TDG' Minnesota Gopher Football 2014 Spring Practice: Who Will be the Backup QB?

Definitely in interesting read and it will be a lot of fun to see how it all shakes out in the spring because like the story points out the backup role could go any number of ways. Of course the problem with all of this is that it is really hard to gauge what you have in a player, especially a QB until they can play in actual game situations. A guy could look great in practice but it is a lot easier to be comfortable without a screaming crowd yelling at you, your coach standing next to you giving you the play, and of course facing a defense that can't touch you.

I will be shocked if anyone other than Leidner is the starter for game 1 next year.

I will be shocked if Leidner is still starting by game 10.

Ehhhh, a little early for these discussions yet, sports fans.

Definitely in interesting read and it will be a lot of fun to see how it all shakes out in the spring because like the story points out the backup role could go any number of ways. Of course the problem with all of this is that it is really hard to gauge what you have in a player, especially a QB until they can play in actual game situations. A guy could look great in practice but it is a lot easier to be comfortable without a screaming crowd yelling at you, your coach standing next to you giving you the play, and of course facing a defense that can't touch you.

I will be shocked if anyone other than Leidner is the starter for game 1 next year.

I remember when Abdul-Kaliq was just in his first or second year here. Mason and the media used to say how awesome he looked in practice. But at when the lights came on, he got flustered a lot and made a lot of mistakes. Travis Cole was his backup. And I don't know why, but Mason told some people that he looked terrible in practice.

Anyway, they kept going back and forth on playing time, but Travis Cole was the one that beat Ohio State.

What I mean to say is, its good to have more than one QB that you can count on, and I hope that our young backups are ready to play if something happens physically or mentally to our starter.

Sent from my MUCH i5 using Tapatalk

I remember when Abdul-Kaliq was just in his first or second year here. Mason and the media used to say how awesome he looked in practice. But at when the lights came on, he got flustered a lot and made a lot of mistakes. Travis Cole was his backup. And I don't know why, but Mason told some people that he looked terrible in practice.

Anyway, they kept going back and forth on playing time, but Travis Cole was the one that beat Ohio State.

What I mean to say is, its good to have more than one QB that you can count on, and I hope that our young backups are ready to play if something happens physically or mentally to our starter.

Sent from my MUCH i5 using Tapatalk

I also remember when AAK signed and a poster here stated that he would be competing for the Heisman with Tapeh.

Top Bottom