barn but are ready to get moving on the PF then that's a problem.
3) Renovation may not allow them to deliver a facility that is as good as a new build.

Interesting comments below the article. I agree with the sentiment that a big battle in the next decade will be between the Athletic Department and the Academic Departments regarding the space/development around TCF Bank Stadium. I hope Teague can win that battle!

The land around the stadium is reserved already. According to the East Campus Gateway report: In 2008, authorization by the Minnesota
State Legislature of bonding for the Biomedical Science Research Facilities Program has committed the University of Minnesota to the construction of four additional research buildings over the next five years.

Maybe they could construct something between Oak and Huron. There is space available there.

The land around the stadium is reserved already. According to the East Campus Gateway report: In 2008, authorization by the Minnesota
State Legislature of bonding for the Biomedical Science Research Facilities Program has committed the University of Minnesota to the construction of four additional research buildings over the next five years.

Maybe they could construct something between Oak and Huron. There is space available there.

Given that the EDG plan (see page 5 for one of several images) shows at least 18 new buildings across the EGD area I don't see this particular provision being a showstopper. There is more than enough room in other portions of the EDG land to get 4 buildings up.

That said, I could certainly see the Regents or other folks at the U putting up a huge stink/set of roadblocks to any FB PF plans that steal research space that has been a long term goal of many U stakeholders on the academic side.

In the end I think a PF by TCF is too big a dream. Still a fun one to ponder though.

Was watching BTN and saw a commercial mentioning this: http://expandtheirexperience.com/

If the U were able to show the benefit something like this would have on both academics and athletics do you think they would look into adding this in one of the two new facilities?

If the U were able to show the benefit something like this would have on both academics and athletics do you think they would look into adding this in one of the two new facilities?

Teague will likely be making this sort of argument. When he spoke at Carlson on Tuesday, he was reported as having given several examples of the value some of the prominent athletics achievements (like the Final 4 appearance) had for VCU as a school. http://www.fringebowlteamblog.com/blog/glory-thy-name-teague

Top Bottom