TCF Bank Stadium fallout (Good)

GOFUR

Section 238 - Row 4
Reaction score
I know of two people who attended the game last week as guests of current season ticket holders. Both called me on Monday to tell me they had a blast and that they wanted to get on the waiting list for season tickets next year. A total of 6 tickets.

I referred them to the ticket office phone number and they are now on board. Both are Gopher fans in their early 30's and would be a welcome addition to the tailgate and TCF scene.

Makes you wonder how many others will be joining them as a result of attending a game at TCF.

have they started a waitlist now (for next year if people drop)??

I had the same thing happen. 2 friends that came with are getting on the wait list. It is a whole different beast than before and the event that college football can be is starting to sink in.

I had a similar experience. My boss has an uncle who is a Cal season ticket holder. He bought tickets for my boss and his whole family. My boss told me this week "That was the most fun I've ever had at a football game. Way better than any Vikings game I've been to. I wish I would have ordered season tickets." I gave him the info for the ticket office. Hopefully he's on the list now as well.

The stadium and game day experience will win over an entire new generation of fans. The only thing that would derail it in upcoming years would be a return to Wacker-like winning percentages.

I've already posted my feelings... Even Saturday's game was the most fun I have ever had at a Gopher loss. People have been lulled to sleep with the empty blue seats. Face it, in the dome Viking football was just more fun for joe public. We finally have a REAL college gameday atmosphere.

Once people start finding out how much fun this is ... look out.

I'm envisioning laptops on the grass just outside the stadium, frisbees and footballs flying, hacky acrobats, full bars during games, patios full after and before. Money pouring into the micro economy like never before, a total transformation. Kids who grow up wondering, "what's a metrodome?". Maroon and gold everywhere even on non game days. It's just going to be such a beautiful thing.

Agreed--Gopher football = Awesome experience!

I hadn't been to a Viking's game in probably 15 years--a friend of mine got tickets to a Bears game last year so I went. I'll never go back. I've never seen so many drunk, fat, frustated ex high school football players wearing Viking jerseys dropping F bombs left and right wanting to fight every guy that was wearing a Bears jersey. I was embarrased for my friend's 14 year-old son who had to witness this.

I've had season tickets for Gopher football for 4 years now and this year is so much more enjoyable now that we are in TCF and back on campus.

Can't wait for the Badger game!

Agreed--Gopher football = Awesome experience!

I hadn't been to a Viking's game in probably 15 years--a friend of mine got tickets to a Bears game last year so I went. I'll never go back. I've never see so many drunk, fat, frustated ex high school football players wearing Viking jerseys dropping F bombs left and right wanting to fight every guy that was wearing a Bears jersey. I was embarrased for my friend's 14 year-old son who had to witness this.

I've had season tickets for Gopher football for 4 years now and this year is so much more enjoyable now that we are in TCF and back on campus.

Can't wait for the Badger game!

My 13 yr. old wants to go to a Vikings game. This is why I won't take him to a game, your not the only one I have heard talk about a bad experience with drunken fans at a Vikings game when fans bring their kids. I have season tickets to TCF and my son attended the game against Air Force with me and he had an awesome time as did I. He will have way more fun and enjoy the experience more at TCF than at any Vikings game. I probably would not have gotten season tickets this year if it weren't for the experiences I had as a kid at memorial stadium watching outdoor gopher football with my buddies, I wanted to experience that again and I have not been disappointed!

Yeah, 2 of my good friends went to the opener. They never have been to a Gopher fb game before. Only tons of hockey games. Safe to say, they thought it was pretty sweet with the game and tailgating. Sounds like they will be tailgating for the MN/WI game with us just to take part in the activities as they can't attend the game.

I have been getting into many discussions with co-workers who have noticed how sweet the stadium and atmosphere appears on TV. It's 10 times better in person! Many are searching for tickets for the next 2 home games.

It is a whole different beast than before and the event that college football can be is starting to sink in.

Great quote. I've been trying to tell people around here for years that there is more to college football than turning on ESPN at 10:45am and watchiing t.v. for a few hours. IT IS AN EVENT! Sometimes an all day event.

have they started a waitlist now (for next year if people drop)??

I called to get on the waiting list(again) last week and the ticket office told me that there would be no wait list until they did an evaluation after the season.

I called to get on the waiting list(again) last week and the ticket office told me that there would be no wait list until they did an evaluation after the season.

Why wouldn't they start and keep a waiting list? That seems really short sighted.

Yes. That is a bummer. As anyone in sales would tell you... you don't ever want to tell a buying customer they are going to have to come back later.

I wonder if they are waiting because they didn't think it through far enough to build a waiting list that requires a down payment (more $$$)? So, if they just start a list they may lose the opportunity to charge prospective waiting list members. Just thinking out loud.

Yes. That is a bummer. As anyone in sales would tell you... you don't ever want to tell a buying customer they are going to have to come back later.

I wonder if they are waiting because they didn't think it through far enough to build a waiting list that requires a down payment (more $$$)? So, if they just start a list they may lose the opportunity to charge prospective waiting list members. Just thinking out loud.

I would think you would want to want to keep track of everybody who wants tickets. If it gets to the point where you can charge to be on the list it wouldn't be hard to charge people who are already on the list the going rate. Personally I wouldn't think it would take that much to point where could charge to be on the waiting list. Even if it is just 20 bucks or so. The bigger question to me is do you charge per ticket people intent to purchase or per spot on the list.

I also think it firms up the committment for people who want to get on the list. A non-refundable deposit makes them put a little skin in the game and makes it harder to say "just kidding" when it finally comes time for them to step up to the plate.

The alternative is just to send them away and hope their interest is high enough for them to pay attention to when they can actually get on the list and then pick up the phone a second time, like they are doing now... not a great idea imho.

To confirm, one of the two guys who called the ticket office did tell me that the ticket office advised that they had not yet started a waiting list. Rather, they took his name and would be in contact with him. I agree, why not start the list now?

They never asked for my name to call me back. I added on to the wait list last year and I think it was only a $10 deposit.

To confirm, one of the two guys who called the ticket office did tell me that the ticket office advised that they had not yet started a waiting list. Rather, they took his name and would be in contact with him. I agree, why not start the list now?

What I'm hearing is that they're not sure if they're getting rid of GopherPoints, which is actually sort of a department within the ticket office ranks. Apparently the GopherPoints were a huge burden on the ticket office. Not sure how seat selection next year is going to work then. I think the other thing to consider is there are people like me who want to buy 4 seats next year instead of 2. What if everyone wants more tickets next year because the economy has improved or because of demand or whatever. I suppose in a way it is smart to gather as much information regarding the demand and institute a policy that best fits that. However I wish they were at least adding names to last year's list.

If we get to the point of looking at adding a section of seats to the upper deck, I'm assuming that is were the waiting list will be important. Any thoughts on if we'd add just one section at a time, like 10,000 seats? If yes, would the start right next to the suites and swing around the end-zone? Or start a section on the prime 50-yard line?

Why invest so much time and money in Gopher points only to drop it?

Gathering the points from all sources must be the hardest part about maintaining them. But it sure seems worth it as a way of being fair to all fans. It also seems like it would be a revenue generator by getting donations from new sources.

Why invest so much time and money in Gopher points only to drop it?

because.....WE ARE.....PENN...I mean MINNESOTA.

We're back on campus, but that doesn't fix ineptitude in the Athletic Department and marketing of the program.

Top Bottom