TCU is Sonny Dykes’ 14th football job at his 10th school, including high school. He was 1-11 at Cal in 2013. He was 5-7 at SMU in 2018.

Even a blind squirrel might find an acorn. Dykes might have another natty in him because even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

What I learned from watching the games last night is winning a Natty is hard.

Ohio State and Michigan both had great years, with SEC being "down". Both teams had proper matchups in the semi's with teams they could beat. Both fall short, and both feel like they should have won.

All of that talent. All of the right things that have to happen along the way to get there, and you still come up a game short.

Really remarkable.

The TCU / Michigan game to me is an example of how even if you are the better team, if you're not on your A game, and your opponent is, it doesn't matter how much more talent you have. The game can be lost.

Play games 12 weeks out of 13 consecutive weeks, it's surprising we had as many 1 loss and 0 loss teams as we did this season.

it's interesting how he's got deep roots at both Texas Tech and SMU. it would be like the Gophers just saying, "screw it, we're hiring Bret Bielema"

Gary Patterson built it Sonny got to drive it.
GP might indeed have built the car, but he then fell asleep at the wheel for the last several miles.

His record at TCU the last few years:
2018 7-6
2019 5-7
2020 6-4 (covid)
2021 3-5 -- fired after 8th game, Jerry Kill takes over as interim and goes 2-2 in last four games

So unless you're telling me that Dykes won big this year with a bunch of seniors that Patterson recruited as high level recruits after his 11-3 year in 2017 ... then I don't think you can really say that.

7 TCU players left the program after the 2021 season, and Dykes brought in 14 new players from the portal for 22.

No idea how many of those were significant contributors for this year.

But I mean, Max Duggan was there and started most of the games the last three seasons too.

Sometimes it really can be a weird thing of right place, right time.

GP might indeed have built the car, but he then fell asleep at the wheel for the last several miles.

His record at TCU the last few years:
2018 7-6
2019 5-7
2020 6-4 (covid)
2021 3-5 -- fired after 8th game, Jerry Kill takes over as interim and goes 2-2 in last four games

So unless you're telling me that Dykes won big this year with a bunch of seniors that Patterson recruited as high level recruits after his 11-3 year in 2017 ... then I don't think you can really say that.
Wait a minute, I know Jer gets credit for all of Fleck’s wins, but maybe we should give him Sonny’s too!

I think certain years it all comes together and you catch lightning in a bottle. 2019 was probably our year for that, you win that Iowa game and don't get stomped by Wisconsin and all of a sudden you're in the CFP with a chip, a chair, and a chance. We absolutely had the talent to hang with anyone that year and we beat an Auburn team that we would have no business beating in other years.

It also shows how important it is to stay healthy. OSU lost 3 skill position guys (and 2 that will be first rounders) plus their te, Michigan loses corum and their te goes down in the 1st, Bama imploded with injuries last year. It takes all the cards to fall right each year as many have said

I think certain years it all comes together and you catch lightning in a bottle. 2019 was probably our year for that, you win that Iowa game and don't get stomped by Wisconsin and all of a sudden you're in the CFP with a chip, a chair, and a chance. We absolutely had the talent to hang with anyone that year and we beat an Auburn team that we would have no business beating in other years.
Even in 2019 we needed 3 close victories in the non-conference, all that could have been losses, to get us to the number of wins we got. No doubt by the end of the season we were a great team, but like you said sometimes things just need to go your way. I think this year we didn't win some games we probably should have (Purdue and Iowa), whereas in 2019 things fell our way.

Look at the Vikings. Last year they lost most of their 1-score games and this year they win all of them. The 2 teams probably aren't that different but they are going to have very different records at the end of the season.

Did any of you ever see the past game stats of Duggan during the Jerry years? It was leidner like. They obviously mis used duggan

There is always hope when a bad school like TCU can win. Though you might get the death penalty in a few years.

Has the past few years taken the teeth out of the NCAA?
We will find out the answer to this question when Minnesota is vying for or wins substantial hardware.

UNC being exposed for issues over and over again... slap on the wrist. Oh, Minnesota did something? DEATH PENALTY.

Michigan State, Washington, Cincinnati, and TCU have made the CFP since 2014. None of those are helmet programs.

And Iowa and Wisc have both made the top 6 in final rankings (Iowa the year they lost to Mich St).

Where was TCU in the first Top 25 poll of the season? Odds of Sonny having his team in National Championship Game had to be huge?

Top Bottom