TCF and Ticket Price

GVBadger

Reaction score
TCF Bank Stadium is a great facility. When you are walking towards the stadium from the west and you get to the Tennis complex etc. and the stadium comes into view, it is a great sight. The University did a tremendous job with the facilities down there. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better group of athletic facilities anywhere in the country in such a concentrated area. It is a stadium that everyone should be rightfully proud off and I think the U did a great job with it. I look forward to my trip there every other year. When I think back to how that area looked 25 years ago, the transformation has been very impressive.

The one thing I don't understand is the $70 ticket price. I understand wanting to get as much money from the Badgers fans that you possibly can, but I think in the long run it is a short sighted policy as it really makes it hard to convince any Gophers fans to buy a single game ticket with them priced like that. Do the season ticket holders have to pay that price as well or is there some kind of discount? It seems to me that the $70 price is giving up rather then trying to do everything possible to get your own fans into the stadium.

I saw Badgers and Gophers fans in groups all over the campus on Saturday without one incident. I always find it interesting to read accounts of boorish behavior or things of the like. Maybe I am never in the right spot. When I was at Campus Pizza, multiple mixed groups of fans and came in and everyone seemed to be getting along fine. Maybe it is message boards that bring out the worst in people, who knows?

It is a great game day experience down there and I honestly wished more people wanted to enjoy it. College football is a great game.

Season tickets are $275 and up depending on where you want to sit, so it works out to just under $40/game for us.

TCF Bank Stadium is a great facility. When you are walking towards the stadium from the west and you get to the Tennis complex etc. and the stadium comes into view, it is a great sight. The University did a tremendous job with the facilities down there. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better group of athletic facilities anywhere in the country in such a concentrated area. It is a stadium that everyone should be rightfully proud off and I think the U did a great job with it. I look forward to my trip there every other year. When I think back to how that area looked 25 years ago, the transformation has been very impressive.

The one thing I don't understand is the $70 ticket price. I understand wanting to get as much money from the Badgers fans that you possibly can, but I think in the long run it is a short sighted policy as it really makes it hard to convince any Gophers fans to buy a single game ticket with them priced like that. Do the season ticket holders have to pay that price as well or is there some kind of discount? It seems to me that the $70 price is giving up rather then trying to do everything possible to get your own fans into the stadium.

I saw Badgers and Gophers fans in groups all over the campus on Saturday without one incident. I always find it interesting to read accounts of boorish behavior or things of the like. Maybe I am never in the right spot. When I was at Campus Pizza, multiple mixed groups of fans and came in and everyone seemed to be getting along fine. Maybe it is message boards that bring out the worst in people, who knows?

It is a great game day experience down there and I honestly wished more people wanted to enjoy it. College football is a great game.

yawn........you again? what is with your obsessive compulsive fascination with GH? and speaking of boorish.........that would describe most of your flamer posts/threads on GH. :D

The season ticket price is $275, so ST holders pay $40 per game. They always inflate face for the WI and Iowa games (and I think for the Neb game this season too) while any other B1G game is always $50 face. Non-cons range from $30-$50 based on quality of opponent I think.

yawn........you again? what is with your obsessive compulsive fascination with GH? and speaking of boorish.........that would describe most of your flamer posts/threads on GH. :D

I've lived here for 95% of my life. The Gophers are impossible not to follow if you pay attention to the local sports scene. I don't treat football as life and death. Gopher Hole is an extremely entertaining board. Sue me.

The season ticket price is $275, so ST holders pay $40 per game. They always inflate face for the WI and Iowa games (and I think for the Neb game this season too) while any other B1G game is always $50 face. Non-cons range from $30-$50 based on quality of opponent I think.

This year's face value for tickets:

New Mexico St & Miami: $35
North Dakota State & Illinois: $50
Nebraska, Iowa & Wisconsin: $70

Next year I don't see any $70 games, nor nonconference $50 games.

The disadvantage of suing you would be that I would probably have to be in the same room as you. It would be sort of like having dog feces stuck to your shoe all day.

I do agree with GVBadger that the Badger fans were pretty docile. The group around us were all Badger fans who relocated to Minnesota for a variety of reasons. I think not serving the " hair of the dog" during the game makes a big difference. I think another reason the fans were subdued
was the Penn State fiasco. Both Badger and Gopher fans were talking about it in our section. With Maturi seemingly on the way out I look for a different marketing concept from the new AD. Look for a huge push at selling tickets to the many Fortune 500 companies here in Minnesota at a discounted rate. You will see "Employee Game Day" for companies like 3M, General Mills, etc. Also look for some marketing concepts that parallel the Minnesota Twins. Of course, winning is the cure all for keeping the Badger and Hawkeye fans to their 3,000 ticket minimum for visiting fans. The New AD is reallygoing to have to kick it in gear next year year as the home schedule does not include Iowa, Wisconsin,or Nebraska. With the home non-conference schedule you could be looking at 10,000 empty seats per game if a marketing plan in isn't in place. Selling tickets at the State Fair just isn't going to cut it.

I have sat in the same seats and I have never missed a game in TCF Bank Stadium. Over all those games, I have had very little to notice in the line of boorish behavior. I've had one young drunk dude vomit a few seats down from me (just before kickoff of the 11:00 AM NORTHWESTERN game, no less) and I have had three a-holes to deal with and those three a-holes have been much more the exception than the rule. This of course is including multiple opposing fans nearby for many of the games. A-hole number 1 was a Gopher fan that sat in front of me for about half the games of each of the first two seasons. He has been nowhere to be seen this year. Nothing major. the kind of guy that I wouldn't notice if he was nearby for just one game. But the cumulative effect of having him near for multiple games raised him to a-hole status. Just never could seem to agree with the refs ever and would blurt out strange comments about wanting opposing players to get hurt after trainers had to tend to Gopher players. Stuff like that. Just annoying. A-hole number two was a drunken Iowa fan sitting in the exact same seat for the one game this year. He let out a stream of f-bombs at the top of his lungs when Iowa missed their second field goal attempt and it didn't look like it was going to end until several people literally came over to yell at him and ask him to stop. He was as quiet as a mouse after that (thanks in part to the Gophers winning on the field). A-hole #3 was a 30-something female Wisconsin fan last Saturday. She spent the entire game loudly ripping on everything in the stadium and comparing how everything from school colors to mascots to quality of life was so much better in Wisconsin. During the break between the third and fourth quarter, as my wife stood up to stretch, this "thing" started yelling "Down in front!" Just a really strange person who appeared to be the type to ask waiters to pick all the toppings and sauce off the pizza she had just ordered.

If GV were to ever sit anywhere near me and actually say in person the kinds of inflammatory things he does here in the GH... he'd qualify as a-hole #4.

Alert the media. "Team that has recently not enjoyed much success does not fill stadium". Obviously something that's exclusive to the Gophers. At least it's nothing like the years before Alvarez arrived when Camp Randall was getting 10,000-13,000 fans per game I guess. I know, I know, most Badger fans don't recall football prior to the last 15 years or so.

For the most part, ticket prices don't deter fans. The product on the field does. Win games, people fill the stadium, whether the ticket prices are $30, $60, or $100. And as someone else noted, the $70 ticket price was not exclusive for just the Badgers. Grow some perspective. It happens all over the country, in any sport. I have Arizona Cardinal season tickets. This season, the big-time games on the home schedule are the Steelers and the Cowboys and the Cardinals made it tougher for visiting fans to get tickets to those games than the game against the Rams and the Seahawks. It's a fact of life.

It has to do with supply and demand, simple economics; not "getting as much money from Badger fans as you possibly can".

I don't have that much of a problem with Badger fans on the board. Just ones like you. Some of your fellow Badger fans bring a lot of insight and engaging discussion to the board and that's a good thing. You are clearly a person who takes enjoyment and satisfaction in provoking and annoying people and that speaks volumes about your character. To somebody like yourself, I can understand why you find entertainment on this board and it's certainly no surprise why you admire Bielema so much (unlike many Badger fans, who recognize him for what he is).

The people talking about how reasonably priced Season Tickets are hard to argue with. $70 for a "Premium" game is nothing. The "U" did what they could to maximize the take while keeping out as many Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin that they could. Last year's god-awful season and the lousy product that the Gopher put on the field the first 6-7 games this year are the only thing that kept the games from being sellouts.

The "bad behavior"? Check with security and the police. The number of incidents has gone WAY down since the move to TCF. It's probably not a coincidence that the number of Iowa and Wisconsin fans, and their access to booze has also dramatically declined.

Even then, they never had to put breathalyzers at the Dome the way the did in Madison.

Get booze into TCF, but keep it in the premium seats. People whining about $7o certainly aren't going to spring for a Suite!

This year's face value for tickets:

New Mexico St & Miami: $35
North Dakota State & Illinois: $50
Nebraska, Iowa & Wisconsin: $70

Next year I don't see any $70 games, nor nonconference $50 games.

They will prob charge at least $60 for Michigan

Alert the media. "Team that has recently not enjoyed much success does not fill stadium". Obviously something that's exclusive to the Gophers. At least it's nothing like the years before Alvarez arrived when Camp Randall was getting 10,000-13,000 fans per game I guess. I know, I know, most Badger fans don't recall football prior to the last 15 years or so.

For the most part, ticket prices don't deter fans. The product on the field does. Win games, people fill the stadium, whether the ticket prices are $30, $60, or $100. And as someone else noted, the $70 ticket price was not exclusive for just the Badgers. Grow some perspective. It happens all over the country, in any sport. I have Arizona Cardinal season tickets. This season, the big-time games on the home schedule are the Steelers and the Cowboys and the Cardinals made it tougher for visiting fans to get tickets to those games than the game against the Rams and the Seahawks. It's a fact of life.

It has to do with supply and demand, simple economics; not "getting as much money from Badger fans as you possibly can".

I don't have that much of a problem with Badger fans on the board. Just ones like you. Some of your fellow Badger fans bring a lot of insight and engaging discussion to the board and that's a good thing. You are clearly a person who takes enjoyment and satisfaction in provoking and annoying people and that speaks volumes about your character. To somebody like yourself, I can understand why you find entertainment on this board and it's certainly no surprise why you admire Bielema so much (unlike many Badger fans, who recognize him for what he is).

It is all perspective I guess. The $70 says we know our fans are not going to buy tickets and we are not going to try and sell them to our fans, so I guess we will take what we can get. I guess it is reasonable, but it does not say a lot about the product. I have a different view. There is a lot to sell down there. Great area, great game day environment, outdoor football on campus for the first time in 25 years. Maybe they don't think that is worth selling. Who knows.

Nice call out also. I generally respond to what is posted. If garbage is posted, I often post some garbage back. The internet is a dangerous place. Anyone can run their mouth that has absolutely no clue what they are talking about and people should be called out when they do that. The notion that Badgers fans don't think football was played before 1993 is absurd, it would be like saying Gophers fans don't think football was played after 1967. Obviously that is not the case.

I don't understand the sheer hatred that comes out when discussing Wisconsin and Minnesota from either side. It is a great mystery to me. Do you ever read some the things that are said on this board about Wisconsin? The same is true on the Badger boards about Minnesota. It is ridiculous.

People have some notion that because this is a Minnesota board, that anything goes. Anything can be said, true or untrue, as long as it is pro Gophers. I don't happen to believe that. I like to have a little higher standard than that. People also believe that because this is a Minnesota board, there should be no discourse from anyone that does not claim to be a Minnesota fan. I have never understood that notion. It makes no sense to me. So, I post when people say things that I think are stupid. I rarely start a thread and if I do it is quite positive, like this one is. That does not stop people from negative commentary, but that is fine. It is a free country.

I love Minnesota. Think it is a great place to live and raise a family. I root for a different college football team. Big deal. I know it is hard to believe for many on this board, but there is more to life then football.

Have a great day.

The prices they charge for tickets at TCF Bank Stadium are very much in line with other stadiums I've been to (including WI). They increased the price a little this year, but I think the last time I bought tickets at Camp Randall to see the Gophers it was $60 and that was a few years ago...

People assume ticket price is about filling the stadium. It's about profit maximization.

The seats that weren't sold for the Badger game were the student tickets that were released last week. There's nothing wrong with the $70 price for a "premium game".

Back to the discussion, here's my take. I attend 1-2 games a year, usually non-conference, half the time I buy them and half the time my buddy has access to free tickets.

Thought it would be fun to take my wife and son to the Badger game, paid $222 with service charges for tickets. Sat in end zone seats, section 228, row 27. These seats were not worth $74 a piece. Surrounded by Badger fans, I'm not lying when I say there were 75% Badger fans in our section. Had to listen to them say how lame it was that the 2 sections to our right weren't even sold, they were empty, they said this would never happen in Madison. Had to agree that it was kind of a lame atmosphere up there surrounded by them.

I would have a hard time paying that much again, especially when the only fight we put up was defending our goal post to be chopped down after the game. I mean really, the only sniff of the end zone our offense could get was from our bleeping kicker scoring a TD (who then proceeded to blow the PAT and boy did the Wisconsin faithful have fun with that), and the only way our RB could score was on a kick return. None of our offensive players did anything. I'd pay $50, won't be back for that at $70 again, especially to be at a home game and feeling like it was an away game.

I have sat in the same seats and I have never missed a game in TCF Bank Stadium. Over all those games, I have had very little to notice in the line of boorish behavior. I've had one young drunk dude vomit a few seats down from me (just before kickoff of the 11:00 AM NORTHWESTERN game, no less) and I have had three a-holes to deal with and those three a-holes have been much more the exception than the rule. This of course is including multiple opposing fans nearby for many of the games. A-hole number 1 was a Gopher fan that sat in front of me for about half the games of each of the first two seasons. He has been nowhere to be seen this year. Nothing major. the kind of guy that I wouldn't notice if he was nearby for just one game. But the cumulative effect of having him near for multiple games raised him to a-hole status. Just never could seem to agree with the refs ever and would blurt out strange comments about wanting opposing players to get hurt after trainers had to tend to Gopher players. Stuff like that. Just annoying. A-hole number two was a drunken Iowa fan sitting in the exact same seat for the one game this year. He let out a stream of f-bombs at the top of his lungs when Iowa missed their second field goal attempt and it didn't look like it was going to end until several people literally came over to yell at him and ask him to stop. He was as quiet as a mouse after that (thanks in part to the Gophers winning on the field). A-hole #3 was a 30-something female Wisconsin fan last Saturday. She spent the entire game loudly ripping on everything in the stadium and comparing how everything from school colors to mascots to quality of life was so much better in Wisconsin. During the break between the third and fourth quarter, as my wife stood up to stretch, this "thing" started yelling "Down in front!" Just a really strange person who appeared to be the type to ask waiters to pick all the toppings and sauce off the pizza she had just ordered.

If GV were to ever sit anywhere near me and actually say in person the kinds of inflammatory things he does here in the GH... he'd qualify as a-hole #4.

I respond to some of the trash that is posted on this board. Generally, people don't spout trash like you read here in public, so I am pretty sure we would not have a problem.

Back to the discussion, here's my take. I attend 1-2 games a year, usually non-conference, half the time I buy them and half the time my buddy has access to free tickets.

Thought it would be fun to take my wife and son to the Badger game, paid $222 with service charges for tickets. Sat in end zone seats, section 228, row 27. These seats were not worth $74 a piece. Surrounded by Badger fans, I'm not lying when I say there were 75% Badger fans in our section. Had to listen to them say how lame it was that the 2 sections to our right weren't even sold, they were empty, they said this would never happen in Madison. Had to agree that it was kind of a lame atmosphere up there surrounded by them.

I would have a hard time paying that much again, especially when the only fight we put up was defending our goal post to be chopped down after the game. I mean really, the only sniff of the end zone our offense could get was from our bleeping kicker scoring a TD (who then proceeded to blow the PAT and boy did the Wisconsin faithful have fun with that), and the only way our RB could score was on a kick return. None of our offensive players did anything. I'd pay $50, won't be back for that at $70 again, especially to be at a home game and feeling like it was an away game.

Well, I completely understand that and sympathize with it. But, if I only went to 1 game a year and my primary concern was to see a competitive game, I would've bought a ticket to Miami(Ohio) or maybe Illinois if I wanted to see a B1G game or even Iowa if I wanted to see a rivalry game. Miami games you could've gotten on StubHub or whatever for a total of maybe $40 or $50 (depending on what fees are, actual tickets you could've gotten for ~$6). Other games would've been closer to face, but Illinois is going for very cheap right now. We knew (or I did, and most people seemed to understand) that we weren't going to be great on the field this year.

But back to the OP, as Rose pointed out, this is about money. And you paid the $70, so why are you complaining? You would've preferred to pay less, but you paid $70, so who is smarter - you or the ticket office? You don't have to go to the game, you can watch it on TV or skip it altogether. But if you don't buy the tickets, others will. They were within a few hundred tickets of selling out, so they didn't price it too high. The empty sections were the result of student no-shows, which happens when your team is 2-7. Which gets back to the other half of your comments on ticket prices, which is Gophers fans not wanting to buy single game tickets. Gophers fans will want to buy when their team is 7-2, not 2-7. And that will make a bigger difference than whether the tickets are $50 or $70.

Well, I completely understand that and sympathize with it. But, if I only went to 1 game a year and my primary concern was to see a competitive game, I would've bought a ticket to Miami(Ohio) or maybe Illinois if I wanted to see a B1G game or even Iowa if I wanted to see a rivalry game. Miami games you could've gotten on StubHub or whatever for a total of maybe $40 or $50 (depending on what fees are, actual tickets you could've gotten for ~$6). Other games would've been closer to face, but Illinois is going for very cheap right now. We knew (or I did, and most people seemed to understand) that we weren't going to be great on the field this year.

But back to the OP, as Rose pointed out, this is about money. And you paid the $70, so why are you complaining? You would've preferred to pay less, but you paid $70, so who is smarter - you or the ticket office? You don't have to go to the game, you can watch it on TV or skip it altogether. But if you don't buy the tickets, others will. They were within a few hundred tickets of selling out, so they didn't price it too high. The empty sections were the result of student no-shows, which happens when your team is 2-7. Which gets back to the other half of your comments on ticket prices, which is Gophers fans not wanting to buy single game tickets. Gophers fans will want to buy when their team is 7-2, not 2-7. And that will make a bigger difference than whether the tickets are $50 or $70.

I was not talking about myself. I always buy from scalpers. Why sit in the top row when you can sit on the 50 for the same price.

My point was that I think it eliminates the possibility of selling tickets to your own casual fan base that you are trying to cultivate, but what do I know. If the lone goal was to make the most money, they certainly accomplished that. Based on comments on this board regarding the number of rival fans at the games, I think they may have wanted to look at it from another perspective. They will certainly have the opportunity to do that next year as Ruppert pointed out.

My main point was how nice the stadium is and the area in general. I think the U has done great things down there. The big question remains what to do with Williams and that is not going to be an easy solution.

It is all perspective I guess. The $70 says we know our fans are not going to buy tickets and we are not going to try and sell them to our fans, so I guess we will take what we can get. I guess it is reasonable, but it does not say a lot about the product. I have a different view. There is a lot to sell down there. Great area, great game day environment, outdoor football on campus for the first time in 25 years. Maybe they don't think that is worth selling. Who knows.

I love Minnesota. Think it is a great place to live and raise a family. I root for a different college football team. Big deal. I know it is hard to believe for many on this board, but there is more to life then football.

Have a great day.

I don't have the foggiest idea of what you are talking about. "The $70 says we know our fans are not going to buy tickets and we are not going to try and sell them to our fans, so I guess we will take what we can get." ???? How in the world does a ticket price have anything to do with the home team's ability to buy tickets?

You keep wanting to make this something more than it is, that somehow Badger fan is a different breed than most other football fans. The ticket office identified SEVERAL games on the schedule (one of them being the Wisconsin game) where they anticipated demand to be more than others, and priced the tickets accordingly.

You're right about one thing though. I don't understand the hatred either. It's college football, or college sports, or pro sports, or whatever it may be. It's not life. If you're associating yourself with the success, or lack thereof, of the team for which you root, you have a serious problem. It's like when I see a guy walking down the strip in Vegas in May wearing an Aaron Rodgers jersey or a Tom Brady jersey. All I can do is shake my head....

they said this would never happen in Madison.

When Wisconsin was bad, it did happen all the time.

I don't see any real problem with the ticket prices. If we were 7-3 right now it wouldn't even be an issue.

I don't have the foggiest idea of what you are talking about. "The $70 says we know our fans are not going to buy tickets and we are not going to try and sell them to our fans, so I guess we will take what we can get." ???? How in the world does a ticket price have anything to do with the home team's ability to buy tickets?

You keep wanting to make this something more than it is, that somehow Badger fan is a different breed than most other football fans. The ticket office identified SEVERAL games on the schedule (one of them being the Wisconsin game) where they anticipated demand to be more than others, and priced the tickets accordingly.

You're right about one thing though. I don't understand the hatred either. It's college football, or college sports, or pro sports, or whatever it may be. It's not life. If you're associating yourself with the success, or lack thereof, of the team for which you root, you have a serious problem. It's like when I see a guy walking down the strip in Vegas in May wearing an Aaron Rodgers jersey or a Tom Brady jersey. All I can do is shake my head....

Again, I have no problem at all with the price as it related to any Badgers fan getting into the game, or Hawkeyes fan or Huskers fan. If they wanted to charge $300 for the other tickets and they thought opposing teams fans would buy them, that would be absolutely fabulous. My point is that the price does not do anything to help get additional Gophers fans in the seats, other then the ones that have bought season tickets. They obviously made a business decision there. I would have made a different decision.

Fans bases are all the same. Each fan base has every type of fan, good, bad and indifferent. That is even true of Green Bay Packers fans and Minnesota Golden Gophers fans. Some are larger then others, that is about it.

See, we can agree on something, as your last paragraph suggests.

Again, I have no problem at all with the price as it related to any Badgers fan getting into the game, or Hawkeyes fan or Huskers fan. If they wanted to charge $300 for the other tickets and they thought opposing teams fans would buy them, that would be absolutely fabulous. My point is that the price does not do anything to help get additional Gophers fans in the seats, other then the ones that have bought season tickets. They obviously made a business decision there. I would have made a different decision.

Fans bases are all the same. Each fan base has every type of fan, good, bad and indifferent. That is even true of Green Bay Packers fans and Minnesota Golden Gophers fans. Some are larger then others, that is about it.

See, we can agree on something, as your last paragraph suggests.

I think our 2-8 record has a lot more to do with that than the price. Like I said, if we were 7-3 right now, this wouldn't be an issue.

The problem is all of these Badger fans moving to Minnesota trying to improve themselves. Wisconsin is not a great place to live. I would never be in Madison or Milwaukee running around in my Gopher gear acting like an ass. Selling cheese curds for a living just doesn't cut it. I know of one border where I would put up a wall.

Ours are $70/game for the Iowa, Wisc, and Nebraska games, but worth it. A much better value than the Vikes, and the perfect amount of games, IMO. I would much prefer 6-7 games a year (I usually go to 5-6) instead of 10 with the pro team.

All and all its a solid value.

Season tickets are $275 and up depending on where you want to sit, so it works out to just under $40/game for us.

Missed you at the game last weekend. Thought we could have met for a beer before the game? :cry:

Top Bottom