TCU Players Busted in Drug Ring

If it does turn out that most of the football team failed the drug test you can bet there will be a job opening in TCU very soon. I don't care how much success a guy has if the number really is as high as mentioned in the story or in Badger's comment it will get very ugly down there.

The scary thing about this is that Patterson is Kill's budy and someone that Kill says he wants to emulate in terms of a program. I'm sure that will change now. It will be interesting to hear how Coach Kill reacts to these charges.

The scary thing about this is that Patterson is Kill's budy and someone that Kill says he wants to emulate in terms of a program. I'm sure that will change now. It will be interesting to hear how Coach Kill reacts to these charges.

Had the exact same thought regarding Kill.

I would find a spot for Patterson on our coaching staff. Happily

Drug use happens. College kids sell drugs. I had some roommates who wanted to sell drugs when I was at the U. I informed them I would turn them in if they did so. I bet they appreciate it now. These were smart guys, Chem E, Carlson and Mech E. Later I mocked them for getting suckered by Amway. The bottom line is they want to make money and drugs seemed like an easy way to make money. That probably what happened at TCU. Drug use is pretty pervasive on college campuses. Young people don't think about the potential consequences.

So I'm going to assume the comparisons will no longer happen.

Count me among the people who think that smoking weed is no worse than drinking. The obvious issue, of course, is that it is illegal.

I guess I'm just not ready to judge a coach because a group of college kids (we DO NOT know how many) chose to smoke weed. This is one of those occasions where a coach just simply can't babysit his kids at all times. How would he have any way of knowing? Let's take off our judgy pants when it comes to Patterson.

Count me among the people who think that smoking weed is no worse than drinking. The obvious issue, of course, is that it is illegal.

I guess I'm just not ready to judge a coach because a group of college kids (we DO NOT know how many) chose to smoke weed. This is one of those occasions where a coach just simply can't babysit his kids at all times. How would he have any way of knowing? Let's take off our judgy pants when it comes to Patterson.

What if the investigation finds that the kids who did test positive for smoking weed (which I don't really have a problem with either) bought their drugs from the arrested players or knew what was happening does that change your opinion?

While it might not be all on Patterson, the first one to take the fall for a scandal is the head coach no matter how many wins he's earned.

The players arrested are facing felony possesion with intent to distribute. Big time trouble. The rest of the team who flunked the drug test? Stick a fork in TCU, the party's over.

If it is weed that's a joke of a charge, kids are going to try things in college. The dealers are in deep though, trafficking charges would be serious.

If it is weed that's a joke of a charge, kids are going to try things in college. The dealers are in deep though, trafficking charges would be serious.

While I agree with you on the weed comment. If you are an athlete you know you might get tested so it is your own fault if you end up getting busted. Every year you hear about a few guys that get busted for breaking team rules, my guess would be that most of these involve weed or something along those lines. However in this case if it does come out that 2/3 of the entire roster flunked a drug test that will spell very bad things for the coaching staff and the program. I agree that it is unfair to expect a coach to babysit their players and there are always going to be a few bad apples that get busted doing stuff like this.

Having said that when players are dealing and the majority of the squad (allegedly) is failing drug tests that is something the coaching staff has to figure out a way to control. This is the type of stuff coaches get fired for, right or wrong.

I think Kill should be fired, now.

Seriously, it was Patterson that called for the drug testing. It was one of the four, Horn, that said 82 guys would fail. The four have been kicked off the team and kicked out of school. It may get worse, it may not.

4 out of 100 is pretty good (if that's the right word) in a society where 20% of people are basically feral. We'll see.

What if the investigation finds that the kids who did test positive for smoking weed (which I don't really have a problem with either) bought their drugs from the arrested players or knew what was happening does that change your opinion?

While it might not be all on Patterson, the first one to take the fall for a scandal is the head coach no matter how many wins he's earned.

It would change my opinion if it was proven that Patterson knew what was happening. I will reserve judgment until I know whether that is the case.

My take has nothing to do with wins and losses. A losing coach has just as much knowledge of his players' lives outside of football as a winning coach. I know Patterson will probably take the fall for this, but that doesn't mean he is to blame. Right now, I just don't know.

I think Kill should be fired, now.

Seriously, it was Patterson that called for the drug testing. It was one of the four, Horn, that said 82 guys would fail. The four have been kicked off the team and kicked out of school. It may get worse, it may not.

4 out of 100 is pretty good (if that's the right word) in a society where 20% of people are basically feral. We'll see.

I can't say I agree with you there...

I can't say I agree with you there...

Sarcasm. I love the guy. I was making a veiled response to the "guilt by association" posts by Son of a Badger and CDH. It's no longer veiled.

Sarcasm. I love the guy. I was making a veiled response to the "guilt by association" posts by Son of a Badger and CDH. It's no longer veiled.

I thought it was that, or you accidentally put his name in instead of Gary P. (continue on with the sarcasm i.e. we probably should already fire our future AD for his role in this!)

That was not my point. I think Kill is a great coach and is in no way associated. I was just saying it's unfortunate that Kill will have to answer questions about one of his best friends and we no longer want to be an exact replica of TCU.

While I agree with you on the weed comment. If you are an athlete you know you might get tested so it is your own fault if you end up getting busted. Every year you hear about a few guys that get busted for breaking team rules, my guess would be that most of these involve weed or something along those lines. However in this case if it does come out that 2/3 of the entire roster flunked a drug test that will spell very bad things for the coaching staff and the program. I agree that it is unfair to expect a coach to babysit their players and there are always going to be a few bad apples that get busted doing stuff like this.

Having said that when players are dealing and the majority of the squad (allegedly) is failing drug tests that is something the coaching staff has to figure out a way to control. This is the type of stuff coaches get fired for, right or wrong.

Oh no doubt, "unspecified violation of team rules" happens all the time in college ball. They have to be smart enough to know what is and what isn't tested, its their responsibility. Kids will be kids and try things, discipline should be proportional to the crime though. I just hate seeing 18-19 kids getting the book thrown at them for smoking a joint when a normal kid in a dorm would get community service or a letter in their file about the matter. These guys are already in the spotlight seeing how big of a stage college football is, they don't need any more scrutiny then they already get. But since they are "high profile" students they are going to get more severe punishments sometimes because the administration doesn't want to look like they are playing favorites.

In a parallel universe if marijuana/alcohol were both legal I would almost as a coach prefer players to pick the former over the later for casual consumption. (IF ANYTHING) Purely because I have never seen a...
1. Player causing damage or getting suspended for driving while high.
2. Domestic or other violence cases while high.
3. Player committing theft or another violent crime while high.
And if Michael Phelps can smoke and still set world records and win gold medals, I'm not concerned about lung function either.

Thankfully (for TCU) it looks like only a handful of their players "failed" the drug test, so its not a pandemic in Fort Worth, but definitely should raise some eyebrows.

Q: What do you call twelve Badger fans standing in a circle?

A: A Dope Ring.

Update - SIAP

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story...rs-tested-positive-marijuana-according-report

Despite a former TCU player claiming that drug use was widespread on the team, only five players tested positive for marijuana in a Feb. 1 test, a source told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Thursday.

Another 11 players had trace amounts of marijuana in their systems, a quantity that is within the margin of error for the test, the newspaper reported. Marijuana was the only drug detected, and 86 players tested clean, according to the report.

In response to the allegation of widespread drug use, TCU cornerback Kolby Griffin posted a tweet on his personal account Wednesday that read, "This rumor about 82 of us failing a drug test is false completely false."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story...rs-tested-positive-marijuana-according-report

Despite a former TCU player claiming that drug use was widespread on the team, only five players tested positive for marijuana in a Feb. 1 test, a source told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Thursday.

Another 11 players had trace amounts of marijuana in their systems, a quantity that is within the margin of error for the test, the newspaper reported. Marijuana was the only drug detected, and 86 players tested clean, according to the report.

In response to the allegation of widespread drug use, TCU cornerback Kolby Griffin posted a tweet on his personal account Wednesday that read, "This rumor about 82 of us failing a drug test is false completely false."

Maybe everyone shouldn't jump to conclusions about sensational stories that rely solely on one person's word for their authenticity.

Signed,

The Duke Lacrosse Players

Maybe everyone shouldn't jump to conclusions about sensational stories that rely solely on one person's word for their authenticity.

Signed,

The Duke Lacrosse Players

Don't think anyone was jumping to a lot of conclusions. It is a message board where you discuss the stories as they develop. The initial reports were ugly, thankfully it now looks like a fairly minor incident. For my part my thought all along was that if it turned out to be true the staff was toast, as it is now it is a black eye for them but probably not a major setback outside of losing the players that were dealing and disciplining the guys that failed the test.

The tcu player that said 60+ guys would fail the drug test != Jose canseco

This is big news down here in ft worth. Stunning to have trouble there like this. No one is immune unfortunately.

GM

Don't think anyone was jumping to a lot of conclusions. It is a message board where you discuss the stories as they develop. The initial reports were ugly, thankfully it now looks like a fairly minor incident. For my part my thought all along was that if it turned out to be true the staff was toast, as it is now it is a black eye for them but probably not a major setback outside of losing the players that were dealing and disciplining the guys that failed the test.

A quote from the above thread: "stick a fork in TCU" because "the party's over." That seems like a conclusion to me. Maybe I read it wrong, however.

Over the top responses are a national epidemic. Look around at the comments on various publications/websites that reported the story and you will see the same type of reaction from all sorts of posters. I honestly don't know why people feel it necessary to immediately go on the record about how terrible someone/some institution is before hearing the whole story.

It is this reason why the "court of public opinion" has no bearing on actual trials: the jury in the court of public opinion is comprised of reactionary idiots.

Top Bottom