TCU No. 1 in Way-Too-Early Top 25 (#1 TCU vs. #25 Gophers)

GopherLady

Reaction score
Love that the post game coverage is still on for the NC game...but ESPN is ready to hype the next season!

25. Minnesota Golden Gophers
2014 record: 8-5, 5-3 Big Ten

Returning starters: 7 offense, 7 defense, 2 special teams

Key personnel losses: RB David Cobb, TE Maxx Williams, C Tommy Olson, G Zac Epping, DE Michael Amaefula, DT Cam Botticelli, LB Damien Wilson, S Cedric Thompson

Why they might finish higher: The Gophers continue to make strides under coach Jerry Kill, who guided them to an 8-5 record and their first New Year's Day bowl game in 52 years in 2014. There are some key pieces to replace on offense and defense this season, but the bulk of the two-deep depth chart is coming back.

Why they might finish lower: The Gophers are losing Cobb and Williams, their top two weapons on offense. Williams, who caught 36 passes for 569 yards with eight touchdowns, is entering the NFL draft after his sophomore season. Cobb ran for 1,626 yards and 13 touchdowns, and the Gophers will have a difficult time replacing his production. Quarterback Mitch Leidner played better in a 33-17 loss to Missouri in the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl, but he has to continue to improve as a passer. The Gophers were too one-dimensional on offense this past season.

Full story and video --> http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12138345/tcu-leads-2015-way-too-early-top-25-rankings

Ohio State #2. Makes sense....

If TCU returned 7-8 starters on D I would have zero problem with them being #1 but they lose 6 extremely productive players. OSU does lose some pretty good players too but with Elliott and the QBs they should be able to overcome that.

In the postseason AP, the Gophers are #34. I doubt we'll be 9 spots higher in August. TCU in the Top 3 seems like a certainty.

#1/#2 TCU vs. #25 Minnesota to open the season in Minneapolis..........sounds like a perfect mix for an early season ESPN game day visit to me. Hello, ESPN? ESPN? Are you there? Hello? ;)

I can't imagine TCU leaps OSU in the rankings, but would be absolutely shocked - barring a big injury or scandal of course - to see TCU ranked below #3 heading into next season. We get a great chance right off the bat to show we can compete with the best.

That Thursday night game will be a big one; while I'd love for it to be a national broadcast, my guess is ESPN will have UNC-South Carolina from Charlotte as their big game that night. Hopefully we could get on ESPN2, or at worst FOX/FS1, but I'm not sure about our contract with those networks and how it relates to weekday games...it honestly might end up on BTN.

#1/#2 TCU vs. #25 Minnesota to open the season in Minneapolis..........sounds like a perfect mix for an early season ESPN game day visit to me. Hello, ESPN? ESPN? Are you there? Hello? ;)

I don't think game day broadcasts on Thursdays.

I don't think game day broadcasts on Thursdays.

True, but a man can have his dreams damnit. I would definitely lose my sh!t if it were to happen.

Like Texas A&M this year by beating South Carolina, I expect we will jump to the top 10 after beating TCU in week #1.

Based on these rankings: Here is who the Big Ten Plays

Minnesota: TCU #1
Northwestern: Stanford, Duke
Iowa: Iowa St., Pittsburgh
Illinois: North Carolina
Nebraska: BYU, Miami
Purdue: Virginia Tech, Marshall
Wisconsin: Alabama #10

Ohio St.: Virginia Tech
Michigan: Utah #22, Oregon St, BYU
Indiana: Wake Forest
Maryland: West Virginia
Penn St: ZERO Big 5 Games
Rutgers: Washington, Kansas
Michigan St: Oregon #5

Like Texas A&M this year by beating South Carolina, I expect we will jump to the top 10 after beating TCU in week #1.

Now that's whay I'm talking about. I like this guy's take. Ski-U-Mah! :D

Based on these rankings: Here is who the Big Ten Plays

Minnesota: TCU #1
Northwestern: Stanford, Duke
Iowa: Iowa St., Pittsburgh
Illinois: North Carolina
Nebraska: BYU, Miami
Purdue: Virginia Tech, Marshall
Wisconsin: Alabama #10

Ohio St.: Virginia Tech
Michigan: Utah #22, Oregon St, BYU
Indiana: Wake Forest