Teague Hired

oleboy41

Reaction score
Supposedly official now. Commence to celebrate/wring your hands

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
If so

Supposedly official now. Commence to celebrate/wring your hands

Can he bring his basketball coach with him. Would be nice to play in the NCAA tournament instead of the NIT. That and he would not blame not having a practice facillity as the excuse.
Nebraska has nice facillities for basketball and they still blow.

Gold Vision

Reaction score
Can he bring his basketball coach with him. Would be nice to play in the NCAA tournament instead of the NIT. That and he would not blame not having a practice facillity as the excuse.

So many parts of this post could be picked apart.

howieramone

Reaction score

Keep watching! Tubby will have them dancing the next 3 years. I hope I'm wrong, but I would guess Kill and staff will be the target of the lunatic fringe after each loss this season. Rebuilding is a dirty word on fanboards. Hope the Gopher Faithful can keep control of this board better than we did on the basketball side of the house last season.

beavergopher

Reaction score
I would imagine Smart feels somewhat let down after he showed some loyalty to his boss the past two seasons and now the boss ditches him. Such is the nature of the business.

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
He may feel let down, but can you blame Teague for leaving? If someone came in and told you "We're going to put you in a position where you're managing four times your current budget, will rub elbows on a more regular basis with the most powerful men in your field, and will make more than two times your current salary", would you turn it down? I'm sure Shaka understands.

station19

Reaction score
I would imagine Smart feels somewhat let down after he showed some loyalty to his boss the past two seasons and now the boss ditches him. Such is the nature of the business.

People do change jobs in the real world.

Parski1

Banned
Reaction score
Per Grandpa Sports.....

@SidHartman
Norwood Teague told U AD search committee today he turned down opportunities at Miami, UConn, alma mater UNC because he wanted Big Ten job.

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score

I can see this some.

However, a college basketball coaching job is far more "generic" than an AD job. What I mean is that there are far, far, more competitive programs in basketball than let's say football. A basketball job at VCU versus one at a BCS school is not that far down the totem pole. Part of it is personnel. You need 3 pretty good players to make a NCAA run. Recruit well and you can make a run at any DI program quickly.

As for being an AD (or a college football coach), the step up to the BCS is a big one. Teague's move is a big leap for him, professionally. A move by Smart would be not so much.

However, loyalty is loyalty. Maybe Smart is our next coach...

victor04

Reaction score
Its pretty pathetic that people are taking shots at Teague like they know the in and outs of the situation he is coming from.

I wouldn't be surprised that his departure is mainly due to those who were above him at VCU not making a commitment to getting the football program going, or due to the back and forth wavering towards the A-10 on VCU's part, and if this was the case, im sure the brass were very aware of Teauge's frustrations. But ya know, keep making snide remarks based off no factual info, I guess that what some of the faithful do around here.

station19

Reaction score
Its pretty pathetic that people are taking shots at Teague like they know the in and outs of the situation he is coming from.

I wouldn't be surprised that his departure is mainly due to those who were above him at VCU not making a commitment to getting the football program going, or due to the back and forth wavering towards the A-10 on VCU's part, and if this was the case, im sure the brass were very aware of Teauge's frustrations. But ya know, keep making snide remarks based off no factual info, I guess that what some of the faithful do around here.

But you have to admit they are pretty good at it.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score

For the 100th time, practice facilities are so common now and getting one at the U will probably not give us an advantage. It will allow us to keep up with everyone else in that department.

Edit: Good hire by the way!

It's a Pig Man!

Reaction score

For the 100th time, practice facilities are so common now and getting one at the U will probably not give us an advantage. It will allow us to keep up with everyone else in that department.

Not to mention Nebraska's practice facility was just built. Change isn't immediate.

Monty519

Reaction score

That, and Nebraska literally just got theirs, so yeah, they probably haven't reaped any benefits from it. Bet you TIm Miles is hyped it's there though.

GoodasGold

Reaction score
Per Grandpa Sports.....

@SidHartman
Norwood Teague told U AD search committee today he turned down opportunities at Miami, UConn, alma mater UNC because he wanted Big Ten job.

Coming tomorrow: "Kaler, Maturi like Teague".

Formo

Sections 109 and 114
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I'm curious as to wren's reaction to this is. Had the opportunity to chat it up with him at the Spring Game tailgate GopherLady put on and I don't recall his name coming up in conversation.

That said, I like the hire so far.

Big Ten Mind

Reaction score
This guy seems legit but I wouldn't expect miracles (especially in football) with Mich. tOSU, NE, etc. continuing to sink resoursces in to their programs...time will tell

zambam

Reaction score
Interview on BTN right now, for those that don't know. Just said he chose Minnesota because he had a gut feeling.

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Also talked about liking being in a metro market.

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Darren Rovell Tweet:

darren rovell ‏ @darrenrovell Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Best small program AD in the country RT @BTNTomDienhart Norwood Teague expected to be named U of Minnesota athletics director

DrunkGopher

Reaction score
hahaha love the comment about how Shaka being born in Madison is a problem

Gopher Bandanna Guy

Irascible Skeptic
Reaction score
Exciting times to be a Gopher fan, at least from the perspective of postitivity and hope. Love that Teague's gut brought him here over a few other big schools. I'm kinda hoping Teague can have a "bald-off" with Alvarez and Jim Delaney during the Big Ten meetings one year. Our guy wins, hands down!

For those of you truly love the Gophers, but have never been a donor - hear Teague's plan out, and then maybe crack open the wallet if you think its what is needed to take our athletic program to the next level. Doesn't have to be a mega donation, but little amount helps somewhere to get things rolling for additional facilities, updates, and the future of our beloved Maroon and Gold.
And no, I don't work for the U. But I do believe in putting my money where my mouth is.

howieramone

Reaction score

+1

GopherInPittsburgh

Reaction score
Exciting times to be a Gopher fan, at least from the perspective of postitivity and hope. Love that Teague's gut brought him here over a few other big schools. I'm kinda hoping Teague can have a "bald-off" with Alvarez and Jim Delaney during the Big Ten meetings one year. Our guy wins, hands down!

For those of you truly love the Gophers, but have never been a donor - hear Teague's plan out, and then maybe crack open the wallet if you think its what is needed to take our athletic program to the next level. Doesn't have to be a mega donation, but little amount helps somewhere to get things rolling for additional facilities, updates, and the future of our beloved Maroon and Gold.
And no, I don't work for the U. But I do believe in putting my money where my mouth is.

I agree. I have a work-study position at the U with donations (not athletics, sadly) but I can tell you first hand that every little bit helps. We get plenty of small value gifts, but it all adds up.

calminnfan

Reaction score
Since he seems to excel at fundraising, I suspect that helps the practice facilites, baseball field and I think there was something else needed for the football team as well.

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
Since he seems to excel at fundraising, I suspect that helps the practice facilites, baseball field and I think there was something else needed for the football team as well.

Baseball field is basically done I think (though there was a rumor that they were short the money for lights). Football team wants improvements for practice facilities (either a replacement for RW or a bubble that can cover the outdoor field I think).

Reaction score
Boys, we just replaced Joel Maturi. We should be bowing to our knees with: " We're not worthy " chants for Norwood. You can bet watching the lady rowing team in the double sculls will not be on his agenda.

matt

Let's get weird
Reaction score
Boys, we just replaced Joel Maturi. We should be bowing to our knees with: " We're not worthy " chants for Norwood. You can bet watching the lady rowing team in the double sculls will not be on his agenda.

Well Norwood, you're not following Vince Lombardi here...

Top Bottom