TDG's Gopher Football NFL Draft: Which Current Gophers Are Potential NFL Draftees

Killjoy

Reaction score
I probably like many of you, really enjoy the NFL Draft. I read mock drafts starting in about October and follow the smoke screens, workouts, combines and everything that comes with the event. As two former Gophers await their professional employers today, I wonder which names on the current roster may be hearing their name called on a future draft night.

Lists are always fun and can generate a lot of conversation and debate. Of course being a homer is going to lead me to think more highly of some current Gophers than NFL executives may feel but maybe after they read this they'll dig a bit deeper. My list is not in any particular order...here are a handful of names that I suspect will be called by the commissioner in the coming years.

(my caveat. This is not a projection of who will be drafted. Rather it is my guess at guys with the best chance to be drafted)

To read GopherNation’s full analysis click on the link below.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2014/...draft-which-current-gophers-are-potential-nfl

By By GopherNation

I probably like many of you, really enjoy the NFL Draft. I read mock drafts starting in about October and follow the smoke screens, workouts, combines and everything that comes with the event. As two former Gophers await their professional employers today, I wonder which names on the current roster may be hearing their name called on a future draft night.

Lists are always fun and can generate a lot of conversation and debate. Of course being a homer is going to lead me to think more highly of some current Gophers than NFL executives may feel but maybe after they read this they'll dig a bit deeper. My list is not in any particular order...here are a handful of names that I suspect will be called by the commissioner in the coming years.

(my caveat. This is not a projection of who will be drafted. Rather it is my guess at guys with the best chance to be drafted)

To read GopherNation’s full analysis click on the link below.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2014/...draft-which-current-gophers-are-potential-nfl

1. Devondre Campbell. Kill has said he has as much potential as Rashede
2. Theiren Cockran. Second team all big ten with 2 more years left
3. Eric Murray. Scouts have noticed him when watching Shede and Brock
4. Maxx.

No one else has a realistic chance at this point at least.

I'd go Maxx first. Then Murray Wilson and Campbell all for varying reasons having a good shot.

Murray if he continues his ascent, he could really be a great CB and in a pass-happy league that'll get you a shot.

Wilson has the size and speed. Another breakout year could get him a mid to late round flier in the near future.

Campbell is 100% off his size and measurables not so much his productivity thus far. The guy has the frame and speed. NFL scouts love that stuff. If he can put together the tackling and production on the field, some one takes a shot.

Two guys I think could find themselves drafted if they play well this year are Cedric Thompson and Derrick Wells. Hopefully Wells is healthy this year.

Two guys I think could find themselves drafted if they play well this year are Cedric Thompson and Derrick Wells. Hopefully Wells is healthy this year.

I would add Wilson to that list.

Names I would add:
Lincoln Plsek
Derrick Wells
Peter Mortell
Damarius Travis
Cedric Thompson

Names I would add:
Lincoln Plsek
Derrick Wells
Peter Mortell
Damarius Travis
Cedric Thompson
May be I missed, it but I did not see Lauer on the list and I think he has a good chance. Until he got hurt I thought Christenson had a chance, but he may be too smart to do it.

Only having two drafted is going to be a down year going forward. This isn't the Gophers you know anymore. They are MY Gophers!

We have a QB who is just going to be a Sophomore and he has a big arm. By the time he is a senior...

A B1G Championship.
A Rose Bowl victory.
Drafted.

My ranking as far as NFL potential goes something like this:

1. Eric Murray, potential 1st or 2nd day pick
2. Maxx Williams, 3rd-ish round if he continues to develop, maybe higher. Not an athletic freak like most TE's are that are taken high nowadays
3. Connor Mayes, this could be ambitious but as long as he develops I think he'll be an outstanding interior lineman
4. TC, 2nd or 3rd day pick as a pass rusher, needs to get stronger
5. Jeff Jones, like Mayes will have to develop but he's a highly rated recruit for a reason. Lack of speed will limit his ceiling though
6. Damien Wilson, 3rd day pick as a 2-down downhill LB, haven't seen much in coverage from him
7. Campion, 3rd day pick will be a guard in the NFL IMO
8. Campbell, more so because of measurables than actual production right now.

After that it's hard to tell.

I expect nobody is thinking about this guy but he if continues to improve his accuracy Ryan Santoso is a definite possibility. He has got the leg. You can hear the difference when he kicks.

Top Bottom